PDA

View Full Version : hunting trip

Blacktailz
10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
i drew a moose draw for reg 5-06 so we left on oct 8th for charlotte lake and set up camp there. we hunted hard for 3 days and covered alot of ground(mostly road hunting as we didn't know the area) in the 3 dayz of hunting we found minimal sign. we talked to alot of the locals in the area and they all pretty much said the same thing.(it is possible but there arent much game around this time of year.)We did anywho see a nice big cariboo by himself. he was a big bull so i was told by my brother in law who has hunted lots of game over the years. lots of grouse and ptarmigan in the area but there was just no moose around so we decided to pull the pin. we headed back out towards williams lake and set camp back up. We ended up hunting in an area that my bro inlaw has hunted for many years and has taken some nice big mulies and he has also seen people take nice ones out of the area. Anyways we seen roughly about 300+ deer in the three dayz, all mulies. my father inlaw toook a nice meat buck with his 16 gage and a slug from like 20 yards (2 point.) After that we hiked alot of timber and field edges and were constantly jumping deer all over the place.i could not believe the deer activity once u left the roads and actually started walking around. on the second to last day we decided to do the same hike that we were seeing alot of deer. We were sneeking along in the meadowey timber when we cameover a rise and right in front of me about 25 yards was a nice 3point looking at me, the way he was standing down in a grass hole i could n ot get the shot off and he broke out with 4 does and a smaller 2 point and did not give me a chance. So on the last morning we decided to get out way before dark and try another area where we had seen lots of activity early morning and evening. We hiked in about a half hour and hunkered down under a fir tree with like 4 feet tall grass with a nice vantage point and view of the clearings. We sat there for what seemed like forever(was actually like 30 mins) waiting for shooting lite. as soon as it broke light we had a big doe come from our left side and walk directly in front of us from 35 yards but there was no buck with her we decided to cross the field and get in the timber. it was way to crunchy so we went back and continued along the field edge about 25 yards, 7 deer busted out to cross the field right infront of us. We both dropped to our knees the lead deer was a nice 3 point and he stopped about 85 yards on the crest of a hill. i knew being the last day i wanted this deer i drew the "virgin" (7mm rem mag that i bought about a week before from the new wholesalesports store in nanaimo)put the cross haris on the lungs and gently squeezed off a 175 grain. booooooooom i could see the deer had been hit by the way he jumped (Crumpling in mid air)awesome sight. We knew he was down and we were gigling in excitment. Crested the hill where he was and he was down .Didn't even go 10 feet. We did see some larger bucks on this trip but did not present any shots. all in all it was an awesome trip and i got a taste of what hunting the main land is like. Im eating moose tag soup but i got my first of many mainland mulie's. the scenery was breath taking .:-Phttp://deer037.jpg/

Blacktailz
10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs280.snc1/10716_325567965584_751805584_9490339_6107745_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9490339&id=751805584)

dawn2dusk
10-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Congrads! Nice deer clean kill good story and pic. I still waiting for my first moose too. it will be a great day.

mpotzold
10-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Sometimes hunting moose and being successful is simply just the luck of the draw.
2 years ago in 5-03 the moose was harvested in the first day.
Years back north of Nation River we shot a large moose the first morning. A group of hunters had been hunting the same area for 2 weeks without success.
In general we normally get our moose within the first 2 to 3 days.
Sometimes they just seem to vanish from an area. Wolves, poaching, night hunting, overhunting…..who knows??
Just got back from 7-38 with an uncancelled moose tag. Saw no fresh signs (just a very few older ones) and decided to head home. Didn’t want to hunt deer in PG area as we will be going for at least 2 deer hunts in 5-03.
Congratulations on your deer and I agree wholeheartedly about the breath taking scenery. You were hunting in God’s country my friend!

hunter1947
10-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Nice animal you got there ,will be fine meat on the table this year ,congrats on the deer.