PDA

View Full Version : Shooting shotgun in rain

rollingrock
01-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Anybody here tried shooting your shotgun in rain? Was there any problem?

CanAm500
01-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Ive fired our Benili 20 gauge in the rain, no problems...although you may want to wipe your shotgun down after (to prevent rust).

ruger#1
01-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Bill i used to duck hunt in the rain and snow. had no problems at all, just give it a very good cleaning at the end of the day, and leave a thin coat of oil on it, i do not recomend WD40 it is caustic.

Dirty
01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I use Tri-Flow on my shotgun after it has been in the rain. I am sure there are many different products available for treating your gun after using it in the rain. I suggest making a trip to your local sporting goods store and asking them for a suitable product.

rollingrock
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
:grin: Okay, thank you guys! I'm gonna go kick around this weekend.

Gilmore
01-05-2006, 10:10 PM
No different than shooting your rifle in the rain, when your finished wipe it down and oil her up. Hell you should have been at the Pitt Meadows prize shoot on New Years Day, at times it was not too bad, other times it rained, at the end it was a monsoon! Nothing oil and a rag didn't take care of. Chad

Freshtracks
01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Bill i used to duck hunt in the rain and snow. had no problems at all, just give it a very good cleaning at the end of the day, and leave a thin coat of oil on it, i do not recomend WD40 it is caustic.

After hunting all day in a monsoon ..... when I got home the wet smoke pole got well sprayed down with WD40 and left, barrel down to allow any water to disappaite/dry. Then it got wiped down and a light spray again till next time out. Usually the next day. I found it was the best solution to prevent salt marsh and rain from trying to create any rust on it. It got the good oiling when the season was over.

27 years later, one bluing job and needing another but rust free. :wink:

lip_ripper00
01-05-2006, 11:38 PM
No different than shooting your rifle in the rain, when your finished wipe it down and oil her up. Hell you should have been at the Pitt Meadows prize shoot on New Years Day, at times it was not too bad, other times it rained, at the end it was a monsoon! Nothing oil and a rag didn't take care of. Chad
were we invited?

Gilmore
01-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Come one, come all. I know I wasn't invited, as long as you've got your money I'm sure they'll take it. They sure took mine!! Mind you I took a few of their turkeys, hams, and chickens as well so we'll call it even.:wink: Chad

MichelD
01-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Freshtracks nailed it.

I've been trying a film of Fluid film too just 'cause I have a few sample spray cans I got at a trade show.

I don't spray FF into my action though, WD for that.
The FF just looks too gooey, but it sheds rain like a duck!

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Come one, come all. I know I wasn't invited, as long as you've got your money I'm sure they'll take it. They sure took mine!! Mind you I took a few of their turkeys, hams, and chickens as well so we'll call it even.:wink: Chad

Bloody farmers shoudl gorw thier own turkeys and chickens and leave some meat fo rthe rest of the people!!:tongue:

Gilmore
01-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Never fear Clarkie my boy. I know you had a tough year & the freezer looks like the inside of an empty campbells soup can, so if your getting low in the ol' meat department just give me call & I can praobably hook ya up!!:biggrin:

NEEHAMA
01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
i was beaten by my gun-smith for using the WD40. he said over time it can build up and "gum" up actions. also i was told it is made with fish oil?. good on fishing lures not so good on ice cream.

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Never fear Clarkie my boy. I know you had a tough year & the freezer looks like the inside of an empty campbells soup can, so if your getting low in the ol' meat department just give me call & I can praobably hook ya up!!

:razz:

I have my whole walk in freezer full. I won't starve!:grin:

Besides, I've got alot of lamb, wild boar, moose, salmon and bear in the freezer anyway...Although I think I am down to the last couple of wild boar packages...:grin:

Hell, it would probably do me good to miss a meal or 2.;)

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
i was beaten by my gun-smith for using the WD40. he said over time it can build up and "gum" up actions. also i was told it is made with fish oil?. good on fishing lures not so good on ice cream.

WD40 can and will become gummy.

WD40 Is more of a water displacer than a lubricant.

