PDA

View Full Version : trying for my first deer ( first big game )

r106
10-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm trying for my first mule deer this year.. There is a grassy field next to a lake/pond in the area I was going to check out this weekend in 3-13 it's at the base of an eastern facing slope. the lake is at 3500-4000ft. Am I wasting my time or should I look for something with a southern facing slope? In the same general area we saw 3 doe's crosing the road. Would it be better to find were the doe's are coming and going. I'm guessing but the does we saw looked to be headed towards one of the lakes. But were coming down the north face of a mountain. I've heard the bucks will travel alot? Do the doe's travel too?
Should I hike into were the field is and sit there all day? or should I try and track the doe's? Find the doe's find the bucks? and there is cattle in the area how do they effect the deer?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated or if any one knows of a good book on the habits of deer that would be great also

Thanks

10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
i would go to your spot and sit for a few hours (10:00). Then have a look around. You can learn alot about deer movement when still hunting. Mulies arent as smart as whitetails so still hunting works quite well.
as a rule in the colder seasons south is best but if you dont go to your spot you will always wonder.

r106
10-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Ya I think I will try the spot by the lake but it doesn't look like the wind is going to be blowin in the ideal direction so it should be fun!! does having cattle around effect the deer?

treeclimber
10-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I used to think so, but this year I have seen deer feeding 5 feet from cattle so who knows

BigBanger
10-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Climb the ridges man. Go where ever and look for some sign. You will know if your in the right place because there will be shit all over the ground and lots of prints.

bigshooter
10-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Find a large amount of sign and lots of animals then narrow it down to buck sign. Look for rubs this time of year.

5 spike
10-16-2009, 04:34 AM
keep staying and watching those does, it wont be long and it will happen. like 835 said you can learn alot by still hunting. again stay on those does. good luck

r106
10-16-2009, 09:12 AM
thanks for the advice guys. I have found alot of old rubs and what look like old beding areas but not alot of fresh stuff I'll try this new spot for a couple hours and then go for a walk, if I see nothing it might be time to move on?

huntwriter
10-16-2009, 07:10 PM
thanks for the advice guys. I have found alot of old rubs and what look like old beding areas but not alot of fresh stuff I'll try this new spot for a couple hours and then go for a walk, if I see nothing it might be time to move on?

Keep an eye on those rubs. If the rubs are territorial or part of a staging area they will be refreshed when the rut starts.

r106
10-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Keep an eye on those rubs. If the rubs are territorial or part of a staging area they will be refreshed when the rut starts.

Thanks good to know.. There was an area on the edge of a clearing that has about 6-8 rubs and in the center there is a depression in the ground about 16" deep and about 4' x 7'. It doesn't look to be any fresh sign. I'll take closer look and keep an eye on it

huntwriter
10-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks good to know.. There was an area on the edge of a clearing that has about 6-8 rubs and in the center there is a depression in the ground about 16" deep and about 4' x 7'. It doesn't look to be any fresh sign. I'll take closer look and keep an eye on it

Are these rubs in a line? If so you found a rub line. Rub lines always lead to an important crossing, trail intersection or a staging area. Rub lines also will tell you which direction the buck travels. For example, if the trees are rubbed on the north side the buck travels south. Find out where the rub line leads too and then set up near the crossing, intersection or staging area. Check the rub line from a distance, if you can, for fresh sign. If you discover fresh sign hunt.

If the rubs you found on the edge of the clearing are inside the treeline and appear randomly you may have discovered a staging area. Staging areas are places where bucks will gather some time before dark and wait until it is dark before they enter an open feeding area, such as a field or cut block. It's also a place where bucks hang out and scent check the females in the field/cut block to determine their estrus status. Staging areas are always downwind of feeding sites or doe bedding areas.

hunter1947
10-18-2009, 05:57 AM
You just got to be out there and if in the right place at the right time you will fill your tag ,good luck.

r106
10-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Well I tryed the new area and nothin ( it looked better on google earth LOL ) as of saturday morning no new sign on those rubs. So saturday afternoon we checked out another spot about 18-20 km's away. Found alot of sign some fresh rubs and saw 2 does.

So I went back there today, got there at first light sat until 10. nothin. Checked out some more area. Found my first shed 8 point moose antler:smile: . Seen about a dozen grouse.

So went back to were I was in the morning and spooked two deer up the hill :oops: another doe was on the road. She didn't seem to be able to figure out what i was. I guess my cammo works! She walked up to 50 yards right at me, and then the wind changed and she was gone.. But when I aproached the clearing I heard another go up in the opposite direction and it wasn't going to far so I found a nice spot sat down and heard a grunting almost like a bull or something and heard sticks breaking once in while. It sounded like it was trying to circle around me and then I heard another stick break and saw a deer take off. I couldn't see if it was a buck or not.. I guess I have alot to learn but it was fun

and I did shoot a grouse on the way home so I wasn't empty handed :razz:

r106
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
huntwriter

Thanks for the info on the rubs. very usefull info.

brian
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
She didn't seem to be able to figure out what i was. I guess my cammo works! She walked up to 50 yards right at me, and then the wind changed and she was gone..

Even when you are not wearing camo, they can't figure out what the hell you are as long as you arn't moving. Their detail vision sucks, they gave it up for night vision, a wider field of view, and more sensitivity to motion. I wouldn't give up on these areas, you are seeing great stuff.