PDA

View Full Version : Moose LEH for 3-44

busterboy05
10-12-2009, 10:17 PM
This is my first year with a draw for this area. It starts Nov 1 for bulls. I heard last year that the moose were pretty rare in the area as I spoke to several hunters that were camping in the area for 2 weeks and didn't even see a thing. Went home without their bulls. I don't want to have that kind of sucess when I go. Has any body been in the area working and seen anything? How is the wolf population in 3-44 as I would like to thin out a pack if I get the change. Plus a nice wall mount would be awesome!!!
Where would be the best place to go for moose?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

SUAFOYT
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
The local CO was up at the Manteau on a shared hunt with his son and they scored 2. Get your maps out, have a look and make a plan. Above all, be prepared for any weather including the potential for lots of snow.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-14-2009, 04:03 AM
My Dad has the same draw. He put in without me knowing ...as he used to work up Manteau a number of yrs ago. No holidays for me then so he's on his own. Might get some help from firends that live in Valemont

Nov moose hunting can be tough.
I've heard that no one is working up there now so the roads, most likely, won't be plowed.

Good luck!

SSS

Patman
10-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I've got a cow/calf draw for the same area (Nov1-10), and am wondering the same thing....

10-14-2009, 03:54 PM
cow calf way easier then the Nov. Bull draw, you should find something but as SSS said Nov. Bulls can be tough, wait as late as you can and use sleds.

Road show in there, every one from Valemont and Clearwater ... you'll see.

they all take 1000 feet of cable and a winch, you'll see why that too.

CT

busterboy05
10-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Why is it that when someone mentions 3-44 everybody assumes that they are talking about the North Thompson FSR??

There are other areas like Thunder river, Mt. St. Annes, The Jackhammer, Allen creek, Albreba and I'm sure there are a few more I am missing here.

I would like to hunt the whole area not just the Thompson area.

dana
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
busterboy05,
My thoughts exactly. If I had that draw I'd hit as many of the drainages as I could depending on snow of course. North Blue and South Allen would be some of the lower ground that you should be able to access even with a good dump. I was working up the North Thompson for a good part of the summer and only saw 1 small bull and 1 cow. But with the dryness of the summer and the amount of fire crews in there it isn't rocket science that the bulls would be avoiding the roads. Worked in there a lot last winter as well. The wolf pops are very strong. Tracks every day. If you see one of those buggers, please do a better job at killing them than I have. Have had several chances this year but they were all too fast for me. Like others have said, a Nov Bull draw is very hit and miss. Seems years with a lot of snow are better. Cold and no snow can be bad as the moose avoid the meadows due to the ice. As for plowing roads, I'm uncertain of schedules, but there may be a road building crew working above the Manteau junction but that would be it.

busterboy05
10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Snow is not a problem as my father lives in Blue and has a couple of sleds that are ready to go if needed.

Patman
10-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the comments....I don't know the area at all. I'm pretty inexperienced, so I'm planning to go with a friend who knows moose!

busterboy05
10-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I hope I can find something this year.