PDA

View Full Version : No Bull - (Moose that is)

Buckmeister
10-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I had to let one walk today.

I was up on the hill at first light and promtly spotted 11 mulies in about 5 minutes, nothing bulletworthy. It was lightly raining. I didn't see anything else until about 1:30 in the afternoon.

I decided to try this little road we had found a week before. Getting near the end of it I see a mooses head in the grass beside the road. He was beded down about 15' off the road and I was about 30 yards away. I could tell he was a small bull with my naked eye, but i brought the bino's up to confirm points. All I could see was white, my bino's had fogged up on the outside. The bull stood, looked at me for a few seconds and the trotted into the timber. I came up perpendicular to where he was laying and looked down the bank. He was there in the timber, still only 30 yards away, but now branches and leaves obscured his antlers, I could always see his body but not his head. My rifle has flip up lense caps, so I popped them open and had a look through the scope, but I still couldn't get a postive. I walked down the road a bit and noticed a game trail going in, I walked down it and saw him 2 more times but still couldn't get a confirmation. I was pushing him further down the hill and the timber was getting thicker and I dreaded having to drag him out as I was by myself so I let him go. Dang bino's. They cleared up a few minutes later.

A little while later I spotted a cow and calf not far from that location. Even though I was somewhat cold and soaked to the bone and skunked, it still was a decent day hunting. :cool:

tomahawk
10-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Great stuff and good on you for not shooting and confirming later!! I have done the same many times!

sparkes3
10-17-2009, 08:53 PM
i did the same thing on thursday i could hear his antlers clunking on the trees as he walked away but a cow was to close to him for me to take the shot.it got pretty intense when i thought we were finally going to fill our tag but it was way to thick to be sure which one was the bull so they got to walk this time.thw worst thing was when we went back on the last morning there was someone else camped out right on the road where we saw the moose the day before.we will probally find the kill site when we go back this weekend if not maybe we will get another chance at him.