PDA

View Full Version : Skunked in 5-01

Rhys
10-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Well we hunted hard October 1-10 on our moose draw but came away with only a 2x1 mulie, my brother in law's first deer.

We saw 5 cow moose in that time always in the same ares and set up to call and watch them for a long time each day, no bulls to be seen.

Finally ran into a bull in thick timber on the second to last day but he wouldnt come out for us to see him.

Weather was just starting to get colder before we were leaving and I hear the hunting got way better when we left.

I guess thats why they call it hunting and not Catching.

Good week away though, hunted the highlands most of the time and lost a lot of weight so it wasnt a total bust :D

happy hunting all!

Rhys

M.Dean
10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
It would be nice if we all could tag out each trip, but that wouldn't be hunting!!! It's about having fun and getting away from it all, and from the sounds of it you guys did!!! There's always next year!!!

Busterbrown
10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
I was also up in 5-01 for the Oct 1-14 bull draw. I saw in excess of 30 cows during the week. Most had very healthy calfs with them . I may have seen the same cows more than once as I hunted hard in a fairly confined area. I saw only three bulls during the week and managed to get one on second last day when the temp dropped to minus 15 . The drop in temp seemed to get the animals moving. It was nice to see the number of calfs that were around. I did see two different cows that had two young ones in tow. Does any one know if a cow with this years calf would be bread again during this years rut?? That was the theory I was using when I saw all the cows and no bulls.
The number of whitetail deer in our area is exploding, 60% of the deer we saw were whitetail.

Leaseman
10-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Good to hear you made it back in one piece Rhys.... Didn't think you could afford to lose weight though.....:tongue:

Guess it is time to go deer hunting noe eh! (and maybe a little dino hunting....:shock:)

Flingin' Sticks
10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
went back home to the Butte for thanksgiving last weekend, and wouldn't you know it, I had 2 bulls within 100 yrds just looking at me (one was about 20yrds away with a cow and just looked at me), and my draw is for PG...of course we have a mule deer tag and all I can find is white tail does...

tomahawk
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I did see two different cows that had two young ones in tow. Does any one know if a cow with this years calf would be bread again during this years rut?? That was the theory I was using when I saw all the cows and no bulls.

A healthy cow will breed every year she is mature and chase the calf from the previous year away when she delivers the new calf.