PDA

View Full Version : Brambles and Rattler GRIZZLY ATTACK sheep adventure

Pages : [1] 2

Brambles
10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
This story starts as a Bighorn hunt, Rattler and I decided to backpack in to an area I'd been once before. We get all our gear and prepare for cold weather hunting rams.

Monday October 12th we set out and drive to the trailhead. We then Don our packs and start the trek in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA120143.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA120144.jpg

We decide to set up the tent half way up the valley so we can be more central to multiple glassing spots and relatively close to a small water source.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA140147.jpg

The first evening resulted in a single yew spotted.
We then have dinner and go to bed, prepared for the cold, it had been brutally cold the past few days and Rattlers sleeping bag was only good till -1. He wore many clothes to bed and was toasty warm.
My bag was a -18 bag and I only slept in my long undies.

Second day We woke up to a beautiful day, we split up to glass for the morning. Rattler spotted 9 yews and a small 1/2 curl ram.
From my vantage I spotted two 1/2 curl rams.
Rattler joined me at lunch and we decided to do a water run up the valley and get a better vantage on the area I had been glasssing.

At the dim remainder of daylight hours I finally spotted what we were looking for, looked like a ram that was worth a closer look. It was a long difficult spot, he was bedded and only parts of him were showing, Although there was no daylight to get closer and size him up we made plans to go up early the next morning and do exactly that.

The third day we woke up to a snow storm and fog down to the valley bottoms. It was a tent day and we were a little peeved being cramped in a two man tent in October reading books, thank god we brought books incase of this. The weather sort of broke for the evening so we hiked in but never seen the ram.
We made mountain house dinners again and hoped for good glassing weather the next day.

NOW THE PART THAT I WILL REMEMBER FOREVER

That evening at 9:50 pm Rattler turns off his headlight and puts it away with his book and goes to sleep. Louis L'amour had me enthrawled in a tale so I kept reading, about 30 minutes later I hear something.

The beat of heavy footprints.

Thu..Thump, Thu...thump, Thu... Thump, Thu.. Thump

And the Sound of huffing

Hufffff Huf, Huffff Huf, Hufff Huf, Huffff Huf as the footsteps fell

Believe me, a sound that makes my hands shake while I write this.

I SPRANG to the sitting postition and woke Rattler, I grabbed my gun but I had to jack a shell in the chamber cause I didn't want to risk the rifle going off with one in the tube accidentally in a really small tent, or roll over on it in the middle of the night and it go off. I will now sleep with one in the tube.

The sounds got louder and you could feel them in the ground and pit of your stomach.

Its gonna come through the tent, only mear seconds have past, it happened sooooo quickly. We both yell HEY HEY HEY GIT OUT OF HERE, in an attemp to let the bear know what we were, it didn't matter it only came in faster. I couldn't get the shell in the gun before the Attack. It hit the tent and flattened both me and Rattler, the bear was more on top of Rattler and now he's fighting.

Remember we are wrapped up in a tent, Rattler is in the Dark and I can only see a furry of blue tent thrashing, biting and clawing. Rattler is fighting for his life, swinging and kicking and yelling I Grab the bear with my left arm and push it up and off of Rattler at the same time with my Right hand I close the bolt on the rifle and jam the rifle barrel into the bear. The bear didn't like being shoved around and spun and bit me in the left forearm, I could feel its teeth bight down, sink in and I thought to myself, That didn't feel too bad, is that all you got. I had to repostition the rifle because it nocked loose when it spun and bit. I pull the trigger and NOTHING HAPPENS. In the panic I hadn't pulled the bolt back far enough to grab a shell out of the magazine. My heart sank and thought that this was going to be the end of things, I had no idea how bad Rattler was hurt.

Then it all stopped, I frantically found the door to the tent and tore through it like a madman while chambering a round for certain this time, Having no idea where it went I Scanned the area, it had retreated. I could feel the blood free flowing from my arm. I unzipped Rattler from the tent and we were completely shocked. We surveyed the injuries and there was nothing too bad considering we just got piniata'd by a grizzly bear.

We calmed down and Rattler stood guard with a loaded rifle while I got a bonfire lit. After about an hour we packed up camp and then we waited for another hour before we hiked back out to the truck.

That truck was a welcome site. We drove to the hospital, got there at about 3am.

Luckily Rattler was wearing multiple jackets to bed, so his bites were only punctures and some real good bruizing, his forearm has to be Xray'd because it might be fractured. Mucho Sore. He also got bit or clawed in the thigh.

My arm is nearly painless, considering the holes she tore in my forearm I am astonished.

Here is the tent, all flattended. Every pole broke, all tore to shreds. She even managed to bite my alarm clock and break it....bitch.

Yes thats right, it was a sow and a cub. Not sure if they both partook in the beatin or not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA140155.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA140151.jpg

Brambles
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Now for the Squeemish, these are some slightly graphic pictures

Brambles
10-15-2009, 10:52 AM
My blood smear

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA140156.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA140157.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA140149.jpg

At the hospital. The pictures don't really show how deep it acutually is and how tore up the underlying meat actually is......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA150159.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/PA150167.jpg

Brambles
10-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I consider us two VERY VERY lucky fella's, I'm just happy we can come home to our families.

bighornbob
10-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Amazing!! Glad you guys both made it home safe. I guess beers will be on me at the WSSOBC while you retell the story.

BHB

bighornbob
10-15-2009, 10:55 AM
On a side note, how did the pack work for you??

Once again glad you are safe.

BHB

WKCotts
10-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Holy sh*t! Glad to hear you guys made it out ok!

PGK
10-15-2009, 10:57 AM
****!!!!! That's the reason I sleep with one in the tube. Man, glad to hear you're ok. Shit man, wow.

10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
WOW HOLY $HIT WTF!
Man glad you were abel to tell us a storie

Brambles
10-15-2009, 10:59 AM
On a side note, how did the pack work for you??

Once again glad you are safe.

BHB

Pack has worked out really well, packed out two bull elk this year and a mule deer last year. Handles the weight well, the elk antlers kinda threw the balance off and it was a little painfull with them pulling the pack down and away, but I could have readjusted the rack, just chose not to.

seanps
10-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Whoa! What a story. I'm glad you made it out (relatively) OK.

Any idea what brought the bears on? In the "after" picture of the tent, it looks like your cooking gear, pots, etc., are stashed right beside the entrance?

10-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Wow that's quite a story Brambles, glad you guys are OK.

showtimebc
10-15-2009, 11:01 AM
when we are all out in the woods, this is the game we play!

scary story there, and glad you guys survived to tell us about!

I had a simular situation goat hunting when I woke up to hear a grizzly coming towards the tent. Luckily for me I was about to get outside the tent and scare him off before things escalated to anything.

hope the wounds heel soon for you guys!

tufferthandug
10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Holy shatballs!!! Quite the event!!

Scars to prove it!! Awesome! That's a story you will be telling for years to come!

Ltbullken
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Wow! Glad you guys are alive and otherwise not too seriously hurt. Any thoughts on what brought the attack on?

Sideofabarn
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow, that is some scary stuff! Think I'll be sleeping in the canopy of the truck more now...

irishbandit1
:shock: You two are freakin lucky to be here still.Glad you guys made it out and are not hurt worse.Hope you guys heal up soon and get back in the saddle.
Cheers,Steve.

thepitchedlink
That my friends is quite a story. Glad you've got all your bits....Yup, sleep with one in the tube from now on.

bigwhiteys
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Something nobody ever wants to happen to them... Jesus... Glad you're alright.

Carl

Brambles
10-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Whoa! What a story. I'm glad you made it out (relatively) OK.

Any idea what brought the bears on? In the "after" picture of the tent, it looks like your cooking gear, pots, etc., are stashed right beside the entrance?

No when we lit the fire we noticed there was an inversion, the wind was actually going up the valley, the bears couldn't smell camp, which we think added to the situation, if she had smelled camp earlier then she probably woud have steered clear. We could see in the snow where she actually was surprised to see the camp because she slipped in the snow. She probably seen my headlight on in the tent and it freaked her out.

The pot you see was for boiling water and thats it, we had dehydrated meals. We are confident it wasn't a food induced attack.

We backtracked down the trail and she and her cub had walked almost the entire length, they were just on the move to higher country and got startled by the tent I think.

Elkaddict
10-15-2009, 11:08 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek: Holy Sh*t !! Happy to hear you both came out of it OK. It could have been so much worse. I bet tenting will never be quite the same......

mijinkal
10-15-2009, 11:11 AM
wow, Glad to see you're around to post this incredible story. It got my blood pumping just reading it!
I know I'll be sleeping with one in the chamber if I'm tenting it again.

Rackmastr
10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Wow....glad to hear you are okay!!!

That is one heck of a wild trip.

Wild Images
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
That gives the bone a tingling feeling just reading it, glad you a Ken are ok

bigwhiteys
10-15-2009, 11:20 AM
The bear didn't like being shoved around and spun and bit me in the left forearm, I could feel its teeth bight down, sink in and I thought to myself, That didn't feel too bad, is that all you got.

That's good shit right there... save this so you can show your kids one day... :) You've documented a lot of your "outdoor" life here on the site, are you sure you didn't plan this? joking aside... Glad you're both ok.

