PDA

View Full Version : just dont believe it

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
10-17-2009, 09:53 PM
just got in from hunting today, seen a huge black bear and one moose, but the real excitment came when we came around a corner and there in the middle of the road was a wolverine. i have a tag so i scrambled out of the truck loaded my gun took aim as he stood broadside on the road at 50 yards. Bang and the bugger took off. i couldnt believe it, in all my excitment of just seeing my first wolverine, let alone the chance to shoot it i forgot to compensate my overshoot and fired it clean over top of him. not by much but enough. Oh well, many years left in my hunting career to try again :)

Big Lew
10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
just got in from hunting today, seen a huge black bear and one moose, but the real excitment came when we came around a corner and there in the middle of the road was a wolverine. i have a tag so i scrambled out of the truck loaded my gun took aim as he stood broadside on the road at 50 yards. Bang and the bugger took off. i couldnt believe it, in all my excitment of just seeing my first wolverine, let alone the chance to shoot it i forgot to compensate my overshoot and fired it clean over top of him. not by much but enough. Oh well, many years left in my hunting career to try again :)
Unless you're a trapper, or live around the wilderness up north, most people never get to see one in the wild. I'm almost 64, have spent a lot of time in the bush, and have only seen two, one in the upper stave river headwaters, and the other in the middle of the alaskan hwy. just south of pink mt. I was riding my touring bicycle, so was able to get very close before he heard me.

bruin
10-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Pretty small target, you gotta be on the ball to dust one of those things. I've seen about 8 now, never seem to have a hunter with a tag unfortunately.

KB90
10-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Aw that does kinda suck, but who knows maybe you will see another one and he wont be so lucky

boxhitch
10-17-2009, 11:38 PM
bruin, they are not even open til after we come out. Could have had two for sure and one maybe this year. They seem to hang around a series of goat cliffs, sightings each year.

Saw two making a play on a Dall ram, just off the Fossil

trigger
10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
i know how you feel.
i missed two wolves the other day at 75 yards. same thing. shot right over them both. its tough luck but thats what keeps us going right. cheers

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2009, 03:28 AM
I take it you live outside of BC since a species license for wolverine is no longer required in BC??

I've seen two in my life. One running the ridges in Stone's Sheep country and the other was ran across a slide during a spring grizz hunt.
Those buggers never stand still for very long!!

SSS

tikka boom
10-18-2009, 04:20 AM
i have seen one in my life and at first we thought it was a funny looking bedger until it got besidea coyote and was the same size. then it scared off the deer that it ran past and we started looking a bit bettter and the thing stood up and it all made sence. i live in south west sask and there has bin a couple shot down here but to see one is once in a life time

hunter1947
10-18-2009, 04:45 AM
There will be another time and you won't make the same mistake again ,next time bud.

boxhitch
10-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I take it you live outside of BC since a species license for wolverine is no longer required in BC??
:grin::grin:zziinngg

TyTy
10-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Last year (in princeton), on a walk, I heard something in the grass off the road. Ignored it. heard it again, identified that it was something bigger than a rabbit, so i chased this thing through some tall grass. I ended up cornering a badger on a steep cut bank. The bugger turned, growled at me and held its ground at 10m. They are very funny looking. Are wolverines much bigger than badgers?

takla1
10-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Only ever seen wolverines one time,30 k off alaska hyw,we set up camp in a clearing and that night woke up TO hear the most blood curding growling and fighting sounds.looked out the tent with flashlight to see two wolverines scrapping it out in the long grass about 30 meters from our tent.checked the area next morning and someone had dumbed the ,head lower legs and hide ,minus antlers of a recently killed elk right there.I'll never forget the sounds that came out of them critters!

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
10-18-2009, 10:56 AM

I've seen two in my life. One running the ridges in Stone's Sheep country and the other was ran across a slide during a spring grizz hunt.
Those buggers never stand still for very long!!

SSS

i live in pg, but never knew until now residence didnt need a wolverine licence, i knew you used to, but at least i know i wont need to purchase a licence next year :)

Barracuda
10-18-2009, 10:58 AM
:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Lone Ranger
10-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I seen one once with my dad up north east of Kamloops, he was rooting around in a field for something (mice maybe?). Sounded like a grizzly mauling something and needless to say since we didn't have a rifle with us we kept our distance. Was interesting to watch because we were about 75' away and he was so intent on what he was doing that he didn't see us. Makes me wish I owned a camera then. LR

IronNoggin
10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Ran into quite the handful of these over the time I worked in the Arctic. Most memorable:

A Buddy (Inuit) and I had set out for a remote whaling camp on the shore of the Beaufort Sea. Winter, cold, lots of snow, and we were going to be the only ones there. Plan was to hunt down a few Polar bears, him for the tag in his pocket, and me for the camera. Took an entire day to get to the destination, and light, what little there was at that time, was fading fast. We did note quite a few LARGE tracks from a wolverine that had been raiding the cabins while their owners were away, but thought little of that - common occurrence there...
So, we dug our way down into the cabin's entrance, opened her up, and began to get the woodstove roaring to chase away the shill. After 1/2 hour, we needed more fuel (already had dug the woodpile out enough to get to it), so I wandered up and out to do just that. The wind that day was coming off the hills, and the smoke from our fire was being blown out over the frozen sea. I got about 5 steps when I saw something dark on the ice of the lagoon... Hmmm... It's MOVING?
Took a moment to focus, then I realized that the creature was the largest wolverine I had ever (and still is today) seen. I reared up as big as I could get, and let out a mighty ROAR to inform the beast I was there. The reaction was immediate! He hunched, all the hair on his back came up, and he roared back with equal intensity! EEK! I took three stomping steps his way, and again roared. He obviously took this as a Battle Cry, and came running silent and FAST right at me! Double EEK! As a biologist, I had a handgun carry permit, and did have a little 22 auto tucked into the pocket of my skidoo suit. Clawing desperately at the flap that covered the little pea-shooter, I backed away as quickly as I could! Finally retrieved the pistol, jacked one under the hammer, and brought the sights to bear at about 3 feet - still closing! Dammit, only time for one, make it COUNT!
The little pop the gun produced instilled nothing in the way of confidence, but my ain was true, the bullet caught him just above and between the eyes. To my relief, the critter folded up, and rolled over right at my toes!!

May partner had heard the little "pop" and came out to see what i was plinking at. Bloody Big One he commented. Damn Lucky you got him, looks like you were on the menu he suggested!
aYup, that it seems I was.

Now that one's hide still graces my wall, and will for the rest of my days. Every time I look at it, the chill still runs down my spine. I was lucky enough to witness a battle between a Barren Ground Grizz and one of these devils. They are DAMN tough, and that particular fight ended up being a draw. methinks I would have fared FAR worse!

Cheers,
Nog

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2009, 02:06 PM
i live in pg, but never knew until now residence didnt need a wolverine licence, i knew you used to, but at least i know i wont need to purchase a licence next year :)

Take that tag back to whomever sold it to you. Say you want a refund:???:.

But make sure you pick up a couple of grouse tags since they are a new requirement this year:neutral:.

SSS

jackychiles
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I have seen one up close north of Revelstoke. I was just walking back to the truck and the bugger scrabbled up from under a little bridge. It looked at me and took off. It was fast too. really cool as I got a good look at it.