PDA

View Full Version : 1st moose hunt regon 3 , 40

huntingchick
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
its our first time ever hunting moose. clearwater is one of our favorite places to hunt deer but we know little to nothing about hunting moose. was reading some threads and got lots of info but wondering if anyone could give me some advice about this area.. anything would be appreciated. im using a 270 remmington semi auto and a 7mm .
thanks

johnny cabbage
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
there's no moose in clearwater:mrgreen:

stroh72
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I like her already! 2 guns no waiting!! When are you going, how long ?

MB_Boy
10-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Do you guys have a draw or are you searching for the proverbial "needle in a haystack" in an immature??

This time of the year.......some/most will argue the 'high time' of the "first rut" is likely past but you will still get bulls coming into calls. A warm fall and a recent change in temps may have them moving around a fair bit. It's really tough to say until you out there and get a bit of an idea as to what's happening in various areas.

If you have never called....you can learn it fairly quickly; at least quickly enough to get by. There are instructional snippets online and many DVD's/CD's out there. If you are searching for an "immy", they will come into calls. More often than not if you have a bigger bull responding to a cow call "if" there is a little guy in the neighborhood he may not stick around too long or keep at a distance. Having said that.....if you see one.....don't give him time to scram. :-D

Other than that....get out there and try it all. There are people who will say to cover a lot of country on the roads and checking out various spurs into blocks; there are those that will get into some moosie looking areas and just hunker down and wait and there are those that will call as well at this time of year. Without some heavy snow at higher elevations pushing the animals (of all kinds) downwards I would tend to think up in that area that they will be quite spread out BUT they WILL be moving around.

I can tell you I was up in that neighborhood and didn't see any shortage of moose sign while hiking but I was on the west/northwest side of Clearwater (highway 5) hiking in Wells Gray.

Oh....and your guns are WAY, WAY too small; they are questionable at best up against the MASSIVE Clearwater Muley's that are the folklore of the internet. :wink::tongue:

huntingchick
10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
thanks guys, we are going between nov 1st and 10th. we got a draw this yr first time. we will either be hunting out of the truck or our toyota if its ready in time:)

421fighter
10-13-2009, 01:40 PM
My wife and I spent a week in 3-40 looking for some bucks October 1st. The ranchers seem to still have some cows out on the cut blocks, so it is hard to tell what is a cow or moose track. We didn't see any moose, though we put 800 km on our truck. Yeah, I know! Get off the road! Well, I have in the past done that, but the bush is so thick a rabbit packs a lunch! Saw a few deer, and got a shot at one buck. Didn't connect, though. You might want to try the far end of the Mad River road. About 8 km past Vavenby, on the left. Take the first branch right. It will loop around and come out at Avola, IF you take the correct turns. Best you have a good map of the area. Backroads B C isn't bad, but lacks a lot of detail.Also the road 90 that goes in past Wadlegger mill at Clearwater and up the Raft valley.Good luck.

Blainer
10-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Not trying to be critical,but there is a differance between a moose and cow track.
It is a good thing to be able to distinguish when moose hunting,study pictures on-line if unsure.
Good luck to you huntingchick.

ElliotMoose
10-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Shot plenty of moose with 1 shot on my .270, shot placement and time at the range is all that counts, nice flat trajectory for those long shots. My dad shoots a 7mm with 165 grain federal prem's and no moose lives to tell the tale
-other than complete misses ofcourse ha :roll:
Unless you are talking northern BC, would definitely pack the .300 for those brutes :biggrin:

Do you guys have a draw or are you searching for the proverbial "needle in a haystack" in an immature??

This time of the year.......some/most will argue the 'high time' of the "first rut" is likely past but you will still get bulls coming into calls. A warm fall and a recent change in temps may have them moving around a fair bit. It's really tough to say until you out there and get a bit of an idea as to what's happening in various areas.

If you have never called....you can learn it fairly quickly; at least quickly enough to get by. There are instructional snippets online and many DVD's/CD's out there. If you are searching for an "immy", they will come into calls. More often than not if you have a bigger bull responding to a cow call "if" there is a little guy in the neighborhood he may not stick around too long or keep at a distance. Having said that.....if you see one.....don't give him time to scram. :-D

Other than that....get out there and try it all. There are people who will say to cover a lot of country on the roads and checking out various spurs into blocks; there are those that will get into some moosie looking areas and just hunker down and wait and there are those that will call as well at this time of year. Without some heavy snow at higher elevations pushing the animals (of all kinds) downwards I would tend to think up in that area that they will be quite spread out BUT they WILL be moving around.

I can tell you I was up in that neighborhood and didn't see any shortage of moose sign while hiking but I was on the west/northwest side of Clearwater (highway 5) hiking in Wells Gray.

