PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting a newbie - one less PG calf moose

BCrams
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Cold temperatures in the PG region is providing dynamite moose hunting right now and I know of quite a few moose dropping this past weekend so far.

As some read in a previous post, I was hoping to round out the freezer with a calf after the 2 pt bull taken by Dad last Thursday.

My 9 year old nephew comes from a non-hunting family and arrived in town Thursday and seeing the 2 pt hanging up, he really wanted to go hunting. Up to that point he had heard all the stories of the hunts we've been on but never had been on a hunt before.

So on Friday evening, knowing I was going to head out, I asked if he wanted to go on his first ever hunt to see if I could get a moose on Saturday morning for the calf opener and he was so pumped he only got about 4 hours of sleep that night ..... he had no clothes or boots but a little improvising and digging around we found some stuff for him to wear.

Left town early Saturday with intention to arrive at the planned block to do a walk through.

To put a long story short, at 8am we came upon a cow and a smaller moose and after a minute it was clear it was a yearling cow and not a calf or spike / fork bull. My nephew was quite excited so at least he saw moose. After they took off, we walked another couple hundred yards and there against the treeline at the end of the block was another cow moose over 300 yards yards away. Looking through the bino's I picked up her calf lagging about 20 yards behind her. Told my nephew not to move while I found a half assed rest to steady the gun while standing and I swear my nephews whooping was louder than the report of the rifle.

A few excited minutes with a very pissed off / agitated cow moose added to the drama.

I put the spot on to signal my Dad as where I dropped the calf, I was going to need the help of the quad to get the moose out as it was several km back through deactivated areas which included having to build a quad bridge across a gully.

Gutted the moose and hiked back to the truck to wait for Dad and he showed up with my Nephews Dad at 11:30 and a couple hours later, had the moose back out.

My nephew had a great time and can't wait to go hunting again.

A few pictures:

First light. Walking in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/PA100001.jpg

Cow with yearling cow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/PA100004.jpg

Prime moose habitat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/PA100007.jpg

Tender eats.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/PA100014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/PA100012.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Good job, Calf Killer!!:biggrin:
Should be some great eating!

Hope you nephew is hooked!!:)

SSS

10-11-2009, 08:20 PM
That's great BCRams. Hopefully he will stay interested in hunting. That will be fine eating too...mmmmm moose calf schnitzels....

BCrams
10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Hopefully he will stay interested in hunting. ...

I think he is. Announced he was going to spend his savings on hunting clothes to his parents when we got back.

Kirby
10-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Congrats, sounds like an amazing day for the young guy.

Kirby

Brambles
10-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Nice going Rams, that'll be goooooood eatin.

Blainer
10-11-2009, 09:27 PM
That will be a memorable hunt for the both of ya.
Good stuff.

CanuckShooter
10-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Good job, hope he gets some meat off that calf to share with his family. Nothing like prime calf moose steak to solidify his experience.

Little Hawk
10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Way to go BC!
Thanks for sharing the pics and a great story about the young fella.

In my view, new-hunter recruitment is the single most important issue with our shrinking fraternity.

Good on you!

Brett
10-12-2009, 08:24 AM
he looks excited that's GREAT I had always wanted to go hunting at his age, but alas, sniff not till I was 30, Keep him going and support what you started. He'll never forget it

10-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Great to see you getting some young guns into our sport. Good on you and the little fella!

That will be some good eating moose.

CT

Bow Walker
10-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Good for you for taking the youngster out! What did hid Dad have to say about the whole thing? Did he help out with the "calf-to-the-truck" work - or is he an anti?

I got a calf up in the Bednesti area a few years back. Tasted like a very flavourful veal. Everything on it was tender and good.

calvin L
10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Good for you two . Ther is nothing like getting some thing on his first ever hunt . I think he may have a new fav uncle . congrats

calvin L

Mik
10-12-2009, 11:22 AM
First ever hunt and way to go! Congrats to the both of you.

