PDA

View Full Version : Murphy shows on the lauch-pad!

Little Hawk
10-14-2009, 07:03 AM
After a quick overnighter up Island to Parksville from Victoria with no apparent mechanical issues with the old 'Mo-ho', I breathed a sigh of relief as I backed her into the driveway Sunday afternoon.

Now... only 4-days to Blast-off, I thought to myself.

Yesterday morning the agenda included going over the basic mechanical checks on the old 'Mo-ho' in preparation of our Friday departure for the EK.

As I first walk around the front of her I notice some coolant on the ground under the rad. 'Shiten-hosen', I say to myself.

After dumping a coupla' cans of Bars stop-leak through her I call buddy down at Lordco and he tells me I can buy a new rad for $168.00, tax in.
So me thinks - although I'm on the tightest hunting budget ever due to my contracting business having seen better times - I'd be a fool not to replace the rad.

So I buy the rad and as I'm tearing out the old one I bust one of the rusted tranny lines. As I sit the new one in place I discover it's the wrong one! Now I'm thinkin', somewhere in the world it's "Happy Hour" and grab myself a beer. Back to Lordco and another $100.00 smackers and I've got the right one, except that the nipple for the heater hose is a smaller (5/8") one than the old one. So, I buy an adapter (when I could have simply swapped hoses) and me an' Dufuss down at Lordco decide all I need to do is cut off a small piece of my existing hose to make the connection.

Back home I compare the rads' and decide I've more or less got me the right one. Cool! I grab another beer.

First on the agenda: pull off the 5/8" hose from the heater-core and cut off a small piece to make the coupling. Off with the clamp and start tugging downwards on the hose to get it off the heater core pipe.(this heater-core is brand new, installed in Aug).

It doesn't budge.

Hummmm... pull a little harder? Grunt... snap! Off comes the hose WITH THE HEATER-CORE NIPPLE! A-A-A-G-G-G-G-H-H-H! I bellow to the heavens louder than that late-season six-point who's waiting patiently for me up in the EK...

At that point another beer sounds good. I put my tools away.
Two-days to get it right... hopefully without breaking the bank!

Stresd
10-14-2009, 08:19 AM
With that much stop leak in her the odds are that the heater core would have been plugged and had to be replaced anyways. Hope that you have much better luck and success on your trip.:cool:

sapper
10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Hopefully Murphy is finished talking and will be silent once you head off. What will you be searching for?

CooperSscat
10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Slow and steady with your re and re-ing there. No need to break out the BFH/just pull harder right away! You'll get her done no prob at all.

Your EK hunt will be all the more enjoyable with your rig back on the road tomorrow!

Jeremy

Cole
10-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Sorry dude, but I shot that 6 point yesterday.

Chuck
10-14-2009, 10:24 AM
It's the beer! Shizen-hozen, "NEVER TOUCH THE BEER" til the jobs done!
Good luck in your future endeavors.

In4TheHunt
10-14-2009, 10:38 AM
The trips that start like H*LL end like heven..

Good Luck

Jed
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Lol...... funny story......... but I do recall having the same luck at times...... anyways thanks for the laugh

huntcoop
10-14-2009, 02:42 PM
F*&k the 'ol Mo-ho and buy a new truck, for god sakes man, this is HUNTING.

Little Hawk
10-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Ha ha! Got'er done! Finished before noon; not bad for a carpenter?
New rad; new heater-core/hoses/clamps; tranny line re-bent/replaced - not mixing it up with the fan which is all good...

Tires are good; brakes are fair. But who needs brakes anyhow?

Food shopping tonight, start freezing sh!t. Packing/loading tomorrow then waiting around Friday to see if buddy Ray gets off early or not.

It's the waiting that kills ya! A whole fu#king years worth...

Likely be an evening ferry across Friday night then drive east till I get tired and start doing unscheduled lane-changes...

Ya I hear ya Coop but on my budget she's as good as it gets right now.
She (the Ole' Mo-ho) don't owe me nothing. She's taken the family to Disneyland and several camping trips around the Island and throughout the interior of BC as well as nearly a half-dozen major hunting trips on the mainland. I paid $2000.00 for her. Mind you, I also did a complete 'tin-off' restoration on her and replaced every piece of rotten framing I could find. A job not for the weak-of-heart I should say.

Will post results of our trip including pics of me with that big-fuggin' 9 x 9 Bull/Elk that's waiting for me and Mr. Barnes...

huntcoop
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Good luck making it home, sounds like a trustworthy and reliable mode of transportation.