PDA

View Full Version : mule deer help

theglenbear
10-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey guys I have been a long lime looker on the site but have never posted. untill today. I need some info. I have been hunting for 5 years.
I mostly hunt moose but due to work I have had to miss out on the annual 2 week trip. So I have started to put some time in and concentrate on mule deer, since I can easily go after them on my days off. I have managed to get 3 bucks in the last 5 years but only by complete fluke while I was driving around in the truck looking for ditch chickens. Now that I’m actually putting time in I have realized I know absolutely nothing about hunting deer. The few cut blocks I have been hunting I will get into before light and glass form the top just in the tree line. I have seen deer sign fresh droppings and tracks, but so far I have only managed to see only a few dows. I have sat and watched them hoping a buck would maybe be in the aria but no such luck. What should I do? Can they be called to? Should I find another aria? What do you look for in a good aria? Any info would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks Glen

Blainer
10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Hunt the rut.
If you find the does,the bucks will come during the rut.

bruin
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Where bouts are you located?

Jelvis
10-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Queen Charlotte Island$ would be hot for deer hunt$, blacktail and black bear, world cla$$ action non-$top and a great holiday to boot.
Jel -- Queen Charlottes Islands deer paradi$e record black bearz

M.Dean
10-11-2009, 06:29 PM
If you've found does, that's half your battle! 7 out of 10 times if there's does around, there's going to be a few small bucks with them. If you can spot deer feeding, unaware that your there, bucks may come out after they think it's safe. I've seen bucks stay just inside the tree line for hours, waiting to make real sure it's safe to come out and feed near the does. Some bucks use the does as a kind of alarm system!Watch the does real close, if you see them, ears pointed straight ahead, looking in the brush, there's something in there, hopefully a big buck waiting to come out! If the does don't get killed out there, they think they can mozie on out and feed also. Some large bucks don't hang any where near the does until the rut, some will hang out in the same general area, your looking for the ones that do. When I hunt I look for deer, bucks or does, then I at least know there's deer in that area. After finding deer, then it's time to try and figger out where the bucks are! If you've found a spot with a fare amount of deer activity your going to see bucks sooner or later! I'd stick with the area your seeing deer in, it sounds like you know the area, so hang in there and I bet you post a pic of a decent buck!!! Good Luck!

theglenbear
10-11-2009, 07:36 PM
So sounds like Im on the right track just got to be paishent. Is there a way to call deer in this time of year or just when they are in rut?

chris
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
although yes you can call in bucks dont expect it to be as easy as calling moose. I shot a 4 point yesterday and it was along the edge of the tree's while 3 does and a spike were in the open.