PDA

View Full Version : Right thing to do with wounded game?

kastles
10-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Walking out to my spot on Monday morning a flock of snows took off about 30 feet in front of me in the dawn light. When I got to the place where they had jumped from and found found one barely alive. I stopped to kill it but figured I may catch a bit of flack for killing a bird and leaving it. My question is would it have been legal to wring its neck and leave it? Or since huning had only been open for two days would the meat have been OK wring its neck and stick it in my bag?

endtimerwithabow
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
kill it and tell no one. dont eat it you dont know why its sickly

Ian F.
10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
whack it and check it out at home, just add it to your bag, otherwise just leave it be and let nature take it's course. Most of the time they are edible, just depends where the wound is. good thing with bad meat, it's easy to tell!

ian

PGK
10-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I probably would have left it. If I didn't shoot it, it doesn't come home with me. Nature isn't pleasant, critters die hard sometimes.

Jimbo
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
When my dog catches a cripple it gets dispatched and goes in the bag, assuming there is a legal season for the species. Post mortem at home and if it looks ok its kept, or if it is skinny or discoloured it goes.
Birds don't die lingering deaths from steel shot like they did with lead.

Marc
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
the season just beginning the bird would have probably been OK to eat. I wouldn't have touched it unless I had a migratory permit to possess it or a season open for it as well.

Back east it was against the law to "hunt" with a shotgun or riffle on Sundays but perfectly legal to take your dog out on the marsh and retrieve cripples and add them to your daily bag limit if you had a migratory bird permit

6 K
10-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Birds don't die lingering deaths from steel shot like they did with lead.

SORRY Jimbo I couldn't leave this one alone.
I have seen more cripples escape shot with steel than anything else.
To me it really should be banned. I agree a non-toxic shot law was needed in high populated areas with little water flow. But here on the tide flats or over the Skeena lead did much less harm than steel.

EVERYONE OR NO ONE !

Jimbo
10-14-2009, 10:42 AM
6K, I,m not trying to make the statement that steel shot is a better duck killer than lead.

On the subject of picking up crippled birds, a live bird injured by steel shot is probably safer to eat than a bird injured by lead, because it won't have the lead poisoning symptoms. ( skinny, green skin around the arsehole )
A bird with an injured wing can find feed in the marsh and sometimes live a long time, but if it's thin ... it's not in (the bag).

6 K
10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
On the subject of picking up crippled birds, a live bird injured by steel shot is probably safer to eat than a bird injured by lead, because it won't have the lead poisoning symptoms. ( skinny, green skin around the arsehole )
A bird with an injured wing can find feed in the marsh and sometimes live a long time, but if it's thin ... it's not in (the bag).

Ah, yes
I conceed the point.
No dissing intended

canucks6
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
kill it and move on. it wont go to waste in the bush. meat will be tough as sh*t layin there wounded n stressed.

heyblast
10-15-2009, 05:06 PM
I've dispatched cripples I've found when hunting. I'll pluck the feathers off the breast and if it looks okay it goes in the bag, if not it stays out there in the marsh and it'll be gone by the next day. A lot of times they're good fat birds that can't fly and with steel shot there's no worry about lead. I make the final decision at home when I finish cleaning the bird but they're usally okay and they're not tough.

10-16-2009, 10:22 AM
I was hunting snows yesturday and had about 4 birds come in to my spread. with wings cuped and feet out I sprung my blind open. busted the first one, it huts the ground, miss my second shot then busted the second bird, out of ammo. then I look back to se that my first bird has gotten up and stats to fly away. what gives? why would this bird hit the ground then fly away?

Farmer John
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I saw it happen. The first bird saw your shot wizz by about 6 feet to the left of him, started laughing so hard he fell out of the sky, hit the ground, caught his breath and took off again.

Samsquantch
10-16-2009, 01:03 PM
SORRY Jimbo I couldn't leave this one alone.
I have seen more cripples escape shot with steel than anything else.
To me it really should be banned. I agree a non-toxic shot law was needed in high populated areas with little water flow. But here on the tide flats or over the Skeena lead did much less harm than steel.

EVERYONE OR NO ONE !

The plunkers out at polymar and everywhere else have added more lead to that river than 1000 duck hunters over 1000 years.

30.06 Hunter
10-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Couple years ago I was walking out along the Oyster river and suddenly heard multiple gunshots from the nearby field. Few seconds later four geese, canadas, came whistling over the tree tops at top speed, a fifth one was in obvious trouble and barely cleared the trees and crash landed in the middle of the river, dead on impact.
So I waded out and took him home for supper. Didn't have a migratory bird license, but didn't have a gun either, but also didn't want to waste such a fine bird.
Could I have gotten in trouble? Maybe, but the bird was legally shot, just not by me, all I did was recover it. Would do it again with no worries.