Carl

BigBanger
10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Glad you made it man , wow unreal man , wow .

sparkymacker
10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I have only tented it once in bear country, but I slept with my 45-70 close by with a round in the chamber. In case of emergency all you have to do is pull the hammer back and you are good to go. Amazing story, just glad you guys were not injured more seriously and were able to walk out under your own power. This just convinces me more of need to carry a satellite phone when you are in the middle of no where.

LYKTOHUNT
10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear you made it out more or less in one piece. We had a grizz rummaging around our camp up in the Shulaps,scared the horses ,broke the night lines It makes for poor sleeps in a little tiny tent. THe bear did show up a couple of times around camp in the daylight but caused no trouble so he got no trouble.

jrjonesy
10-15-2009, 11:29 AM
VERY glad things turned out so relatively well for you. It would seem that you bucked the odds in this encounter. It could of so much more easily been a post from someone else about 'missing hunters'.

You've lived everone's nightmare while tenting in Grizzly country.

Kirby
10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
wheres pictures of the sheep?

Glad to hear you guys are alright. Nightmare come true right there.

Kirby

newhunterette
10-15-2009, 11:34 AM
geeze, reading this made me shake and shiver, I am so very glad you both escaped the attack

trigger
10-15-2009, 11:37 AM
wow. You guys are very lucky. Good to see you panned out okay. i bet yous had to change your shorts after that

mainland hunter
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Unreal, Very glad that you guys made it through that ok.

Deaddog
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
quite a story, glad to hear you are both OK and that you had the calm resolve to get thru the attack.

rifleman
10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
holy crap man!!!! you guys are very lucky. I'm glad ya made it out alive. what a terrifying ordeal. wow!!!!

killman
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow glad you guys are ok. While out Moose hunting this year I noticed my buddy was sleeping with a large hunting knife uder his pillow. Might not be a bad Idea. I always just had my gun handy, but things might change.:?

bighornbob
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Although one can never predict things like this there are certain things I do when backpacking alone.

1) I always sleep with a loaded rifle. I chamber a round then I open the bolt just a bit. This way (I shoot a remington) the bullet is held by the bolt as you have already closed the chamber and then opened it. Your round is now 98% loaded, all you have to do push the bolt down and she is ready to go. No worries of it going off accidently as you still have to close the bolt and pull the trigger.

2) I avoid putting my tent next to trails, creeks etc as animals use these too. I try to find a spot off the trail about 25m or so if you can. this way it gives the animal two escapes routes, one the way it came and one in the direction it was going.

3) I also try and put one part of the tent up against a bush or a tree and cut some branches to make a sort of obstruction. I always put my head against that end of the tent. If a bear is going to come in it will most likely come in from the open end. I also point my rifle to the open end.

You try and do your best but s**t still happens, like in this case.
Once again glad you made out of there pretty well intact.

BHB

shantz
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow that is one crazy story. Glad you guys made it out.

338 winmag
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Those backpackable electric fences are a good investment , glad things turned out ok for you guys.

Vanman1985
10-15-2009, 12:01 PM
WOW :shock::shock::shock:, unreal story!!! Glad to hear you guys are ok!

CabinFever
10-15-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm glad to hear that you both survived what must of been a terrifying experience. You both will have one hell of a story to tell for the rest of your lives. Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

J_T
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Brambles. Man, glad you guys came out with little more than a great story to show and tell with your grandchildren.

We had a similar situation while bowhunting early this year. Really took a lot of effort to avoid contact. Close and aggressive.

Glad you are ok.

skibum
10-15-2009, 12:18 PM
No work going be done this afternoon, too excited now.

Thanks for sharing -

This is the reason I like this site, lots of knowledge put in posts and replies

Fisher-Dude
10-15-2009, 12:21 PM
WTF! Glad to see you're both okay Jeff. :shock::shock::shock:

timberhunter
10-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Very cool story.

FlyingHigh
10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
holy snapping arseholes!! glad you to boys are ok! that was a close one and something you will never forget. i'll bet you load up a shotgun next time instead of a bolt rifle eh? wow. bear attacks at night are really the only thing i fear when i'm in the bush.

Everett
10-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Glad to hear you guys are alright. I always thought I was a little paranoid for sleeping with a loaded rifle, but mayby being parnoid isn't so bad.

kootenayslam
10-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear you boys are okay, what an experience that is, wow, sometimes i go a while without seeing many bears and think i'm being too cautious in bear country until i hear something like this from time to time, best of luck the rest of the season....

ZENYO
10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Glad you guys came out of this ok! That's unreal!

300wsm
10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
honestly man...thank god! truly amazing story. a story i hope my wife never hears or hunting will be a lot tougher on the family.

300wsm

BCbillies
10-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Wow! You guys faired well considering . . . hopefully a once in lifetime occurance.

When tenting in bear country we often talk about the "what ifs" when it comes to a bear coming down on the tent. In the dark and in the turmoil it's pretty darn tough to know what's what and get a shot off. The handgun would sure come in handy!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I had to go change my shorts just from reading your story:shock:.

Unbelievable!!!
Most attacks through a tent don't end up so good.

Really glad you're okay, Ken and Jeff!!:smile:

Heavy antibiotics to ward off possible infections???

I bet those boyz down at the firehall won't mess with a guy that took on a grizz.....even 5 at a time!!:smile:

SSS

Brambles
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow! You guys faired well considering . . . hopefully a once in lifetime occurance.

When tenting in bear country we often talk about the "what ifs" when it comes to a bear coming down on the tent. In the dark and in the turmoil it's pretty darn tough to know what's what and get a shot off. The handgun would sure come in handy!!!

Yup I would have given anything for a handgun at that moment. And Yes, I also hope this is gonna be the last time we have to fight off a grizzly "Fist ta cuffs"

Ride
10-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Glad to hear you guys are alright, a harrowing tale for sure. Could have been way different. Hopefully you'll be back at 'er soon. I know Rattler from when we were at UNBC, speedy recovery to the both of you.

Flin Flon
10-15-2009, 12:43 PM
What a story to tell around the camp fire. Sure glad you Guy's made it out OK.

Koot
10-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Holy F Glad you two are alright!
koot

gary murray
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
On Friday i was setting up my tent around noon when i heard a grizzly roaring in the distance. He was moving away as the roars were gradually getting quieter. Found some grizzly crap later that evening but figured he'd moved on as we don't have anything for griz around here except the odd one that passes through from time to time. Around 4.00am Tuesday morning i awoke to my dog barking and then i heard that loud roar which couldn't of been more than 300 yards from my tent. I grabbed my truck keys and let the alarm go off for about a minute. I never heard him again that night but i went to sleep for the next two hours with my 338 Win Magnum laying beside me but i kept forcing myself awake every 15 minutes or so just to be sure. I never want to experience what you guys went through. Even worse is that it's pitch black and you're bound in a tent and can't see what's going on or where the next bite or swat of a paw is going to come from.

Brambles
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
We have been tossing the idea around that the attack might have been predatory. When we hiked back we noticed that once the bears came onto our tracks they stuck to them like glue, they even followed us off the trail to where we went to gather water and then back up onto the trail in our exact footsteps.

When they finally got to the tent the sow changed her course and circled to the Left and then charged unprovoked. At no point were we between the cub and the sow. They weren't in any danger.

Can't explain if it was predatory then why did she stop, other than we might have put up more of a fight then it had expected and she was having trouble getting a good bite through the tent.

Squirrelnuts
10-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Son of a ..... Glad you guys are OK. Wow.

10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Holly Crab you guys !!!!

First off good to hear your OK !

Talk about close call guys, good to hear the thing didn't go crazy on you both.

These are the chances we take for the love of our sport.

I too looked into getting a 44 mag pistol after loosing a friend years back to a G bear, it's crazy the law on us hunters not being able to pack, stupid really.
In a wrestle good luck swinging a long gun, I dread the day should it ever happen, 3 confrontations are enough for me .... yet like you guys I go back time and time again. Bet your friends and family are happy to see you.

Take care fella's, heal fast, the best deer hunting of the season is just around the corner. Better luck next time for the Big Rams !

Thanks for sharing ..........

CT

Philcott
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Sum B!tch... What a story. I too, am glad you boys are ok. Like someone already said, you lived through what concerns many of us when sleeping in the back country.

This year I had my .308 on one side of the sleeping bag and an 870 defender on the other. Glad they weren't needed.

Did you guys have a chance to get any light on or did the whole thing take place in the dark?

muleychaser
10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear you both are okay. Every guy who ventures into the bush wonders what he would do if it was him. You did the right thing to save you friend. Thank god for adrenaline.

stroh72
10-15-2009, 12:56 PM
They say what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger!!!. Definately story of the year!! Glad to have you both still here..

Philcott
10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
When hunting my hunting partner and I often split up to spend some time on our own. When we meet back up he always says, "so what's your story?". I never have anything as exciting as yours to tell him.

I vote for you guys to win best story of the year award.

jrjonesy
10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Can't explain if it was predatory then why did she stop, other than we might have put up more of a fight then it had expected and she was having trouble getting a good bite through the tent.

Who knows what goes though a Grizzlies head but if in the short tussel, she didn't have time to get a good taste of blood, it may have contributed to her bailing on a nasty fighting piece of nylon.

Brambles
10-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Did you guys have a chance to get any light on or did the whole thing take place in the dark?

