PDA

View Full Version : Gang Ranch

cmac
10-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Looking to go there at the end of the month, never been before, was wondering where the nearest gas station is, I will be coming from clinton also once I leave hwy 97 how much of the drive is paved and how much dirt roads?

tomahawk
10-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Fuel up in Clinton on your way past, there is some seal coating\pavement for a few miles after you leave the Hwy and then its hard pack gravel for the most part. If you plan on road hunting bring fuel cans.

sceddy
10-13-2009, 08:25 PM
If your taking Meadow lake rd it's all gravel except for the first 10 km. Nearest gas is Clinton or Williams Lake depending on what road you take in.

.308win
10-13-2009, 08:28 PM
yep, fuel up in Clinton. was out there couple weeks ago. Once you turn off the highway (we went through Big Bar) its all dirt road from there, really good road, one of the smoothest dirt roads i've been on!! took us about a hour and a half to Gang from the highway. Good luck!!!

Perry

Bpower
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Just heard a report from someone up there this past weekend - not a single buck seen but lots of does

RiverBoatFantasy
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Paved all the way with traffic lights!

Brew
10-13-2009, 08:33 PM
take spare gas cans and chains if it snows or rains. the roads get bad if there wet once your over the bridge. Ran into a bit of trouble with the horse trailer last november after it snowed just 2 inches. Have a great hunt the country is beautiful. Hunt away from everyone else and you'll have luck.

Vital Shock
10-13-2009, 08:43 PM
ditto about the extra fuel. good luck, i look forward to hearing the report!

landphil
10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
not a single buck seen but lots of does

So all the bucks you saw were married with children or what?:razz:

Andy83
10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
went through gang ranch 2 weeks ago. no hunting signs all over the place. good luck.

Trophyslayer
10-13-2009, 10:11 PM
yea gang ranch is no hunting and they keep a pretty good watch on hunters.... try empire valley I was huntin sheep close to there this last weekend saw few small bucks up there they'd make yourself a good meat buck but LOTS of other hunters so I hope you like company

quackquackbang
10-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Ya we where there a couple weeks ago and done alot of hiking and never seen any bucks just all does!!! Im sure they are there,they just got there antlers took off for now!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

CooperSscat
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Isn't there fuel available at either the Canoe Creek IR or the Dog Creek IR? We've always carried in fuel cans to the Empire Valley.

Anybody know if there is Forest Service Road connectivity between Lillooet and Churn Creek/Gang Ranch via Yalakam, Poison/Red Mountains, Lone Cabin Creek, Empire Valley, and Gang Ranch OR via North up the Fraser River past Hogback Mountain accross Leon Creek, China Bar Mountain, Poison/Red Mountains, and Churn Creek, Gaspard Creek, and finally to Gang Ranch?

Jeremy

huntcoop
10-14-2009, 02:51 PM
...Anybody know if there is Forest Service Road connectivity between Lillooet and Churn Creek/Gang Ranch OR via North up the Fraser River past Hogback Mountain accross Leon Creek, China Bar Mountain, Poison/Red Mountains, and Churn Creek, Gaspard Creek, and finally to Gang Ranch?

......nope.

CooperSscat
10-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Ok thanks Huntcoop! I'll not waste my time blasting up that way scouting then.

Jeremy

Stresd
10-14-2009, 04:16 PM
A few different ways that I have travelled to Gang from lilloett on the west side of Fraser. All but one (Relay)required taking the Bigbar Reaction ferry across the Fraser then left towards Dog Creek and the back across the Gang Bridge.. Neat trip was from Boston Bar up the West side to Lilooett then the watson Bar rd to the ferry. The tyaughton also goes up over Poison Mt and China Head and down to the reaction ferry. The Yalakom also ties into that network. Not sure what the fires have done to those rds though. Relay we winched through to Big Creek 40 yrs or so ago. All because we had been sitting around the Table at Duane & Marion Witte's ranch (Teepee Heart)drinking with Paul St. Pierre. He told the story to us how he had come through relay in his datsun to Big Creek. Trails for that are all gone now.

CooperSscat
10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the note Stresd.

Almost 20 years ago far up the Mud Creek FSR my Dad and I bumped into 2 drunks in a pickup with a camper that said they were heading up to the gang ranch for hunting. My Dad thought-as they did-that a 4X4 could make the journey. Off they went with their spare tire dragging behind them.

That trip we did the loop around Poison Mountain and back down the Yalakom FSR to Carpenter Lake. I remember seeing Black Dome off in the distance and wished we could zip over there too.

Jeremy

muleychaser
10-14-2009, 06:57 PM
If you are going to hunt Empire Valley park the truck and hike. If you are looking for bucks drive through the Gang Ranch and head out the back end up high. Take jerry cans so as to not have to worry about fuel. On the way out go out threw Farewell Canyon. Still deer if you hunt the river benches but also just plain and simple beautiful country.

Big Lew
10-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Ditto on the extra fuel, closest fuel stops are Clinton, Lee's corner on the Bella Coola hwy., and Riske Creek Native reserve, otherwise Williams Lake. Most of Gang Ranch proper is posted, but there is lots of area past the posted area that contain a few deer, including bucks. Travelling toward Farwell canyon on the old, Gang Ranch road, be careful, as there are a couple of small farms in the timber on your right and a couple of small poisonous lakes, (used to be fenced off) on your left before reaching the Big Creek road. There is reasonably good deer hunting on the slopes between Fletcher lake and the Chilcoten river at Lee's Corner (Hanceville). Bring a grouse gun.