PDA

View Full Version : Experienced sheep hunters

WoodOx
10-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Sheep hunters are famously secritive about locations, but for those sheep huntes who I know frequent these forums who have a lifetime more experience and knowledge than myself, what is you ropinion on time of season to hunt?

typically I would guess hte majority of hunters head out in august.

advantages of hunting in august versus september?

is the timing from august to september adequate for sheep to relax following the flood of hunters in august?

opinions or comments would be much appreciated

ydouask
10-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Did someone say SHEEP? Never heard of them !

RiverBoatFantasy
10-10-2009, 07:35 PM
That sounds like a question best answered by Dr. Valerius Giest.

bayou
10-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Which of the four species in B.C. you talking about that might make a difference as well

olharley guy
10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Howdy, when I used to go on the yearly sheep hunts, We would try to get out a couple days before opening day as the areas usually have an outfitter close by so we would try to hunt before they really got spooked.

On another note we would save our pennies all year and after studying topo maps etc. we would charter a turbo beaver or similar that would put us right in the top valleys usually on a strip of water less than a 1000 ft. long and about the 4500-5000 ft. level.

Once in a while we had to hike down a couple thousand feet to get picked up on a bigger piece of water if we had an extra animal.

Mid September is nice but there is the chance of having a dangerous snow storm hit you while in the high country-good way to break some bones if a wrong step was taken and not good when there is only two people.

Never stayed out in the hills longer than 5 days total and 90% of the time successful with sheep and caribou.

I remember one trip we flew into an area that was supposed to have a very heavy concentration of sheep but we never saw one in four days but that's the chance you take when sheep hunting and the only bad part was the expense for the Pilatus Porter-but the trip itself was great as far as scenery and exploring.

WoodOx
10-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Sorry - stone sheep.

so is the positive of having them toally unspooked ie go up end of july better or worse than going after they calm down ie end of august early sept

olharley guy
10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Howdy, in my opinion I found the very beginning of the season the best chance for getting one because you have those paying guys on horses packing guns chasing them and the B.C. local foot patrol people trying to get one also and it goes on until end of September. Later

blackbart
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Early season = loads of hunters and longer days.

Later season = less hunters and shorter days.

The weather in those parts can be good or crappy either way!

Do the math.

David Heitsman
10-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Later = more snow
Later = lower sheep
Later = sheep with real hair
Later = no other hunters