I was still reading so my headlight was on the whole time. She came at us like it was a signal beacon. We were getting tossed around and shit was happening fast but I am truely glad my light was on.

I was minutes from closing my book and trying to go to sleep too:shock:.

Rattler
10-15-2009, 01:17 PM
In the dark and in the turmoil it's pretty darn tough to know what's what and get a shot off. The handgun would sure come in handy!!!

This sums it up well. I just woke up and had time to unzip my sleeping bag and heard the awful chilling sound of huf, huf, huf, huf....and knew instantly there was a bear real close to the tent :shock:. It was a second later that the bear hit the tent like a train. It was pitch black for me and I got tossed around pretty good and didn't know which way was up. I couldn't find my headlamp for a what seemed like forever after she left. I was panicking and didn't know if it was coming back or not. Brambles let me out and I quickly grabbed my gun. I have NEVER been so terified in all my life.:shock:

I have to give a huge thanks to Brambles for probably saving my life. I felt so helpless fumbling around in the dark wrestling with this bear. There is no doubt I will be sleeping with my gun loaded beside me. In addition I will sleep wearing my headlamp and a knife on my side. I'm going to look into the hangun option because without a doubt this is the best way to defend yourself - fast.

Nimrod
10-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Crazy shit you guys...your so lucky to come out of that with minor "flesh wounds" although that's a nice hole, should leave a good scare and a great story to tell the grand kids years from now.
glad your both okay......story gave me goose bumps.

my first sheep hunt we saw a big griz at the end of the day right before making camp...we slept thru the night with out waking...in the morning there were prints in the frost where he checked us out coming within feet of the tent...spooky.
you couldn't be more vulnerable sleeping on the ground zipped tight in a mummy bag ..even with a loaded gun at your side your chances are slim at best.

Bigbuckadams
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Quite the tale. Glad to hear you both survived it !!!

Dually
10-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Best story I've read on here yet, Glad you both made it out of there in one piece. You always know that can happen but just never imagine in it will, I can't imagine the fear that must go through a person at that moment. I also like how you say "next time I'll have one in the tube", like there wasn't even a thought that you would'nt get back up on that mountain, good on ya boy's. One of the 9 down 8 more to go, get back out there.

Salty
10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Wholly shitsticks.:shock: I'm glad you guys are OK. I set my lil tent up in the basement the other day to air it out in prep for a trip next month. After reading this story that tent reminds me more of a zip lock sandwich bag than shelter all of the sudden :?

Spuddge
10-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Amazing story, glad you guys made it through!! That's a tale you'll be telling for a long time.

bruin
10-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I think about that happening every time I crawl into a pup tent and I will definitely be thinking about you guys next time. Glad you guys made it out ok, that's the stuff nightmares are made of.

takla1
10-15-2009, 01:42 PM
great to hear the outcome was positive for you guy's,others havent been as lucky!Whats with the grizzly population of this province lately?Ive hunted all over,ft.Nelson back country,dease,Smith river,lately last 10 yrs quesnel highlands, 2yrs ago face to face on my quad with a grizz,my son on the back, climbed onto the road 10 meters infront of us.lucky my son didnt have to shoot as we were able to turn as he held his ground.Then last yr north of babine my buddy went for a midday hike up the valley and i thought i'll go up the other side of valley where i can keep an eye on him from a distance,good thing as i stoped to find him in my field glasses and low and behold, theres a good sized sow with a year and half cub closeing the distance on him from ubove and behind!His walky-talky wasnt on so had to shoot above the grizzys heads .then he tuned on the walky talkies!30 yrs of hunting and g-bears the last 2 yrs in a row!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
I was still reading so my headlight was on the whole time. She came at us like it was a signal beacon

Reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park:shock:.

Guarrenteed I will be "piping one" in the future!!!

Funny how we seem to get complacent. If we were to all heed Mr Shelton's advice, we would be sleeping just like Rattler said....fixed blade knife at our side etc.

SSS

bighornbob
10-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Funny how we seem to get complacent. If we were to all heed Mr Shelton's advice, we would be sleeping just like Rattler said....fixed blade knife at our side etc. SSS

Screw the knife, I think the Glock is going to come out of retirement on future trips.

BHB

Foxtail
10-15-2009, 02:11 PM
You guys are my heros! To come out of something like that alive is a feat of it's own. In a moment like that if instincts don't kick in in a flash, I think my only defense would be evacuating my bowels and bladder and start crying. Truely an amazing story.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Your story is full of holes.

10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Son of a bitch. Alls well that ends well I guess. Glad you guys made it out ok.

bearass
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey Jeff Glad to hear you guys are ok!! What a crazy story.

frenchbar
10-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Holy chit! you guys are a couple lucky dudes!

brotherjack
10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Wowzers!!! That made my butt pucker just to hear the story, I can only imagine being there... Glad to hear you survived to tell the tale!!!

Blainer
10-15-2009, 03:27 PM
That's enough to make a fella attend church.
Good on ya for keeping your wit's about ya.
Glad to hear it did'nt turn out worse.

BlacktailStalker
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Thats nuts!!
I've come to expect it, eventually.
I'm sure anyone in grizz country does but with out really expecting it.
You guys are lucky.
To bad you couldn't kill her, most certainly she'll do that again and shes teaching her cubs not to fear human scent. Bad news.

Deadshot
10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
WOW!
Quite the tale.
Agree with what's been said about it being your worst nightmare when bedding down. Who knows what the outcome would have been if you're hunting solo.
Do you think maybe you were close to their den site?
What's the CO's doing about the bears?

Jed
10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Glad you both came out of it ok...... I am sure Gary Shelton would like to here your story to

hillclimber
10-15-2009, 03:41 PM
well i bet your glad your still alive. also you only got what looks like 3 puncture wounds in your arm could have been a lot worse. did you guys run into the bears afterwards again. ( haven't read all 9 pages yet sorry if i asked the same question)

ROY-alty33
10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Glad to see you make it outta there in one piece. Quite a story, that your grandkids grandkids should continue sharing.
How did that Sitka gear hold up? Damn bears that Sh!t aint cheap.

MattB
10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Wow, crazy story man! Glad to hear you guys are alright!

frenchbar
10-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Stories like this one is a good reminder why a good first aid kit is one of the most important things a guy can pack with them in the backcountry.Glad you guys are alright.

The Hermit
10-15-2009, 04:04 PM
DUDE!!! So glad you guys are okay! Story made my hair stand on end! Shivers!!

Brambles
10-15-2009, 04:14 PM
well i bet your glad your still alive. also you only got what looks like 3 puncture wounds in your arm could have been a lot worse. did you guys run into the bears afterwards again. ( haven't read all 9 pages yet sorry if i asked the same question)

No we never seen the bears, before, during or after. I think when it spun to bite me it only got me with its Left K-9's and maybe a couple other teeth. Not a full bite pattern

bridger
10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
well what an adventure glad you guys survived with no serious consquences. on lighter side your trouble cleard up a couple of things for me. 1) grizzly bears don't always eat mice and berries and 2) grizzly bears never attack unless provoked. lol

Rattler
10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
We have been tossing the idea around that the attack might have been predatory. When we hiked back we noticed that once the bears came onto our tracks they stuck to them like glue, they even followed us off the trail to where we went to gather water and then back up onto the trail in our exact footsteps.

When they finally got to the tent the sow changed her course and circled to the Left and then charged unprovoked. At no point were we between the cub and the sow. They weren't in any danger.

Well I have given this a lot of thought and I think this sow was acting in a predatory manner. I believe this because:

1. The sow and cub followed our tracks everywhere we went including below the road where we got our water. The sow followed our tracks right up to our tent. It has been in my experience that when Grizzlies and Blacks encounter human scent they turn and run away. This sow and cub did the opposite, they followed our tracks:eek:

2. When the sow spotted our tent she circled to the left with the cub in tow. The sow attacked without being provoked and the cub followed her to our tent. She had every opportunity to run down or back the way she came, but she choose to attack the tent.

I don't believe the sow was protecting her cub, rather she was training her cub to attack prey. As Brambles has indicated, the sow gave up after a short attack probably because she wasn't having success bringing her quarry down.

Little Hawk
10-15-2009, 04:24 PM
So glad you two were able to walk out and I wish you both a speedy recovery.

Brambles, good on you for fighting back with what you could; you no doubt saved Rattler's life.

I know exactly what you meant about being glad to finally see your truck. My first Griz ordeal involved a couple of cantankerous 3-yr olds and we spent 45-mins or so up a tree. No one got bit yet I still was more freaked than at any other time in my life.

You both are so lucky. Bear spray wouldn't have helped you either.
When you are up for it I would encourage either of you to write the story and send it to Gary Shelton. He studies and writes about exactly this type of conflict which, I'm sad to say, is likely to get worse before it gets better. With upwards of 15,000 Grizzly Bears in BC - and ever increasing pressure to stop hunting them - they will continue to loose their fear of humans and more of us will be injured or killed. As Shelton and others have born-out: non-hunted bear populations will, over time, loose their fear of humans and become bold, day active, and aggressive.

If you are anything like me it will take some time before you get over the psychological end of this and get back to being your old-selves' when in the bush. They have a way of changing things out there. The day following my first Griz encounter I nearly vaporized a squirrel with my old 303' while certain I was being stalked by a bear. Then there were the bear-dreams...

