PDA

View Full Version : Bison access fee Thievery 7-57 A

10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Unbelievable !!

I have just hung up the phone to a member of the Blueberry Native Band representative to try to book a Bison hunt for December.

Last year friends went up for 1 tag and paid the band 175.00 access fee for the 1 tag they had. I can live with that split amoungst a group. BUT !!
He says access is 175 per person, I says you mean per tag ?? NO !
Person , things have changed this year . WHATEVER !!
We have 2 tags and were willing to pay the 350.00 bucks that we thought, instead they want, 1225.00 BUCKS , theres 7 of us. Man oh man talk about trying to take advantage of people ..... unreal.

Whats your thoughts?

Personally I think it's nothing short of thievery.
I guess we'll be driving around, finally I get a draw I have tried for every year since the start and this BS. I'll be darned if their getting it from me.

Unbelievable !!

Any info on how to do this with out the 175.00 per person would be appreciated.

CT

25tikka
10-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Atvs around the res...follow the halfway trail signs. First part is Jeepable but mud along the res fence is VERY deep and few winch points. I just came from there and you should be able to get a Bison without going that far in. Several before the res land.

r106
10-15-2009, 06:27 PM
wow thats a little steap :o. does that come with a guide LOL sorry can't help you
________
Arizona dispensary (http://arizona.dispensaries.org/)

300H&H
10-15-2009, 06:29 PM
I thought Id give it to ya straight !!!

http://gapopensource.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/your-screwed.thumbnail.jpg (http://gapopensource.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/your-screwed.jpg)

10-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Very constructive 300.

Thanks for the input.

CT

10-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Won't the mud bog be frozen by December? Maybe snowmobiles would provide better access?

25tikka
10-15-2009, 06:38 PM
If there is enough snow for a sled then its a non event. The trail is about 8 km around the res land. More of a concern may be accomodation.

300H&H
10-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Very constructive 300.

Thanks for the input.

CT

Maybe not but I think it was funny.

But seriously, they have some thing you want and they are trying to get what they can from you and anyone else who has a draw. I think it is excessive ! Sure , charge the HUNTER a access/trespass fee but not the helpers. Thats just taking advantage of the situation. But you do have a choice to hunt else where. Or is your draw JUST for their land ?

HD95
10-15-2009, 06:49 PM
curly top;Pm bridger,on an earlier post he stated exactly how to go around the thieves land.

waistdeep
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
just came from there, yep 175 per head and we had 4 heads. saw more game in the last few weeks then we have for years, cow calfs are all being shot by the natives but everything from 185 white tails to 1800 lb bison with tons of elk as well as gris and wolves were our daily entertainment. Don't go there often but it was worth it. Old boy Vern is a happy sort that will take your cash and give some pointers for the venture. Have fun, we did!

Ozone
10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Please give them what they deserve......nothing.

ruger#1
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Wow looks like we have two governments taking money from us.

waistdeep
10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know, thier land and you want to cross it. If someone constantly wanted to cross your yard year after year with trailers wouldn't you want to start jacking the prices of coming across. Free enterprise is free enterprise - supply and demand. Our country was built on that......

RiverBoatFantasy
10-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I'd be thinking of doing a trip for a farm raised bison if I wanted one that badly, a young one at that. No offence but I would never consider that hunt - ever.

silvercreek20
10-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Ya they only hit us last year for 175.00 for the tag and there were three of us. I think that might have been because we booked a small cabin on the ranch with them also??? Not sure.

What you are saying now is robbery. When you hit the gate of the ranch turn right and up just a ways there is a spot to set up a camp. I would continue on and go around the ranch on the trail.

