PDA

View Full Version : Ten the hard way...

Duck Buster
10-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Today was another great shoot with Field Marshal and his grandson James. As you all know it was a miserable rainy day, with some fog in for good measure. We had a little trouble in the morning getting the truck back out of the field but after a little work we were set up and ready for the first birds of the day. It did not take long and a couple of min after shooting light we had our first mallard on the ground. The ducks flew well and I wish I could say that my shooting matched the birds but I can’t thank goodness for my hunting partner or we would have had no ducks from the next flock.
The geese were a tough go this morning coming in from the complete opposite direction that they came from the other day. But some work with the new goose flag and some good calling did the trick. We were treated to a whole mix of geese moving in the area, there were 5 speckle belies, 6 snow geese and a few cackling geese moving in the area, we did not get shooting at any of the snows or cacklers but they were nice to see. (And of course the speckles are not open here they were just a nice sight.)
It took some time but we managed to scrape out some birds. The shooting would improve on one group and fall right apart on the next. But there were just enough birds to keep us going. We ended the day, around 1030, with a limit of geese and 5 mallards for flavour. Even in the pouring rain it was a tone of fun. And young James will make one hell of a bird hunter when he is old enough, his calling and calmness in the blind would put many older hunters to shame, and his young eyes and ears found many incoming birds that the old boys could not see, or were talking too much to hear. Thanks James for a fun morning and keep up the good work, you can hunt with me anytime.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/James_-dog_-Jamie.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15748&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=7379)

kyleklassen
10-17-2009, 07:14 PM
sounds like a great day. get the kid to give it to the specks next year on the heritage days.

jsdboy
11-03-2009, 04:07 PM
oh the kids are good to have when hunting eh? I loved the comment about young eyes and ears. so train em up, use em and have fun.
thanks for the good read.

300win
11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Good shooting stoker man!! Good on Yah/ Cheers Chris