Thanks to bear encounters - and likely reading too many scary bear stories - I now chose to stay in a motorhome in the bush. Even a couple of 2 by 2's and some tin between me and MR. G = a few extra seconds to point the 12-gauge.

Besides the good fortune of being able to walk away from this encounter there is another upside to all this that will become apparent after a short period of time: NOTHING - BUT NOTHING - THAT WALKS ON TWO-LEGS FROM HERE ON IN WILL SCARE YOU IN THE SLIGHTEST!

Well, okay, a samsquamch maybe...

BlacktailStalker
10-15-2009, 04:32 PM
The only thing to consider is the coughing noises you made could have put the sow on attack mode in defense of her cub.
It may have sounded like another huffing bear to her (challenging/threat to the cub)

Too bad you'll never know for sure.

demlake
10-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Glad to hear you both made it out relatively unscathed. Jesus what a night that must have been.

dl

Alpine85
10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Been said many times already. Glad you both made it back to your families safe.
Terry

Gus
10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Jesus Christ! Thats incredible! Glad you boys made it out. Too bad you couldn't have put a hole in the bitch.

Brambles
10-15-2009, 04:55 PM
The only thing to consider is the coughing noises you made could have put the sow on attack mode in defense of her cub.
It may have sounded like another huffing bear to her (challenging/threat to the cub)

Too bad you'll never know for sure.

It wasn't a coughing noise, it was us yelling HEY, HEY HEY,GIT OUT OF HERE, perhaps I spelt it wrong in the original post.

She was charging from the first moment I heard her, we only started yelling at her when we knew that she was gonna follow threw with the charge which was JUST before she bodyslammed the tent.

BlacktailStalker
10-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Thats wild.
Will you guys hunt the same area again? You were obviously there for a reason (with an accompanying grizz tag maybe!) ?

HD95
10-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Jeff;I think every hunter that crawls into his tent in sheep/grizzly country ponders the reality of an attack like this happening.The tent becomes a real liability in terms of defensive manouvers,I'd imagine.An exciting and frightening read all in one.I'm extremely pleased you both were able to walk away,Bob

Brambles
10-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Thats wild.
Will you guys hunt the same area again? You were obviously there for a reason (with an accompanying grizz tag maybe!) ?

Oh I guarantee if they allowed Fall grizz hunting in region 4 I"d apply for a tag just to shoot that bitch.

Not sure about hunting there again, I'll have to think about it, I want to say Yes, I'll hunt it again, but I need time for it all to sink in. Its not worth leaving my son without a father and wife without a husband, I have another baby due in Late December. These, along with basic survival instincts are the things that go through your mind when your fighting for your life.

I need to absorb whats happened first.

Spokerider
10-15-2009, 05:10 PM
So, so lucky those two bears decided to halt the attack.......who knows what the outcome should they have continued.

Sure appears to be a predatory event by your report.

Once again, I'm glad we have very few grizz here on the island......

Brambles
10-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Jeff;I think every hunter that crawls into his tent in sheep/grizzly country ponders the reality of an attack like this happening.The tent becomes a real liability in terms of defensive manouvers,I'd imagine.An exciting and frightening read all in one.I'm extremely pleased you both were able to walk away,Bob

Bob

Althought it sucked royally not being able to "swing freely" being bound in a tent and all, I do think it was the primary reason that we survived with relatively minor wounds. The bear couldn't see where exactly we were or where to place its bites, and being the two of us were hitting her from different sides I think it shocked her into a retreat.

Johnnybear
10-15-2009, 05:17 PM
What can I say. Like others have posted you just lived every hunters night mare. Glad you guys made it out of there to hunt another day.

Did you talk to the local CO yet? Maybe post some signs back by where you parked your truck to let others know there is an aggressive bear in the area:idea:? Would a CO do this to warn folks?

Brambles
10-15-2009, 05:20 PM
What can I say. Like others have posted you just lived every hunters night mare. Glad you guys made it out of there to hunt another day.

Did you talk to the local CO yet? Maybe post some signs back by where you parked your truck to let others know there is an aggressive bear in the area:idea:?

Yes the CO's are on it and will put up signs immediatly, as well as their typical investigation to determine what the end result should be.

bruin
10-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Not sure about hunting there again, I'll have to think about it, I want to say Yes, I'll hunt it again, but I need time for it all to sink in. [/quote]

I wouldn't let the incedent stop you from hunting there. This could happen anywhere at anytime to anyone in grizz country.

bayou
10-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Brambles I have not read every response so apologize if already asked. First good no one was seriously injured. A few thoughts was wondering since you guys said she followed your tracks if you think there may have been any scent left on your boots, cloths or packs from your previous kills.
was wondering if you were on the side where your brother shot his ram or maybe were he missed the one,think you guys may have taken a deer there also, anyways I know on the side were he shot his ram in the past the trapper has put out his bait piles in oct so possible you unknowingly camped in the vicinity of it.
Also wondered since you may feel it could have been a predatory attack have you reported to the COs for they have closed or marked areas in the past if they felt there was a threat.

stixnstones
10-15-2009, 05:30 PM
holy sh8t!!! wow close call.glad to see you both made it back here to write this story.take it easy.

J_T
10-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Not sure about hunting there again, I'll have to think about it, I want to say Yes, I'll hunt it again, but I need time for it all to sink in.

I wouldn't let the incedent stop you from hunting there. This could happen anywhere at anytime to anyone in grizz country.[/quote]I tend to agree but not just in the wilderness. I've encountered Griz at close range a few times. Had a situation very similar to this one.

I tell the people I work with, they could just as easily get mugged in Victoria or Vancouver and it might be more difficult to submit the predator into retreat.

Brambles
10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Brambles I have not read every response so apologize if already asked. First good no one was seriously injured. A few thoughts was wondering since you guys said she followed your tracks if you think there may have been any scent left on your boots, cloths or packs from your previous kills.
was wondering if you were on the side where your brother shot his ram or maybe were he missed the one,think you guys may have taken a deer there also, anyways I know on the side were he shot his ram in the past the trapper has put out his bait piles in oct so possible you unknowingly camped in the vicinity of it.
Also wondered since you may feel it could have been a predatory attack have you reported to the COs for they have closed or marked areas in the past if they felt there was a threat.

No it wasn't where he shot his Ram, As far as any scent on our boots or clothes/gear, I guess anything is possible. but I've been wearing them around since the kills earlier this year, can't say I've shampoo'd my boots, but I don't think many people do.

Pants and shirts wouldn't have had any scent on them, I had gaiters on and they would have been clean too.

Yes it has been reported and they are gonna post a sign informing people of the dangerours bear in the area.

Rattler
10-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Both Jeff and I had cleaned all of our clothing since our earlier elk success. Not sure about bait piles, but we did not see any fresh human sign in the area, nor did we smell anything unusual.
CO has been notified of all the details and is marking the area first thing tomorrow am.

dana
10-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Brambles,
Wow dude, glad you guys made it through that adventure. I betcha you hugged your wife and son long and hard when you got home from your ordeal. Gives a guy a whole new perspective on Thanksgiving don't it?

Jelvis
10-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Take time to think about grizzly country and it's risks and whether it's worth it to do again because the hunter can be the hunted.
Did the grizz smell awful ?
Jel -- might have camped near a well used trail - anyways wholley molley man
--------------Glad you made it through any infections ?

budismyhorse
10-15-2009, 05:50 PM
unreal......a nightmare come true for sure. ...

First thing that comes to mind is why? Predatory is my guess. This was a hunt IMHO.

trying to prepare her cubs for the winter......

I also think that if you had a hand gun, your partner would be dead.......you say you were on the opposite side of him?....too easy to swing and pull multiple shots. Reminds me of that scene in the movie SNATCH.......

All you had to do is get one round off with that rifle and she would have frigged off.....probably?!

cheers fellas, glad you made it out OK!

laredo318
10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Glad you are OK!!!!
Hope you heal without complications, as well as recover from a damn close call!!!

JDR
10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Unbelievable! Glad to see you made it out safe and are okay.

leadpillproductions
10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Glad to here you guy's weren't hurd really bad or worse . Makes a guy real think .

bcbooner
10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Man what an ordeal.It just reinforces how carefull one must be while in Griz country.Glad you Guys are OK.I have spent alot of time in Griz country and have had some nasty incounters,but nothing to compare to that.

bayou
10-15-2009, 06:24 PM
No it wasn't where he shot his Ram, As far as any scent on our boots or clothes/gear, I guess anything is possible. but I've been wearing them around since the kills earlier this year, can't say I've shampoo'd my boots, but I don't think many people do.

Pants and shirts wouldn't have had any scent on them, I had gaiters on and they would have been clean too.

Yes it has been reported and they are gonna post a sign informing people of the dangerours bear in the area.
I just talked to another person to see if they had heard of any bear incidents earlier this year. I guess there was one around the first camp ground that had gone into unoccupied tents and then trashed them trying to get out, no one seen them to identify as grizzly or black though would have been interesting to know if the same bears. You would think if a predatory attack there would have been more damage but like you say your fighting back may be what saved you.
The bears really seem to be moving around right now we say a few different sets of tracks this past weekend and another buddy seen 5 sets today but he covered alot of ground.

