PDA

View Full Version : snow goose strategies?

rudar
10-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Heya all,

So I've followed an avid duck hunter around for a couple of years, and think I have some vague idea how to figure out how to hunt ducks, and have picked up some duck decoys and whatnot.

But now I'd love to get into snow geese too (or canada geese, for that matter, but there seem to be so many of the snows down in Ladner, there...) I have a canoe, and was thinking of putting in at the end of River Road and paddling out a bit further out into the Brunswick Foreshore than where we could hike to... Last year, I hiked out there a few times, and the geese always flew too far overhead and landed out of range...

However, I don't have any goose decoys, nor any funds to buy them with. Is there any point to even trying to just head out, hunker down somewhere, and hope something comes within range? Are there other strategies I could use? Should I try to improvise silhouette or rag decoys from materials-on-hand with no cash outlay? Are they effective? Should I search the couch cushions for enough coin to get a call, at least, or would it probably not help much (especially given I wouldn't be the most skilled at using it...)?

MB_Boy
10-14-2009, 10:59 AM
However, I don't have any goose decoys, nor any funds to buy them with. Is there any point to even trying to just head out, hunker down somewhere, and hope something comes within range? Are there other strategies I could use? Should I try to improvise silhouette or rag decoys from materials-on-hand with no cash outlay? Are they effective? Should I search the couch cushions for enough coin to get a call, at least, or would it probably not help much (especially given I wouldn't be the most skilled at using it...)?

Ayup....they certainly do work. Snows aren't the "brightest" in the goose family. The decoys we use are just old newspaper printing press sheet metal that was cut and then sort of folded/wrapped in to make a bit of a cone shape and stapled on to a wooden stake. They were spray painted white and work like a charm still. Kind of imagine that you make the "body" of a regular goose decoy in the "wrapping/folding" process and use a heavy duty staple gun to attach it to a stake. They stacked perfectly inside of one another to save space in the canoe as well. We would also put out some white "fabric" in and amongst them to show some movement in and amongst the spread.

I'll see if I can dig up a picture of them for ya.