Maxx
10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
great story...Congrats!

jml11
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I was in an adjacent block and heard the shooting (yes plural :eek:) and immediatley told myself that you had gotten a moose! Nice work glad the kid got to experience all aspects of the hunt!

dana
10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Rams,
Good on ya for takin your newphew out and making a lifetime memory for him. That's what we all have to do. Looks like some great eats there. Now you won't have any excuses for shooting a rat buck this year. ;)

hillclimber
10-12-2009, 07:25 PM
good on you bcrams for taking a junior out. congrats to him on the fine moose. should be a full freezer now!
which MU were you hunting if you mind me asking and how much traffic was in the area?

cheers
stefan

10-12-2009, 07:32 PM
A truely great experience for that young guy, he won't forget it for the rest of his life, nor will you I expect. It would be really interesting to hear him telling his buddies back home the whole story. Good job Greg, you will be his favorite uncle "Uncle Bwana Greg" for all time.

PGK
10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Shoot(ing)!? Do tell :biggrin: Nice moose budday, I may have to buy a moosey tag now!

BCrams
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Now you won't have any excuses for shooting a rat buck this year. ;)

That thought crossed my mind :cool:

hillclimber - tonnes of traffic....while waiting at the truck, over 9 vehicles / quads in an hour drove by while we ate snacks and drank hot chocolate sitting on the tail gate of the truck.

PGK - plural indeed. Shooting off a flimsy tree smaller than my wrist which was half up rooted at an angle while standing wasn't the greatest for me. I missed my first 2 shots. Spined the calf on the 3rd. 4th to finish it off ......... and 5th to ward off the pissed off cow with a lot of yelling. My nephew was about 100 yards behind me when I finished off the calf and the cow came out of the timber ears back with focus on him and so I fired one off and then ran to get inbetween the cow and him.

Not too thrilled with the shooting (or distance which was actually more than 300) and wished I had a solid rest, which would have made all the difference at that range.

6616 - Be a good story I think. He has a photo of himself posing with my rifle etc and riding on the quad that he specifically wants me to send him to show his friends.

frenchbar
10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Goog job on taking your nephew out with ya rams,im sure uncle will get him out a few more times in the future..looks like some good eats.

The Hermit
10-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Great stuff. Hope you gave him an ear for show and tell!!

ydouask
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Well done all round Greg. Dead is dead we always say.

PGK
10-12-2009, 09:25 PM
You mulie camp guys are keeping ammo companies in business :lol: Dead is dead...

10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
BCRams - I started carrying a shooting stick many years ago. I used to cut a straight sappling, about 2" diameter and it doubles at a walking stick. I now use a piece of bamboo.

BCrams
10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
BCRams - I started carrying a shooting stick many years ago. I used to cut a straight sappling, about 2" diameter and it doubles at a walking stick. I now use a piece of bamboo.

That would have been the ticket right there!!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2009, 03:34 AM
That would have been the ticket right there!!

You also could have used your Trekking poles. Looks like a nasty slash to hike through!:p
BTW-Speaking of trekking poles.....did you finally break the news to your wife???:tongue:

SSS

BCrams
10-13-2009, 07:47 AM
You also could have used your Trekking poles. Looks like a nasty slash to hike through!:p
BTW-Speaking of trekking poles.....did you finally break the news to your wike???:tongue:

SSS

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to tell her. :-D Hoping they show up :neutral:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to tell her. :-D Hoping they show up :neutral:

Now you know what to get her for x-mas:wink:

SSS

calvin L
10-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I see a cold couple of nights coming up for Rams

bruin
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Look forward to seeing more pictures of him with dead stuff. Nice job

ThinAir
10-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Great job, will be some good eating this winter!

Your nephew will have memories for years to come. Gotta love the drama once a calf hits the dirt:grin:

theK.G.B
10-13-2009, 12:48 PM
sounds epic!!! great photo's, and most of all, good job for bringing a little guy into the sport.

Phil
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Great story and congrats to you on the moose as well as bringing your nephew in to the sport.

budismyhorse
10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
two clean misses and then a spine shot....sounds like "moose fever!" ;)

congrats and good job welcoming in a young person to hunting. That is how we likely all started out.

cheers!