BCBear
10-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Holy Freeking Moly...what a tale for the ages and glad no one is 6 ft under!

Tank
10-15-2009, 06:29 PM
wow oh wow!!! Suddenly no magnum is too heavy to pack up the mountain.....

boxhitch
10-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Now that is a story !! I kept reading, waiting for you to wake up or make fun of your tent partner for snoring........but then Holy Shit !!

I'm surprised you heard them coming at all, some times no sounds until its too late.

Maybe the yelling did set her off, who knows. Did you really find the door to get out, or just rip a new one ?

Theres something to be said for a sheep-weight 338 mag now I bet ?

Glad you guys are OK, but get back on and ride again.

killman
10-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Has the media got your story yet? You should post up some pics of your arm and tent on the "Save the bears" site and tell them how you where mauled in you sleep.

M.Dean
10-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Glad you guys made it out alive!!! You both fought off a Grizzly Bear and bloody well won!!! Not a lot of people can say that!!! I hope this story gets a bit of news attention! M.Dean

BCrams
10-15-2009, 06:38 PM
HOLY SHIT.

I just got home from working in the field today to see this post and I just went white...........

As quite a few know, Rattler (Ken) is a good friend of mine and we had a very successful Stone's sheep trip a couple years ago together.

Bottom line, I'm glad you both are safe and nothing worse came of it.

Jeezus.

olharley guy
10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Howdy, yes you two are very lucky guys. I hope you bought a ticket on tommorrows 25 million lottery.
There will probably be quite a few more episodes like this that no one ever hear about.
I think most likely predatory to try and gain another 20lbs. before they go in the den.
No rhyme or reason for any of these types of attacks-they just do it because food is always on their minds.
You guys are young and tough-you'll be back there with a vengance!
As everyone has said extremely lucky and good on you to fight back. Later

landphil
10-15-2009, 06:57 PM
So the tent for sale by Brambles in the EE is not a good deal then?:eek: I'm glad to hear you're both OK and only (relatively) minor injuries. I'm sure it will take some time to recover - more so mentally I would think.

waistdeep
10-15-2009, 07:05 PM
So glad you guys are alright, I bought and used a electric fence for our wall tent adventures, trust that that will buy us some time if a griss comes to close..never know.

MikeH
10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
wow you guys are lucky!always keep a round in the spout,speedy recovery.

brenden
10-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Holy shit. I hit the hills in the same tent. I keep one in the pipe but if they want you bad enough.... good luck. Amazing story. I've often wondered what it would feel like to be in a nylon buritto. Now I have an idea. Glad you made it out alive. Legendary. One for the Shelton archives for sure.

Brenden

The Dawg
10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow....wow...wow...is all that keeps coming out of my mouth

So glad you guys are ok....wow.....

waistdeep
10-15-2009, 07:21 PM
By the way, would you have faired any better if you would have had a large bore revolver by your side instead of your long gun?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I think Sawmill's sigline sums this one up pretty good..........

"Scars Are Tattoos With Better Stories".....

And that's one helluva story to go with your new scars:shock::shock::shock:

SSS

quadrakid
10-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Life is precious,glad you guys still have one.

1/2 slam
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
WTF :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Glad you guys made it out.

fester
10-15-2009, 08:04 PM
wow!! Glad you guys made it out ok!!

Jagermeister
10-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Incredible story, incredible outcome. Quick, buy a lottery ticket.

I see a lot of comments about the readiness of a firearm, but I think it is equally important to have a knife readily available too. The knife can be used in lieu of the firearm for sticking the assailant, but more importantly, it will allow you to exit a crumpled tent sans the door opening. Tangled up in a crumpled tent limits one's ability to defend themselves.

Glad that you and Rattler are still with us.

It seems that the grizlies get into a frenzy with the advent of cold temps and snow. They want to stoke up before they hunker down for a snooze, so they are opportunists at this time of year. So you all take a little extra caution out there.

tomla1
10-15-2009, 08:19 PM
WOW! Glad to see you guys survived.
Next year grizz hunt?

ElkMasterC
10-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Holy Crap! Deep puncture wounds there Brambles. As bad as it was you're lucky to be around.
Too bad you couldn't have killed it if it attacks tents.
reminds me of an experience I had with Humble Hunter last year in 4-22. WEe were both shaking in our tents while a bear huffed his way around our camp. We were pretty scared, as we were bowhunting, and didn't have a gun between us! (Won't do that again)
Anyway, we yelled back and forth between tents and it wandered off.
Glad you guys are OK!
Sorry about your gear, but that can be replaced.
Thx for a great story
EMC

Big7
10-15-2009, 08:34 PM
You won't be forgetting that anytime soon!! What a campfire story you two will have to tell for the rest of your lives....glad you can tell the story in person!!

cwocarsten
10-15-2009, 08:44 PM
You are lucky. All these years hunting in heavy grizz country and I have not had te unpleasure. Glad you two are safe.

Big7
10-15-2009, 08:44 PM
You guys should call CBC Radio and both of you should tell your story on the air! It's quite the story!

farside
10-15-2009, 08:46 PM
That story is down right scary!! It can and does happen to anybody. Very happy you escaped with minimal damage to yourselves.

JoAnn wanted to bring her portable electric fence along for our little week long mulie hunt. I told her "na - we don't need it"! She slept with her 300 win mag ready and waiting. Thing is, an electric fence will not stop a bear that is on a mission. Not at all!! It does dicourage the curious though

Spy
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Unbelievable story! learnt allot from this thread,thanks for sharing your story. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Kitimat Killer
10-15-2009, 09:00 PM
my hats of to both of you guys to make it home safe and live to tell the storey makes us all think a little diff when were out there it can happen to any body i bet it felt good to hug your wife and boy i know i would break down in tears when i seen them after all that

Ricardo

Ambush
10-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Glad you guys are alright and had the presence of mind to get through the whole ordeal. More scars with a great story!

I can't help but wonder what might have happened if you had got a shot off. Maybe a wounded, fighting mad sow and a cub helping out. It could have gotten worse with firing a rifle during a scramble like that!!

But it happened the way it did with the outcome you got. Everything else is just musings, of which you will be doing lots of for a long time.

Again, congrats on keeping it together and coming out alive. You have what it takes to be in the wilderness.

calvin L
10-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I have taken the time to read all the posts. There is some great info and some ? raised on what we should do . I have read all 3 of Gary Shelton books . They are full of good info . This is not to say I would remember what to do But I can tell you I will be rereading them all .

It has been said may times but here It goes . Jeff and Ken We are glad to still have you around . And Yes there is a crown royal in it for you to the next time we see each other

Calvin L

Krico
10-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Crazy scary story. Lucky you lived.

At least you'll get some cool scars out of it...

MB_Boy
10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Haven't read all the posts yet.......but HOLY CRAPOLA!! :eek::shock:

Glad to hear you guys are alright and still posting.....let alone posting THIS story!!!

In the morning I look forward to reading right through this thread.

Elkhound
10-15-2009, 10:24 PM
As others have said...sure glad you boys made it home to your families in very good health considering.
Wow.....and wow.....what a hunt.

Kid Hunter
10-15-2009, 10:53 PM
wow thats CRAZY!!! I hope I never have to deal with anything like that... That would just be too scary. I'm glad to hear you guys are still alive and mostly well! Hopefully you can recover from it soon (both mentally and physically) and get back out there!

338 Mag
10-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Man thats an awesome story,glad your ok being in that tent like that would be like being blind folded.Must have been one pissed of grizz.F.Y.I.I sleep in my wall tent with always one in the tube...Ya Never Know

blackford
10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
wow... you guys have to count your blessings...

I hate Grizz and to be honest with you they freak the crapola out of me...

I also sleep in a wall tent... with one in the chamber and a clip full with my some more to go in my jacket... you never know what your going to get while your hunting...

ydouask
10-15-2009, 11:39 PM
So thankful you're both home . Give your wives and children many big hugs and kisses. Mom and Dad.

todbartell
10-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Just logged onto HBC after being busy all day. I dont even know what to say. Glad you two are alright, that is some scary shit right there

quackquackbang
10-16-2009, 12:29 AM
WOW!!:shock: Crazy shit glad you guys are ok!!

Roots
10-16-2009, 12:33 AM
The bear didn't like being shoved around and spun and bit me in the left forearm, I could feel its teeth bight down, sink in and I thought to myself, That didn't feel too bad, is that all you got

That, right there Sir, is priceless. I've experienced huffing and puffing outside my tent a couple of times, but it never progressed beyond that....The story made my stomach squirm. My God, you guys are lucky sons of...

Please keep us posted on how your injuries heal up...

The Hermit
10-16-2009, 12:45 AM
What do you guys think about surrounding the camp with string of bells on the electric fence? I am a heavy sleeper and it would take quite a commotion to wake me... that might buy me a moment to pucker my butt and hopefully be ready to react.

I once stuck my head and shoulders out of a tent in the early morning to find a black bear about four feet from me... we scared the hell outta one another and he buggered off!

lineofsight
10-16-2009, 01:10 AM
With the knowledge that you both survived, what a unique experience, may find you have a different outlook on one or two things now.

Hope you both heal well and without complications. Take some more pics too please - am curious about the bruising, would think it pretty massive.