Good luck.........yikes!!

jayrod
10-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Just make sure you bring cash!!! We had to go all the way back to 101 because we only had $175 for the one tag in our group. Not so.....$700 cash to drive no more than 5K. However we did get a receipt :biggrin:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs216.snc1/8329_150971788007_502148007_2778612_1608885_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs216.snc1/8329_150971853007_502148007_2778613_6898358_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs236.snc1/8329_150971878007_502148007_2778614_1808698_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs216.snc1/8329_150972018007_502148007_2778618_1265703_n.jpg

calvin L
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Vern Is back good as he is one of the eaisest one to deal with . 175 a head is steep . But it is there land . Also there is a away around it . You should be able to get a bull before the gate in the flats to the left . (If not on the road )Good luck and have fun .

calvin L

treeclimber
10-15-2009, 10:00 PM
he wasnt easy for us, 2hrs later he let us through

Bear Chaser
10-15-2009, 10:48 PM
If you have four wheelers or sleds when the snow is deep enough just go around. Most of the Halfway River Trail signs have been pulled out or removed from the posts but if you study a map before you go in it shouldn't be a problem.
I was just in there this past weekend. Most of the soft areas were very hard due to frost. It was -21 C on Sunday morning.
There are lots of buffalo & guided buffalo hunters all working the same piece of ground accessible by four wheelers.
Good luck.

sawmill
10-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Just go to Dawson Creek and buy one from Ross Carlson,he`s been raising them for years.Probably cheaper too.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Just go to Dawson Creek and buy one from Ross Carlson,he`s been raising them for years.Probably cheaper too.

And a tractor to hoist and skin

Devilbear
10-16-2009, 07:59 AM
The Bison were introduced into that area by a WHITE man and now the aboriginals can take even MORE money from hardworking BC taxpayers to allow access to them?????

Time to "fish or cut bait" on aboriginal issues, IMHO.

bigwhiteys
10-16-2009, 08:01 AM
I second the ranched buffalo idea... Buy 2 buffalo for that access fee and have some awesome eats. Nobody has to know they weren't wild.

Carl

silvercreek20
10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
I second the ranched buffalo idea... Buy 2 buffalo for that access fee and have some awesome eats. Nobody has to know they weren't wild.

Carl

Yup, they sell em right here, just up the road a wee bit on the likely highway. He will even let you shoot it yourself if you want.

Gunner
10-16-2009, 10:19 AM
You can't blame them for charging to cross their land,even if the cost is outrageous.The problem is that when Gordon Campbell gets the Reconciliation Act through the Legislature,it'll ALL be their land!That's when the S**T hits the fan! Gunner

7mag700
10-16-2009, 10:57 AM
I went with a friend on that hunt last year. We took the trail around their land on 4-wheelers without difficulty, although it was PLENTY cold, and there wasn't much snow yet.

If you need help with the route I'd be happy to fill you in or even come up there and get you started out on it.

When you get back in on the hunting grounds, make sure you look up in the hills, don't just stick to the trails. After day 1 there is so much pressure back there that you will not see a single bison anywhere near the trail. If you look WAY up on the hills and banks you'll see trails traversing the steep ground - I was shocked to learn that the bison travel around way up there. Shortly thereafter we found our anmal.

I also highly recommend a cheap chainsaw filled with canola oil for chain lube. Makes quartering a piece of cake.

Good luck!

7m7

Devilbear
10-16-2009, 11:18 AM
You can't blame them for charging to cross their land,even if the cost is outrageous.The problem is that when Gordon Campbell gets the Reconciliation Act through the Legislature,it'll ALL be their land!That's when the S**T hits the fan! Gunner

That particular little con game did not fly with the aborigines themselves and I doubt that Gordo will be quite so accomodating toward them once the Olympics is over and we are paying for THAT imbroglio.

The ...S**T...WILL ...hit the fan... here in BC sooner or later, in any event and my feeling is that ALL treaties should be disallowed by legislative fiat and a "Declaration of Canadian Independence and Equality" be appended to our constitution....right beside the one to guarantee the "Right to keep and bear arms" that we need so much.

d6dan
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Nov_2003_Buffalo_6.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15723&size=big&cat=500)

Curly Top
Heres a farmed hunt I did in 2004. Tasted as good as wild Buffalo. $400.00 and even cleaned it for me..( this was a one time hunt) He doesn't do this for everyone. Just so you know.

joed4040
10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Like the fella said "you dont have to pay the fee just take the road around". It may take a bit longer but it can be done. Im betting the previous outfitter white or otherwise didnt open the gates for everyone and anyone. Does anyone know if the land in question is deeded?.

Mik
10-16-2009, 12:31 PM
PM Sent, Mik

browningboy
10-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey CT,
When you get to the main entrance (muskwa-kechicka sign) go straight for about two or three kms, then on your right hand side you will see half way trail sign, take this trail and immediately as you go in theres a beauty camp site on your right hand side, nice and grassy but anyhow go follow this trail and you'll find the buffalo, remember my pics in open chat, its right around there and the buffalo were on public land.

