PDA

View Full Version : Hanging meat

10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
What is, in your opinion, the optimal time to hang elk or moose?? Assume the meat is clean and temperature perfectly controlled.

308Lover
10-13-2009, 08:40 AM
You're obviously wanting to start up an old argument here! LOL Wild game does not usually have "marbled" meat or excess fat in the layers. I was taught in the early days (when we hung the meat in outdoor sheds mostly) that 3 days(not counting the kill date) was more than sufficient. Extra time served no purpose except to blacken some meat and dry out other parts. I have tried from 3 days to 2 weeks--similar results. Now you'll hear from all the site "experts". LOL Isn't that what you wanted?

RiverBoatFantasy
10-13-2009, 08:40 AM
If your dog stops sniffing and licking it and lifts his leg to piss on it you have hung it for too long.

10-13-2009, 09:26 AM
You're obviously wanting to start up an old argument here! LOL Wild game does not usually have "marbled" meat or excess fat in the layers. I was taught in the early days (when we hung the meat in outdoor sheds mostly) that 3 days(not counting the kill date) was more than sufficient. Extra time served no purpose except to blacken some meat and dry out other parts. I have tried from 3 days to 2 weeks--similar results. Now you'll hear from all the site "experts". LOL Isn't that what you wanted?

I didn't realize there were previus threads on the subject....guess I should have "searched". Anyway, I'm asking because I'm thinking of building my own cooler next summer. I have a good friend and hunting partner who hangs his deer for 3-4 weeks. He swears by it , and claims he can cut the steaks with his fork, everytime.

dukester
10-13-2009, 09:38 AM
X2. this will be a long one

dukester
10-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I didn't realize there were previus threads on the subject....guess I should have "searched". Anyway, I'm asking because I'm thinking of building my own cooler next summer. I have a good friend and hunting partner who hangs his deer for 3-4 weeks. He swears by it , and claims he can cut the steaks with his fork, everytime.
I bet he has stocks in Pepto also lol.. omg i had a mulie brought in last fall it hung for 2 weeks and was nasty. i gave it right back to the hunter. if that smells fresh then you cut it.

Mik
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM

X2.....i was also taught that after 24 hrs, thats when the muscles start to break down, which happens very quickly, and on the 3rd day its good to go(butcher it).

busterboy05
10-13-2009, 06:47 PM
I have found that it makes no difference in how long you leave moose to hang. I have started butchering meat 2 hours after getting it back home and have let it hang for 5 - 7 days. I actually prefered the moose that didn't hang very long...it had a pleasant sweet taste to it.

NoLimit99
10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Well I will put my 2 cents in.

I just finished hanging a deer 0ct 1 and after 2 weeks of waiting for a friend to come by with his grinder to help grind it up I decided to go out an buy my own so I did. I went into the cold storage and noticed a smell a little funky smell. The deer even though really cold started to stink and grow fuzz even though it was very well cleaned and hung properly skinned right away and washed down. Very disappointed and will never wait on other people again.

Last year I ground my deer up after 2-3 days and every thing was very very good I wont go any longer than that but that's my preference.

Brett
10-13-2009, 07:28 PM
hangs his deer for 3-4 weeks. He swears by it , and claims he can cut the steaks with his fork, everytime. I think the KEG says it's meat is aged 28 days? wonder if having a proper cooler is the key to doing this?