Done a fair bit of tenting up north, thanks for making me realize some of the chances I was taking then (even with 12 GA and no food in the tent ever) and how lucky I am now with much more to loose (no wife & kid back then). Personally will never forget the first time I saw three grizzlies fishing in Alaska - that was memorable enough, never mind one playing twister with you in the tent.

Again, WOW, great work staying alive guys.

sawmill
10-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Jesus Man!:shock:Glad you didn`t get killed.I wonder if they make Kevlar tents?A guy should have some military surplus claymore mines on trip lines,that would let you sleep safly!

BiG Boar
10-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Wow what a story! Glad you guys are both okay. My question for you and I am sure a lot of other tenters would like to know, what would you do differently next time, tenting in grizz country, and what would you do next time if you heard the same sounds outside your tent? Fire a warning shot or something? Try to get out of the tent? What?

Little Hawk
10-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Can you tell us where this event took place?

Peace to both of you!

calvin L
10-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Little Hawk . I don't think they will tell us the location

As it would give up a sheep spot .Not even a grizz can get a sheep hunter to give up that info :tongue::tongue::tongue:

calvin L

asurebet
10-16-2009, 07:38 AM
wow what a story! glad to hear you are both relatively okay! this will be a hunt you will definetly never forget, hope you both heal up quick.

yama49
10-16-2009, 07:43 AM
glad to hear u guys are alright.... thx for sharing there are some good points being raised, about camping in bear country... get well soon

Brambles
10-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Incredible story, incredible outcome. Quick, buy a lottery ticket.

I see a lot of comments about the readiness of a firearm, but I think it is equally important to have a knife readily available too. The knife can be used in lieu of the firearm for sticking the assailant, but more importantly, it will allow you to exit a crumpled tent sans the door opening. Tangled up in a crumpled tent limits one's ability to defend themselves.

Glad that you and Rattler are still with us.

It seems that the grizlies get into a frenzy with the advent of cold temps and snow. They want to stoke up before they hunker down for a snooze, so they are opportunists at this time of year. So you all take a little extra caution out there.

Thats the next thing on my shopping list, a nice bear knife I can keep with me. Funny thing is earlier this year I was gonna buy one, I just ran out of funds...I had plans of building myself a nice custom bowie or something similar out of good steel and pack that, but my shop isn't finished so my knife building is on hold.

MB_Boy
10-16-2009, 08:39 AM
To both of you guys.....as I said earlier and everyone else has; VERY glad to hear you are okay and you are VERY LUCKY guys that you are back at home with your families. I let my GF read your story this morning and she too was blown away.

On a lighter note......I think you guys should look towards some 'off-season' sheep training like this :tongue:.......just in case.:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA

And this may come in camo for your next sheep hunting foray into Grizz territory. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdlThgxN6U

Brambles
10-16-2009, 08:45 AM
OK I just got off the phone with Rattlers wife, Global BC was going to do a story about it last night at 11pm, but they pulled the story..

Because

Global National wants to run it country wide, I don't know when the story is gonna hit the news but the story has to be in before 2:30 for Global National. We meet with the News guy at Noon.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
OK I just got off the phone with Rattlers wife, Global BC was going to do a story about it last night at 11pm, but they pulled the story..

Because

Global National wants to run it country wide, I don't know when the story is gonna hit the news but the story has to be in before 2:30 for Global National. We meet with the News guy at Noon.

I was just going to ask you if the media has contacted you yet.

If you weren't intraweb celebrities already, you sure the hell are now!!

Personally, I would have told Global to stuff it!! Too much anti bear hunting crap:mad:.....but what can you do??

Tell them that if they somehow put an anti-hunting twist on this story, you'll trap that bear and release her in their office!!:smile:

SSS

mijinkal
10-16-2009, 08:51 AM
WOW, that's awesome!! Looking forward to seeing you on TV!

J_T
10-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Brambles, in an interview, would you consider mentioning the recent push in the Kootenays to have the Grizzly hunt stopped all together? Without a predator or a management tool grizzlies might be knocking on lots of tents.

mark
10-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Holy crap guys, knowing both of you this was a bone chilling read!

All my life theres been 1 in the pipe, a large dagger and 2 flashlights handy!
Like BHB said also, off the trail, and shelter backing onto some sort of obstacle!
That being said, I spent 3 nights in the alpine, in grizz country, alone, this year and all that went through my head, is the possibility of this happening, just for a big deer????? Makes a man think!

I have to admit, while Im glad you 2 are ok, I was sure pissed that you didnt manage to plug that bitch.
It was like one of those movies with a really crappy ending and you say WTF???

Make the most of this global interview! You and Ken should rehearse a few of the points to bring up!
Make sure you stress that there are way to many grizz in BC, way more that most people think!
Stress that the lack of hunting of them is causing them to lose fear of man and that similar attacks will get worse!
You guys got to scare the public into thinking that hunters are the answer!
Bring all your ripped up gear and cloths for the camera, that will really hit home with the eco hikers!

Im sure you guys will do well for us!

Take care boys!

brotherjack
10-16-2009, 09:39 AM
You need to write that story up and submit it to a magazine or sumpthin -- that's wild.

The Hermit
10-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Holy crap guys, knowing both of you this was a bone chilling read!

All my life theres been 1 in the pipe, a large dagger and 2 flashlights handy!
Like BHB said also, off the trail, and shelter backing onto some sort of obstacle!
That being said, I spent 3 nights in the alpine, in grizz country, alone, this year and all that went through my head, is the possibility of this happening, just for a big deer????? Makes a man think!

I have to admit, while Im glad you 2 are ok, I was sure pissed that you didnt manage to plug that bitch.
It was like one of those movies with a really crappy ending and you say WTF???

Make the most of this global interview! You and Ken should rehearse a few of the points to bring up!
Make sure you stress that there are way to many grizz in BC, way more that most people think!
Stress that the lack of hunting of them is causing them to lose fear of man and that similar attacks will get worse!
Bring all your ripped up gear and cloths for the camera, that will really hit home with the eco hikers!

Im sure you guys will do well for us!

Take care boys!

Exactly! But I gotta wonder about some of the earlier comments filled with animosity toward the sow, she was just doing her natural bear thing... which is why we need to hunt them and continue to instill fear in an otherwise fearless awesome force of nature!

MB_Boy
10-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Brambles.....keep us posted as to when it's going to be on. Assuming at 5:30 if it's on "Global National".

Fireball129
10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
wow incredible story, glad you guys made it out safe.Hope everything heals up fine.

huntergal
10-16-2009, 10:25 AM
What an experience, glad you live to tell about it. A couple of thoughts. Predatory attacks by grizzlies are extremely uncommon, are you absolutely positive this was a grizz? It's hard to tell from the picture but the tracks sure look like black bear tracks to me. No obvious claw marks and very rounded track. This would make sense for a black bear to follow your tracks with the intent to prey upon you.

On the other hand, if it was a grizz, she could have simply been following the trail and somewhat curious....got near the tent and smelled interesting stuff and started investigating....then either saw the light and/or heard the yelling and attacked - out of defense. Particularly because she had a cub with her, it's instinctive to protect that cub at all costs and she perceived a threat. If it was a predatory attack, they usually keep on going....they don't give up that easily. It sounds more like the typical defensive reactionary attack of a grizz sow. Noise is often the trigger as I found out myself......it startles them at close range. We were elk hunting last year and charged by a grizz...we saw it walking towards us, head down, wind in our favour, it had no idea we were there. When it was about 70 yards we thought we better let it know we were there, and yelled at it. Instant charge, straight at us. But short and sweet...it slowed down...stopped at about 40 yards...(lucky it did...just about to pull the trigger)....stood up, smelled, and ran off into the bush. The sudden noise triggered the charge.

huntinnewbie
10-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Wow! what a story of sheer grit and survival instincts kicking into high gear!
Gives me the willies just thinking about it. From the deepest darkest recesses of our mind comes the primal fear of being a predators next meal.
As for Huntergirls observations........
I see claws in the pics of the very large foot prints.
Black bears certainly do attack people, I have a nephew that was attacked by a sow with cubs. However can't recall a predatory attack by a black bear but we do know grizzlies are capable of stalking, killing and eating people as are polar bears, which belong to the grizzly family. In light of the given information and considering, thank goodness, I wasn't there, I would say it was a grizz.
Long story short...........don't be making excuses for one bitch of bear.

goatdancer
10-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Incredible story with a happy ending. Glad you guys are OK. Bears being bears, they are totally unpredictable. Saw a show on the tube a couple of weeks back about griz in Alaska. They showed the exact same thing happening to a tent. The Gbears just decided to jump all over it and beat the crap out it. Then they pulled out the rubber dummy inside and proceeded to tear it apart. Just because they could.

BCbillies
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM

x2. This has the potential to put a positive slant on why we need to keep the grizz hunt. It's always interesting and mostly frustrating to see what gets aired and what doesn't! Bear viewing and ecotourism isn't instilling a healthy dose of fear in the bears . . . this story will not be the last!

Best wishes and make us proud! :wink:

bigwhiteys
10-16-2009, 12:42 PM
x2. This has the potential to put a positive slant on why we need to keep the grizz hunt. It's always interesting and mostly frustrating to see what gets aired and what doesn't! Bear viewing and ecotourism isn't instilling a healthy dose of fear in the bears . . . this story will not be the last!

X3! I think it's a great opportunity to shed some light on the need for a controlled hunt.