Oh....and your guns are WAY, WAY too small; they are questionable at best up against the MASSIVE Clearwater Muley's that are the folklore of the internet. :wink::tongue:

The Hermit
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Good luck on your hunt! Remember to take a come-along, lots of rope, and a chainsaw that doesn't have any chain oil on it for quartering the beast! Killing them is the easy part! Got quad? Also try to get off the road and down near the lake shores and swamps!

moosinaround
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
thanks guys, we are going between nov 1st and 10th. we got a draw this yr first time. we will either be hunting out of the truck or our toyota if its ready in time:)
So it will be after the rut. Bulls will be in the thick stuff. Cows will be close too. Little bulls will hang around the cows, thinking there may be a chance to breed. I killed a big bull two days ago with a 150gr TSX. Shot placement was in the chest. Shot placement is key. A quad will save a pile of packing, but make sure you can quarter it if you have to, or do the gutless method. Good luck, Moosin

busterboy05
10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I was hunting that area last year and saw nothing but 2 does in behind Wadleggers on the powerline.

Do not let anybody tell you that a .270 is to small or not enough for moose. That is all my father has hunted with for over 35 years. Shot placement is the key.

Island_Hunter85
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
I killed a nice bull a week ago using my .270 with 140gr just be sure of your shot placement . Good luck and have fun.

Squamch
10-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Got quad? Also try to get off the road and down near the lake shores and swamps!

they dont' need a quad, they've got a toyota!
good luck on your hunt!

MB_Boy
10-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Shot plenty of moose with 1 shot on my .270, shot placement and time at the range is all that counts, nice flat trajectory for those long shots. My dad shoots a 7mm with 165 grain federal prem's and no moose lives to tell the tale
-other than complete misses ofcourse ha :roll:
Unless you are talking northern BC, would definitely pack the .300 for those brutes :biggrin:

. I killed a big bull two days ago with a 150gr TSX. Shot placement was in the chest. Shot placement is key.

Do not let anybody tell you that a .270 is to small or not enough for moose. That is all my father has hunted with for over 35 years. Shot placement is the key.

I killed a nice bull a week ago using my .270 with 140gr just be sure of your shot placement . Good luck and have fun.

Let me just clarify.........270 or 7mm etc WILL work just fine for moose, just don't shoot him in the knee; but that applies to any calibre. :wink: I guess in my comment I should have put a few more winking smilies or smiles after the statement to confirm I was making a joke. :roll: :biggrin:

The Hermit
10-14-2009, 10:03 AM
they dont' need a quad, they've got a toyota!
good luck on your hunt!

LOL :lol: That is phunny!

Jelvis
10-14-2009, 04:15 PM
3-40 i$ good for hunting moo$e -- ju$t go and $ee it'$ clo$e anyway$ if $omeone from another country could u$e that tag you got they'd pay zillion$ but they can't, thank moe for that and you got the lucky leh'er and your gone into the Mu 3-40 up the Raft or into behind Avola or into the Mad river don't forget the quiver.
Hole-in-the-wall up the Raft get a little camp $pot and $tart driving around looking into meadow$ of willow and swamp$ the moo$e are there $o are the mule$ and cougar$.
If you don't $ee a moo$e in 3-40 hang up the 30-30 lol -- +++ --
Jelvinator be the terminator on your Lucky LEH -- POW -- a swampdonkey

dana
10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
The nov hunt can be hit and miss depending on the weather. A good buddy of mine had the Nov draw a couple years ago and hunted his ass off and couldn't find a bull. Last year I had 4 bulls all standing together in the middle of the Mad FSR at 10km on the first week of Nov. One was a dandy bull and another was an elusive spike/fork. Just a few days too late for me.
As for places to hunt, you've been given pretty good info thus far. If you don't have some serious snow, find it. Go high. Chains are a must. And be prepared to pound the alder in your Toy. It has taken over a lot of the roads in the unit.

T300WSM
10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
There will be other hunters out also, I have some friends that will be out there, I might be with them a few days. The roads will be packed down if there is snow, but like Dana said chains are a must. I have quads and sleds and a empty freezer if you need help....lol...

dana
10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Jellyism: If I wanted to avoid the crowds I'd spend my time looking for Berries instead ;)

huntingchick
10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
thanks guys i really appreciate all the info!!! wish me luck:D:D:D

d6dan
10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
wish me luck:D:D:D

Ok!. Good Luck:roll::grin:

SUAFOYT
10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
All I can say is good luck. There's snow now and Road 9 isn't maintained. You probably would be lucky to get to Silence Lake. The rest of the side roads will be worse and if any sleds get on them you're screwed, Toyota or not.