Good luck dude!

eaglesj
10-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I do find it interesting that the government gives us permission to hunt there, and they charge us to go. Anyhow, I also noticed that several people gave good advice as to where to go. I have the 7-57b draw, and would like some advice as to where to go. Thanks

ratherbefishin
10-17-2009, 06:39 AM
The unfortionate thing is they could have make a very legitimate and profitable enterprise off of this by building and renting cabins-even providing horses for a traditional hunt and processing facilities for those who wanted it.Had they chosen this route-instead of charging userous tresspass fees and providing nothing-people would be spreading the word they were good guys to deal with,and they would probably be making more money as well as providing employment for their band members...

ingo
10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
rent a 8wheel argo and get araund the reserve also good for packing 7 hunter in and all the meat out

David Heitsman
10-17-2009, 09:07 AM
D6Dan:

Nice buff man. Good eats too!

The per man charge ($175) seems high unless that granted everyone who paid hunting permission as well but there's not much open in December.

GRH
10-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Ratherbefishin: Your idea of what they could have done makes sense except for one small detail

It involves WORK

ratherbefishin
10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
this isn't the thread for this topic-but when we set up the whole welfare system we destroyed people by taking the incentive away to work-putting a roof over their head and food on the table.And-then-even when there WERE some FN people who wanted to live a healthly lifestyle-the anti trapping crowd destroyed the fur market,robbing them of that source of employment.Residential schools took away their kids with disasterous results[ever wondered what it would be like to have somebody take you away from your mom and dad when you were about 7 or 8 years old for up to 10 months a year?]

But-be that as it may, the harsh reality is then is then and now is now-and the fact is if they want to live a healthy lifestyle-there ARE opportunities-and they DO involve work-which results in personal RESPECT.

I ,for one would be delighted to go up there, rent a cabin from them,pay someone to help me pack out a bison and go on home with memories of a good hunt and new friends.But charging $1125 per person for absolutely nothing other than crossing their land is utterly rediculous-and I wouldn't pay it even if I did have the money

kgriz
10-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Not to crap on this complain parade as I'm the first person to grumble about access HOWEVEVER, after reading similar posts about this over the years and then talking TO THE NATIVE WHO LIVES AT THE GATE WHO TAKES YOUR MONEY it became quickly clear as to where all the rumors were coming from..............This is what he told me and how he charged us and it made ALOT of sense of how things got quickly confused:

1. It was 175 per hunter DURING THE TIME OF YEAR WHEN EVERYBODY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO HUNT ELK, DEER, MOOSE ETC.
2. Late season hunts ( which we were on) when other game was closed, was 175 per bison tag-holder.

Pretty simple I thought and laughed about all of the people SOOOO confused about some people being per hunter and others per bison tag-holder.
Furthermore, when I first saw him I told him that we were going to try going around once and then decide.....not only did he not mind but also gave us some pointers as to where the trail was! After going around once it became very clear ( at least that year ) that one crash through one of the deep gullies and/or trees would cause more damage and cost on a quad or sled than the access fee. Trust me, due to my job I've accessed a lot of really gross areas on ATV's and this spot just isn't worth it if you are successful on a large bull and conditions are poor. This was 2 years ago, so they might have changed their policies, but I really doubt it as its still early and other animals are open.

branman_2000
12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I was also up in this year for opening weekend and had talked to Vern to find out the entry fee and turned back. we camped at the nice site just a few kms back by and took the trail there. got through to the real messy spot by their fence still no sight of any game. we were wondering where to go from there? is there any way to go left and follow their property more or just limited to the right?

bridger
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
actually i don't think i would pay the fee this time of year. good snow and if you take sleds going around the ranch is pretty easy. different story when youhave to take quads. also this is not a reservation it is a ranch that the blueberry band fee simple. the ranch belonged to the old time outfitter lynn ross.

Chironomid_16
12-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Just got back on Sunday with a bull! The trail around the ranch is more than tolerable, except the extra 8km. There is no nedd to pay the little extra to go through the ranch. Also spotted bison few miles up the trail.