Carl

Old Boar
10-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I always tent with one up the spout and the safety on. Same thing when field dressing game - loaded with safety on.

We took a Black Bear a few years ago and on taking the hide in after visiting the game cutter, were told quite a story by the taxidermist.

Seems his son and a friend hiked into the identical area high on the east side of Harrison Lake and north of Slolicum Creek, where we took our bear, and they split up to hunt north and south. Friend to north, son to south.

They had only been parted for a few minutes when the friend's rifle goes off. Seems he walked around a bend on an old (1950's) logging road and was charged by a Grizzly that had killed a Black Bear and was lying on top of it and the debris pile right in the middle of the road. One hind leg was sticking up in the air.

Fortunately, the Grizzly dropped, no tags, no season, of course, so off went the taxidermist's son and friend to report the "kill" to F&W.

Story sent a chill down my spine since we hunted our Black Bear for an hour by sound alone (after a fleeting climpse) as the cloud was so thick visibility was reduced to less than 30 feet and moisture was dripping off the trees. There was even less visibility while field dressing, skinning and butchering the bear. Might not have had time to grab the rifle if a Grizzly moved in.

Brambles
10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
The story will air in Eastern Canada at 2:30 our time, it might be on the Early news at 5:00 and then again at 5:30.

Then he said because it was a Friday it would probably be run all weekend long.

I didn't want to sound like a pushy lobbiest but we did get the Grizz hunting point across, now lets see if they air it.

hunter1947
10-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm just glad that the two of you are still alive ,that is one bad encounter the two of you had with that Griz ,these dam bears are getting to be a pain in the but in the last few years.

Its good to hear you two come out of this ordeal with just a few bits ,cuts and scratches ,the out come could have been worse.

I also had a bad encounter with a big boar Griz after all hunting partners had left.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I also had a bad encounter with a big boar Griz after all hunting partners had left.

Please share.

Glad you're home safe.

SSS

ultramafic
10-16-2009, 02:18 PM
The story will air in Eastern Canada at 2:30 our time, it might be on the Early news at 5:00 and then again at 5:30.

Then he said because it was a Friday it would probably be run all weekend long.

I didn't want to sound like a pushy lobbiest but we did get the Grizz hunting point across, now lets see if they air it.

JUST GOT MY PVR SET TO RECORD THAT FOR SURE...

Glad you guys are O.K.

mike

Brambles
10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Looks like Louis L’Amour saved the day!:)
Reminds me of the couple that was killed in their tent by a grizzly 4 years ago. They took all the precautions regarding food storage and cooking and had a 45/70 and couple canisters of bear spray. The grizzly probably attacked them while they were soundly asleep.
Seems like they had no time to react.
Link
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0510/whats_new/anwr_grizzly_attacks.html (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0510/whats_new/anwr_grizzly_attacks.html)

Finally had a chance to read the story, totally amazing, and my heart goes out to those poor people.

Brambles
10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Did you really find the door to get out, or just rip a new one ?

Took a look at the tent today, and from what I can put together, I made a new one:shock: Funny how a guy can't remember some things but remembers other things perfectly. Like the sound of the charging footsteps and the constant and increasing huffing........a chilling sound I'll never forget and hopefully will only ever hear again in my nightmares:|.

Jetboater
10-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Freaky tale Jeff... we just had to kill a bear in camp on the 13th .,...just a black but nonetheless a pain in the ass... snapping and bluff charging till we had to deal with it....

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
It has been in my experience that when Grizzlies and Blacks encounter human scent they turn and run away. This sow and cub did the opposite, they followed our tracks

I was just re-reading yours and Jeff's posts on this thread..............
The yr I shot my Stone ram, I watched a grizz come down a scree slope that I had just come down. When the bear hit my tracks he stopped, sniffed and then started to follow them:shock:. Eventually I lost sight of him.

Later that day, that same bear charged my partner in camp and he ended up shooting the boar right after my partner crawled out of the tent.
some bears just don't realize people are trouble.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Took a look at the tent today, and from what I can put together, I made a new one:shock: Funny how a guy can't remember some things but remembers other things perfectly. Like the sound of the charging footsteps and the constant and increasing huffing........a chilling sound I'll never forget and hopefully will only ever hear again in my nightmares:|.

I'm sure your job training keeps you well informed of possible things like Post Tramatic Stress Disorder......but make sure you tell your wife to keep it in mind for a couple of months down the road.
Same for you,Ken.

SSS

Brambles
10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I can't help but wonder what might have happened if you had got a shot off. Maybe a wounded, fighting mad sow and a cub helping out. It could have gotten worse with firing a rifle during a scramble like that!!

Knowing the outcome I am sort of happy I didn't get the shot off, I had already been bit, and so had rattler so that wouldn't have changed.

I do wish I could have shot her before she hit the tent, cause I was trying... I would have fired that rifle right through the side of my tent. People might poo poo me for saying that, because I couldn't identify what I was shooting, but at that point I didn't give a rats ass. I knew it was a bear, and I KNEW it was comming through the tent.

Would she have intensified her attack????? I have no idea.
Would she have run off??? I have no idea.
If the cub wasn't already helping her ( cause we arn't 100% sure it was or not) would the cub have assisted?... Don't have an answer for that either..

But what I can tell you, when you got a pissed off bear beating the shit out of you and your tangled up in a tent, can't see anything, can't hardly move..........You'll try anything..I would have stabbed her with popsicle sticks if I had some.

Was I concerned about shooting my partner YOUR DAMN RIGHT I WAS...

It was the foremost thing on my mind while I was fighting to get the grizz off him. Thats why I was trying to push the bear UP and AWAY so I could tuck the rifle under the bear and shoot at an upward angle. I didn't care if I made a fatal hit or not, I just wanted to make a big damn sound and show her a little pain. A fatal shot would have been icing on the cake.

Brambles
10-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm sure your job training keeps you well informed of possible things like Post Tramatic Stress Disorder......but make sure you tell your wife to keep it in mind for a couple of months down the road.
Same for you,Ken.

SSS

Thats been taken care of already, thanks to BCTS

Thanks for mentioning it, I will clue in the wife, cause she wasn't there.

35 Whelen
10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Holy crap Jeff/Rattler.

I am down in Vancouver reading this story. I am glad you are both relatively unscathed. What a story. I would have to agree that she was in predatory mode; when you look at all the facts in your recounting of the story.

Looking at the attack and the fact you both fought back is likely why she discontinued the attack. I am actually thankful that your gun failed to fire..I think that had that happened she may have continued with the attack as a wounded bear, and the inherant danger of a gun going off in such close quarters could have dire consequences in a tent in the dark. I think the same way about a handgun in the tent....I know that fighting back is something we all want to do and a firearm is comforting to have, but a handgun in close quarters and not knowing what part of the bear you are shooting is a gamble....and few handguns are capable of dropping a grizzly cleanly.

I am glad things worked out the way they did....I was going to say you are both lucky...but then if you were really lucky, that wouldn't have happened at all.

Sure glad you are both OK.....give my best to Rattler too.....phew !!!

Paul

PGK
10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't know about predatory mode. She got a bite, and then she left. If she had been predtory, she would have taken more than one bite. Also, a predatory bear will not make any sound when coming in for the closer, they will be silent, like when stalking prey. The fact that she was huffing like you say makes me think she was pissed off, not hungry. I'd say you probly had that tent lit up pretty good with a headlamp reading, and it either scared or pissed her off. No fault of yours for certain, but I would be hard pressed to find blame with the bear either. Just a shitty happening. At the end of the day, you're both ok, and that's all that counts.

ultramafic
10-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I just watched your segment on Global National... looks like they may have run out of time to do a proper story on due to the morons with the ballon thingy yesterday. Not really sure what that was all about but either way but looks like your story was cut to about a 10 second segment.

either way glad you guys are OK

mike

mijinkal
10-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I found a link to this thread on the Global National News while looking for the Video story.
http://www.globalnational.com/Global+National+Links+in+the+News/2072697/story.html

I suspect we will have a lot more visitors to the site in the next day or two.

Here's a link to the video: http://www.globalnational.com/video/index.html
wow, that was a short story.

sniper ren
10-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Holy crap! Glad to hear everyone is OK!
I had a close run-in with a Grizz this fall in the EK while Elk hunting. He came walking around a blind corner and he was right in front of me at 15 yards. Thankfully he wanted no part he turned and ran off. Sure does get your attention though!!

Once again crazy story and glad everyone is OK!

Brambles
10-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Just looked at the global national news site, watched a clip of the interview...........UUUMMMM

That interview took about an hour, they chopped, sliced and diced it into 26 seconds. Took out the plug for a Fall LEH on Grizz hunting..

I hope this is just a short version or a preview, maybe a longer story will be on TV

Here's hoping

killman
10-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Just looked at the global national news site, watched a clip of the interview...........UUUMMMM

That interview took about an hour, they chopped, sliced and diced it into 26 seconds. Took out the plug for a Fall LEH on Grizz hunting..

