PDA

View Full Version : Disabled hunters

GRH
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Before I ask.I am not a disabled hunter.I am asking because I have run into a few that were.I asked them is there not a season for disabled people.As far as they knew there was not.
If there is a youth/senior season.Then WHY is there no disabled season.Or include disabled with the youth/senior
I think hunting should be enjoyed by everyone.
A stubbed toe or a cut on your pinky finger wont cut it but a legit disablity needs to be addressed.

Just my 2 sense (cents)

10-14-2009, 10:53 AM
There is a permit available to allow a disabled hunter to discharge a firearm from a vehicle and there is also a possibilty of getting a permit to drive in a road closure area. There are lots of restrictions - max speed is 10km/h; no more than 30km per day; no more than 60lbs of hunting gear in vehicle; if someone comes to help they can't use the vehicle for hunting (ie shoot something then they can't throw it in the back of the permit holder's truck, can't carry their hunting gear etc etc).

IIRC you need to be unable to walk 100 yards in order to qualify for the permit. You also need to display the permit while hunting (on dash of vehicle).

I agree with your point though (although my interest may be viewed as that of a butcher's in a cow) because if you are disabled you are pretty much limited to road hunting or hunting on private land where there is better access. I usually end up finding a "quiet" spur and make a little ground blind.