PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile....

ratherbefishin
10-11-2009, 09:01 AM
I was invited by a non hunting friend to spend the weekend up at 100 mile-never hunted the area-isn't that mainly mulie country-or are there any whitetails?is it worth having a moose tag on the chance[slim] of running into an immature?

MIL720
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
mainly mulies , the odd whitetail. 100 mile is in region 5 you'll have to go over to 3 for an immy .Lots of guys out tryin to find immys right now.

FLHTCUI
10-11-2009, 09:24 AM
I heard of a guy taking a hybrid last year near Williams Lk.
I know , I know thats a long ways away from 100Mile.
Do you ahve tags for both already or do you need to spend some money?
I would wager if you dont have a tag your going to see one and you'll wished you had a tag.
Get out and beat the bush!
Rob

MuleyMadness
10-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I was invited by a non hunting friend to spend the weekend up at 100 mile-never hunted the area-isn't that mainly mulie country-or are there any whitetails?is it worth having a moose tag on the chance[slim] of running into an immature?

It is mainly muley country but there are whitetail's in the area as well, though certainly not anywhere as prolific. Like was mentioned there is no GOS for moose in region 5....mind it it's not because there are no moose, quite the opposite, but for some reason :roll: it's been closed for quite some time except for LEH. I would buy both tags to be sure, but you really are in some great mule deer country there, so I would suggest making them your primary hunt, but for the 15 bucks or whatever the tag is worth, is it really a good idea to not have a whitey in your book?

ratherbefishin
10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
not asking for anybodys special spot-but can you give me any general idea of where to hunt-not looking for ''extreme '' hunts-cutblocks or old roads would suit me fine[at 62,I'm not even LOOKING downhill for a deer]if I make it-it would be the end of October-early November.Just some 2 wd accessable place ,maybe a few grouse and a chance for a mulie would be nice.My FN son will be coming with me-so we'll be bringing a rifle and a set of golf clubs-the rifle for me-the golf clubs for him-he doesn't fish or hunt and I don't golf[the lad is grave disapointment to me-musta raised him wrong]

MIL720
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
no point in bringin golf clubs.Everything is all closed up around here.Try the 1100rd out behind the saw mills.Lots of deer out there.

oldtimer
10-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Make sure it is before Nov. 11th as Bucks shutdown in region 5-1 to 5-15 on Nov 10th. Mike

Moose72
10-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Yup 1100 rd. Out exeter rd. Lotsa blocks, deer, and grouse. Turn left at last light on north end of town by the chevy dealer.

M.Dean
10-12-2009, 05:28 AM
We used to hunt lots around English Lk, French Lk, Neda Lk if I remember right. Lots of muleys, took lots of moose out of there also. Wolves were a problem, not sure if there's still any around there now. We would hike the logging cuts, always seen game. Good Luck.

ratherbefishin
10-12-2009, 06:55 AM
thanks-much appreciated.Is my 2WD ok-or should I bring my quad?[I'm also wondering if this change in weather is going to bring snow up there]

MIL720
10-12-2009, 09:44 AM
2WD with some weight in the back should do just fine...

hillclimber
10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
2wd should be fine. I was hunting the north bonaparte rd ( its the border between region 5 and 3) it was -20 there yesterday!! My deer was frozen solid LOL. If you have any questions PM me.

cheers
stefan

steelheadSABO
10-12-2009, 07:53 PM
bring warm clothes it was -10

betteroffishing
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
a bit of a drive but in behind lac le hache is helena lake road . ionly hunted it for one day , but in that day i had really close encounters with 2 of the biggest mulie bucks i ever have seen. didnt connect on either and that fact haunts me and will continue to do so for some time to come. again... helena lake road.

recoil
10-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Just got back from this area, did not see much in the Helena area although i only spent a day there, roads nasty with plenty of blowdown from Friday's wind storm. Just saw some does and a huge sow with a cub. Saw many more deer out towards lone butte, horse lake area, lots of does milling about but bucks seem to be sticking to the deep woods. Did see decent 4x4 mulie in someone's front yard though. Grouse everywhere this year, bring your shotgun.

betteroffishing
10-19-2009, 07:22 AM
yeah the blow downs were a problem for me as well , thats what made me get out of the truck and hike so much , thats when i seen my 2 big bucks , along the gametrails walking like a ninja.