I hope this is just a short version or a preview, maybe a longer story will be on TV

Here's hoping

It is a shame isn't it. That is the problem with the media. They only play what they want you to hear.:mad:

mijinkal
10-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Here's hoping

Unfortunately, I think that was all the coverage you're going to get on the national news.
I just heard a quick preview about the story on CFOX about it being on the local news tonight. They'll probably give the story a lot more than the 30 seconds that were on Global National.

ultramafic
10-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Here's hoping

The segment i watched was on GLOBAL NATIONAL on TV and it was very short... perahps the local BC broadcast of their evening news will have more to it, but just so you know media is famous for running only the parts of stories that "they" feel are appropriate and "sound" best to their "target audience.'

Just who or what their "audience" is, seems rather unclear at most times...

Good on you for trying though.

mike

Maxx
10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
WOW.... what a story, i am glad that all involved made out ok....

Devilbear
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I am glad that both of you guys were not more seriously hurt or even killed by these Grizzlies and made it home to your families. Even when you do everything "right" in Grizzly country, you can still get attacked by one and your experience proves that.

I sleep with a .338WM, 9.3-62 or 74R or .375H&H loaded and slightly open beside me; I will only use right zipped sleeping bags due to this and well MEC staffers have told me that I should have a left zipped bag as I am righthanded....they are about as trustworthy as Global TV , which I refuse to waste time watching anymore.

Take care of your wounds and I hope the rest of your season goes well...better than this, anyway!

islandboy
10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Glad to hear you are both OK. Heard your story on CBC radio a few minutes ago. :shock:

lip_ripper00
10-16-2009, 05:06 PM
story will be on global tonight at 6:00pm

Brambles
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
The early news at 5:00 had a different clip and said for an exclusive interview about the incident then tune in for Global at 6:00

7mag700
10-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Got it set to record. I can hardly wait, what a great story. I bet it begins:

"This one time, at sheep camp..." :tongue:

Sure glad you guys are OK.

7m7

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Got it set to record. I can hardly wait, what a great story. I bet it begins:

"This one time, at sheep camp..." :tongue:

7m7

Bramble's could almost stick a flute in the hole on his forearm:shock:.

SSS

Brambles
10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Bramble's could almost stick a flute in the hole on his forearm:shock:.

SSS

This one time, at sheep camp........I stuck a flute in my gash:razz:

Fisher-Dude
10-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey Hollywood, can I have your autograph?

ElectricDyck
10-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Crazy story, you guys are hard as f**k, glad everyone's ok. Predatory or territorial there's nothing you can do to be ready for that! I'll never sleep well in a tent again.

Curious to see the global story, it would be a shame if they slanted it to suit their agenda.

THE SWEDE
10-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Jeff Scary shit.You were way cooler with the Hetfeild mustache:smile:

Salty
10-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Good interview guys. You represented the hunting community well.

Rattler
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Well I'm impressed they made it the top story, but disappointed they never ran the piece about our conversation regarding grizzly populations and extending grizzly hunting seasons.

Deadshot
10-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Lead story & deservedly so.
Sad to say, but alot of the anti's will love it that you couldn't get that shot off.

Canal Flats, eh!:wink:

eaglesj
10-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Looks like a scary ordeal, but I noticed that your pots were right next to the smashed up tent. Where was all your food during this, in the tent?

ratherbefishin
10-16-2009, 06:16 PM
I've been sleeping in a tent,but decided to get a camper this year-for exactly that reason-grizzlies.I'll still take the tent-a 10x20 portable tarp garage,with an oval stove to sit around, cook,dry clothes and read in-but will sleep in the camper

ElectricDyck
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Anybody got a link to the story online for those of us without cable?

ARC
10-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Glad you guys are alright, quite the story!

I must have just missed the news clip.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Well I'm impressed they made it the top story, but disappointed they never ran the piece about our conversation regarding grizzly populations and extending grizzly hunting seasons.

Too bad they edited that part out....but.......At least it was a straight story. Just the facts and No negative twists. No one's fault. Just happenned.
Still scary:shock:.

Ken..did the x-rays turn out negative??

SSS

killman
10-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Great job on the news guy's, I really liked the "Thumpity thump, woof woof" part.:razz: I guess they are not concern with our idea's for bear conservation.

husky30-06
10-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Anybody got a link to the story online for those of us without cable?

Google.... global news bc......

husky30-06
10-16-2009, 06:31 PM
OH YA!!!!!!! good interview...... glad you guys are ok.... I like the parallel to being put into a pillow case and beat..... heading back out again????? or done for the year/life?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Google.... global news bc......

Here it is.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=KUehB4xb02_U8LPNLMLl3euerlrK o850

SSS

BigBanger
10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Thats good shit, I saw you guys on global. Huff huff stomp stomp .

boxhitch
10-16-2009, 07:22 PM
ing. Is it common for grizzlies to get this far southwest?Is ther a 100 mile square area in BC that Doesn't have Grizzlies ??

Brambles
10-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Okay, here's a question - forgive me if you've already mentioned it in one of the other 24 pages. :smile:
Where generally were you? I think you were somewhere in the E. Koots. We were just in the W. Koots around Grand Forks and hope to be back next weekend. I had one late afternoon where I was in some thick bush and saw some larger saplings moving. At first I thought it was my partner but then after no response from him and me noticing a lot of bones, etc. around I got a little spooked and took off trying to make as much noise as possible. We saw lots of bear scat around this area. I've told my wife that there are no grizzlies around this area but now I'm wondering. Is it common for grizzlies to get this far southwest?

Yes we were in the East Kootenays, not near Grandforks. But there are plenty of Grizz in the West Kootenay's. Not sure if Grandforks has many, but I would assume they have a few.

Brambles
10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Canal Flats, eh!:wink:

Had to tell them somewhere, it was as good a place as any.:smile:

boxhitch
10-16-2009, 07:26 PM
I like the parallel to being put into a pillow case and beat.....Lots of Townies can relate to that.
Global announced the exclusive article, and CBC had it on almost simultaneously.

Brambles
10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Lots of Townies can relate to that.
Global announced the exclusive article, and CBC had it on almost simultaneously.

Hey Bill, was the CBC Clip any different than the global one???

I only caught the Global one, hope they will repeat it on the CBC late news

sapper
10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow. That was quick. Thanks. I just watched the Global video and realized where you were so removed my post.

But there are plenty of Grizz in the West Kootenay's.
Maybe I'll just keep this little bit of info to myself and not share it with my wife. :smile:

Spy
10-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Vancouver Island boxhitch,no grizz here

FlyingHigh
10-16-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/10/16/bc-kootenay-grizzly-attack.html

The men said that once they cleaned up and hiked back to their truck, they could see bear tracks that indicated the animal had been following them the previous day.

"i firmly believe she was hunting us" said Scown

in this thread you said backtracked a bit and found the tracks coming towards your tent. you said figured that it was a mother and cub and you figured they were surprised by your tent.

not being an ass, just trying to my facts straight. :)

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Vancouver Island boxhitch,no grizz here

Not true anymore. VI has grizzlies.

Go to the headwaters of the Granby and you'll have more grizz encounters that you would want.:?

SSS

Brambles
10-16-2009, 07:42 PM
OH YA!!!!!!! good interview...... glad you guys are ok.... I like the parallel to being put into a pillow case and beat..... heading back out again????? or done for the year/life?

Oh yeah, there is still a lot of mule deer hunting to do.

budismyhorse
10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
the comments on that CBC story are going to be epic! I love the bleeding heart city comments......just clueless.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/10/16/bc-kootenay-grizzly-attack.html#socialcomments

Brett
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Glad you guys made it out! what a story!

sapper
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Go to the headwaters of the Granby and you'll have more grizz encounters that you would want
Hmm, one of the spots we were at was around the Burrell Creek/N. Fork Road.:shock:

KodiakHntr
10-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Brambles, any relation to Keith?

tikkat3
10-16-2009, 08:40 PM
holy shit amazing story glad to hear you guys are ok, wow!

theK.G.B
10-16-2009, 08:58 PM
WOW. did you buy you lotto ticket yet.... glad to hear you made it out.
that is some crazy grizzly adams stuff right there.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Famous words: Guess who typed this?

Bring your own friggen camera, some of us try and set a good example by posting pictures in a timely fashion...........some of us.

Don't forget the rulez.

Have fun, don't get mauled. Remember, your buddies only have to run faster than you.

Maybe in the future you will converse in a respectable, polite manner.

10-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Had to tell them somewhere, it was as good a place as any.:smile:

I had an interesting experience in that area ~20 years ago. I was walking out of the slash in the dark (by moonlight only) when a bear huffed and snorted in the bush beside me. He was very close but decided to move away.

Brambles
10-16-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/10/16/bc-kootenay-grizzly-attack.html

in this thread you said backtracked a bit and found the tracks coming towards your tent. you said figured that it was a mother and cub and you figured they were surprised by your tent.

not being an ass, just trying to my facts straight. :)

Rattler has always thought it was predatory

I originally thought that it may have been a startled sow, but after
re-playing the whole ordeal, talk it over, and have discussion with others, including the CO. I have changed my outlook. I believe it was more than just a startled sow. All the facts add up to more than that IMO, but I decided to leave the story the way I originally wrote it, instead of editing it

buckguy
10-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Absolutely friggin' amazing. What an encounter, glad you guys are here to tell the tale.

qhergt
10-16-2009, 09:38 PM
amazing... some of those comment on the cbc site are just stupid

10-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Wow....amazing. So glad you walked away. We are so vulnerable when the sun goes down...damn near helpless. You guys handled it well.