PDA

View Full Version : Goat Tracking

Climbit
10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
I was hunting for my LEH Mountain Goat the last few days and was not able to harvest a goat but I was able to find goat tracks and beds wich I figured to be about 1-2 days old. My question for you experienced goat hunters is how do you tell wich way the goat is travelling by the track ? . will the drag mark be at the front or the back or the track ? , my dog leaves drag marks behind her when she walks.

found this on google

http://books.google.com/books?id=LqqMfyY112QC&pg=PA167&lpg=PA167&dq=mountain+goat+tracks+snow&source=bl&ots=o6tIgBo0GB&sig=UXdzXHsFjseWPj5LSoSD6efMRGg&hl=en&ei=SBDZSvKNAYKysgP6mLGLBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=mountain%20goat%20tracks%20snow&f=false

long link, hope it works.

BCbillies
10-16-2009, 09:44 PM
The easiest method is to look for the wide splayed split hoof (toe) in the direction of travel. The drag may occur on both sides but I believe the drag will primarily occur in front of the track as the goat lifts its legs and moves forward.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Tracking goats. Thats a good one. How about milking wild bison cows while you are at it.

BCbillies
10-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Tracking goats. Thats a good one. How about milking wild bison cows while you are at it.

Good point! Tracking goats is not the norm . . . I've only tracked goats in the timber when the sign has been real fresh (within hours) or when I've basically bumped the goat. For tracks in the cliffs or for those that are a day or two old you're best off to get a good vantage and glass.

bushguy
10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Keep following it.no matter where it goes.sooner or later it will bed down and you can sneak right up on it in its bed.they like to bed when they get tired.dont let it get too far ahead of you.hurry its getting away.

tomahawk
10-17-2009, 10:40 AM
The easiest method is to look for the wide splayed split hoof (toe) in the direction of travel. The drag may occur on both sides but I believe the drag will primarily occur in front of the track as the goat lifts its legs and moves forward.

Bang on!!!!!!!!