PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Report-hope area

drakehunter
10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
well, without anyhelp or any sense of direction to where to find mule deer besides the ''interior'' I drove out to hope this morning and 4x4 into the some of the side cuts down the jones lake road, to hike around to look for some deer and get a lay of the land. Walked and hiked for about 6 hours and did a bit of sitting aswell and saw one small doe and he 2 fawns on the edge of a cut,no bucks or signs of rubbing or anything either. Im thinking of heading north of the coquahlia next weekend but once again don't have any idea where to start. hope everyone had a fun and safe weekend in the bush!

TIKA 300
10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Just got back from the east side of Harrison,and seen 000, @ least you seen deer...:cool: :D

nano
10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Was up the jones lake area a few weekends ago and saw nothing but it looked good.

Mtn Wonderer
10-13-2009, 05:53 AM
In the chillwack range I hunt high, southern slopes where alpine meets the treeline or Hunt low residential deer. Seldom see deer in between but I could be blind.

MTW

mud-dog27
10-13-2009, 06:21 PM
ive spent years camping around jones and have seen maybe 5 does and 2 black bears.....not much game round there and ive covered almost everything ressembling a road/trail

Axeman
10-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I second Mud-Dog27. Been goin' up for years seen a handfull of bears and one doe.

Camp Cook
10-14-2009, 07:00 AM
The deer that are in this area are called Coastal Blacktail they are a sub species of deer that likes heavy cover and very rarely come out into the open during good weather.

At this time of year I prefer to hunt them just after a rain storm or when it is still raining lightly, due to the deer not being able to hear danger around them in the thick bush they move out in to logging cuts/meadows/open areas.

If your hunting them during good weather the only way to be constantly successful is to still hunt them but you have to be extremely quiet and almost scent free or they will smell you and you'll never know they were around.

Any of the side roads off of the Coquihalla or the Canyon will work for you unfortunately they are becoming better known to local hunters and the road hunters are starting to crowd each other so find a nice cut and go for a walk.

:wink:

Gun Dog
10-14-2009, 09:04 AM
The deer that are in this area are called Coastal Blacktail they are a sub species of deer that likes heavy cover and very rarely come out into the open during good weather.Or hang out in your back yard while you're barbequing. They know the hunting regs and no shoot zones.