PDA

View Full Version : Counting Points

CJW
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Does anyone have tips for counting points on Elk. I've spotted what I think is the same bull two of the last four days. But I've yet to determine if he's a 6 point or not. I know he's a five for sure because this morning when I saw him I counted four not including the main beam. I just wasn't able to tell if he had the sixth up at the top or not. The time before when I saw him we had a stare down as we saw each other at the same time. When he was looking straight on I couldn't count all the points. He eventually turned and went behind a tree, not to be seen fir the rest of the day. I just wondering if anyone has any methods they use to count the points?

BCrams
10-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Play safe. Count them all.

If you can't see and count them to be 100% its legal (i.e., for 4 pt or 3 pt or 6 pt), don't shoot!

With elk, some guys will say if you see the top 3 ... its a 6 ... but many elk only have one front instead of 2!

Not a gamble I'm willing to take.

eastkoot
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
My advise, count and count again.. 2 5's this AM counted and counted. Was a neat experience but I am possitive I left 2 5's to grow.. That's what it's all about anyway, shaking and counting, neat to watch them spar and feed 50 yards in front of you..No amount of counting is going to grow that extra point...And is it really worth a chance that they MAY have that 6th that you can't see???

brotherjack
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM
With elk, some guys will say if you see the top 3 ... its a 6 ... but many elk only have one front instead of 2!

Yep -- or you get an elk like a buddy of mine shot a couple years ago that has what looks exactly like the back 3 (honestly, he really did!), you shoot him, and then you walk up, and he's really a 4 point on that side. God must like my buddy there, because elk actually did have 6 points on the other side (by a whisker thanks to a couple of abnormal points)), but he said his heart stopped when he walked up to the elk and saw he was only a 4 pt on the side he "counted" before he shot.

You MUST count all the way to 6 before you shoot, or you might find yourself in a very (very) awkward situation.

And yes, it is an absolute, utter, screaming pain in the backside to get an elk to stand still in thick timber long enough to get an honest count.

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Best option is to get the season changed to a 3 point season like it's supposed to be for the long term health of the elk herd.

However, in this current goofy season, count to 6, then count again. Single brow tines are not as uncommon as many may think.

Maxx
10-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Play safe. Count them all.

If you can't see and count them to be 100% its legal (i.e., for 4 pt or 3 pt or 6 pt), don't shoot!

Not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Agreed on all points....I always carry a spotting scope with me when elk hunting...

bushpig slayer
10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
i got into a fight with another hunter who knows all (bs) anyway he said if you see the big whale tail in the back it's a six.i told him to go pound sand, as i'm looking through a hunting magazine and with picture of a elk with giant whale tails count the points i said 1 2 3 4 5? wrong!i said not a 6 point.he said to me it must be a european elk ha ha ha or do you mean stag! this is why you count points so you don't look like this tool.so i said i guess your the shooter of all the immi's in this area he got in this truck and boogied out of there.the co has the plate number just incase.