Fraink
12-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Just got back from A and used the trail around, the traffic was making the trail rough but still not bad. Hauled 500 lbs out in one go with a 500 skidoo skandik and one of the $150 cosco skimmers, worked great!!

PeaceHunter
12-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Like the fella said "you dont have to pay the fee just take the road around". It may take a bit longer but it can be done. Im betting the previous outfitter white or otherwise didnt open the gates for everyone and anyone. Does anyone know if the land in question is deeded?.

yup, privately owned

Mtnguy
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
IMO paid access is something that needs to be addressed by the public immediately.

Allowing paid access is opening all kinds of doors that will eventually allow the "Haves" to hunt while the "Have nots" will not be able to afford it.

Might not be such a big issue in BC at the moment, but here in Alberta where a majority of the land from Athabasca south is private I would not like to see any type of paid access be allowed. The Alberta government tried to implement a "Pilot project" in Southern AB that would begin to open doors for paid access, and luckily enough the resident population was able to get it shut down. Either allow access or don't... access for payment should be illegal.

MG

bridger
12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
in my view paying to have access to private land for hunting is inevtiabe in bc. as landowners continue to bare the burden of increasing elk and deer popultations they are going to look for ways to migitage their losses and trespass fees or leasing income is a natural path for them to follow. as resident hunters we should be pressuring the government to compensate land owners for wildlife damages with the proviso the land owner allows hunting to the general public. the last thing we want is the alberta systen where guide outfitters can lease hunting rights on private land and exclude those hunters ( residents) that cannot pay an aborbendant fee to the outfitter for the opportunity to sit in a baited blind for 10 days with the hope of harvesting a buck. time to get off the fence boys. Join the BCWF and send a donation to the Resident angler and hunting preservation fund or zip it. that simple.

Franko Manini
12-23-2009, 01:15 AM
I'd get the name of the band representative, and ask them if they are declaring that money to Canada Revenue.

I'd give you 50/50 odds that your price would change.

bridger
12-23-2009, 01:57 AM
I'd get the name of the band representative, and ask them if they are declaring that money to Canada Revenue.

I'd give you 50/50 odds that your price would change.

you are not serious? are you?

Mtnguy
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
in my view paying to have access to private land for hunting is inevtiabe in bc. as landowners continue to bare the burden of increasing elk and deer popultations they are going to look for ways to migitage their losses and trespass fees or leasing income is a natural path for them to follow. as resident hunters we should be pressuring the government to compensate land owners for wildlife damages with the proviso the land owner allows hunting to the general public. the last thing we want is the alberta systen where guide outfitters can lease hunting rights on private land and exclude those hunters ( residents) that cannot pay an aborbendant fee to the outfitter for the opportunity to sit in a baited blind for 10 days with the hope of harvesting a buck. time to get off the fence boys. Join the BCWF and send a donation to the Resident angler and hunting preservation fund or zip it. that simple.

I truely hope for my kids sake that paid access is not inevitable...

With that I do agree that land owners and ranchers are trying to make up for "lost revenues" (for lack of better wording) due to resident wildlife. But would you agree that if the farmers and ranchers are feeling the financial crunch they themselves should be lobbying the government? And would you agree that with government funding using tax payers moneyies there should be MANDATORY access to their lands for hunters? After all would we not be subsidising their businesses? Now as hunters do we not have a solution to these pesky critters that eat their hay and ruin fences? Do you know anyone that would be able to help these farmers out by harvesting animals on their lands that may otherwise be safe havens because there is no access to the land?

I am sorry if I was not clear in explaining the Alberta system. Currently in Alberta it is illegal to recieve compensation for access to private or public land. There has been more than one proposal to introduce different types of paid acces and fortunatley the different hunting associations have been able to ward these proposals away. Our friends down south have not been as lucky. States like Texas, Montana, and Wyoming all have different forms of paid access for hunters, and surprise surprise the land is almost exclusive to guides and outfitters... Unless of course you are willing to pay $4000 to access a ranch in Texas to shoot a whitetailed deer.

One thing I am in complete agreement with is that the Associations need our help, the group with the larest amount of like minded people, and funds will win, and with all of the different groups that are threatening our hunting heritage we as sportsmen need to step up in a big way.