If you want an inexpensive gun lubricant, look no further than ATF.:-P

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Whole lotta piggy!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/153Picture_132.jpg

NEEHAMA
01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
gate you mean like tranny fluid? isn't it too thick? i use G96 cause it smells good.
it smells soo good! do they put that smell into it or what?!!

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 04:35 PM
gate you mean like tranny fluid? isn't it too thick? i use G96 cause it smells good.
it smells soo good! do they put that smell into it or what?!!

ATF is great gun oil.

It's also one of thecomponents of Eds Red, a itme tested all purpose gun cleaner.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

I mixed up a 4ltr batch of it acoupel of years ago, still got half.

I don't use it for removing copper from bores, though. WIPEOUT or if youare in a hurry, CR-10 is what I use for bores.:cool:

NEEHAMA
01-06-2006, 04:52 PM
where was the wild boar hunt gate? that photo is rich with carnage!

Gilmore
01-06-2006, 05:27 PM
:razz:

Hell, it would probably do me good to miss a meal or 2.;)

You & me both buddy!

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 05:49 PM
where was the wild boar hunt gate? that photo is rich with carnage!

Ontario, Spring of 2005, Wild Russian boars, with crossbows.

Alot of fun, although possibly not 100% fair chase.:grin: Not easy, by any means, though..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/153Picture_119.jpg

NEEHAMA
01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
do they taste like the pig or do they have a different taste?

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 06:13 PM
they have an excellent flavour, similar ot pork but much richer. The meat is purplish, closer to bear than most modern pork.

Fred
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Not fair chase? What if he had got ahold of you! I wouldn't be quite so critical of that hunt. :wink: Fred

Freshtracks
01-06-2006, 08:43 PM

Hmmmm ... 27 years, action has never gummed up. Never attracted dust bunnies either.

Fish oil? .. no wonder I had a bear sneek up on me on the Pitt. :p

Hoppes #9 for degreasing/bore cleaning.

farmboy
01-06-2006, 09:23 PM
I shoot a Beretta Extreme (semi-auto), Remington Peerless (over&under) and I cleaned my shotguns every 5 or 6 shooting trips with strip down an used air compressor to blow all those grinds and dirt out. Then oil lightly.

If I go hunt snow geese out in saltchucks, I used my good ol' 870 pump and after using it i thow the shotgun into tub filled with warm fresh water and rinse it throughly later.

I then lightly oiled it with Outer's oil.

Hope this tips help.:roll:

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Not fair chase? What if he had got ahold of you! I wouldn't be quite so critical of that hunt. :wink: Fred

Well, Fred, it wsn't 'fair chase' in the sense that they were fenced in. Even though the area was very large, ultimately, they couldn't actually run over the next mountain.:wink:

It's hard for us in BC to understand completley, but it was on a big farm, and over 2 days, 11 of us killed 7 pigs.

The odds were really stacked in the pigs favour- they were tough to hunt, required alot of different tactics from pushing, sitting on stand, running them down, and still hunting.

Basically, it was an awesome way to get some meat.

One of the larger sows took several hits with the arrows, was adminstered a point blank Texas heart shot, (which should have been the coupe de grace) yet still managed to chase the shooter around a few trees for a couple of minutes while he fended it off with his bow.

Upon dressing, we found that the broadhead had odged in it's skull!!!

It wasn't shooting fish in a barrel, but like I said, ultimately they couldn't head for the next hill!

GOod times, and we went turkey hunting , too!:grin:

Gateholio
01-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Hmmmm ... 27 years, action has never gummed up. Never attracted dust bunnies either.

Fish oil? .. no wonder I had a bear sneek up on me on the Pitt. :p

Hoppes #9 for degreasing/bore cleaning.

FT,
Without a doubt, using WD40 in the short term can work well, I've certainly done it.

But since you use #9 often enough, I doubt you will ever get gumming up...

I think the problem is more the guys that have laer upon layer of WD40 on thier guns, with no other solvent in between.:grin:

MRBucks
01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
I'll 2nd the G96! It is very good for cleaner, lubricant, and protectant. Yup, and it smells good.:wink:

I've used WD-40 for years as well, on my goose gun with no ill effects, usually as a wash down after a wet day in the field. I then wipe off all the excess.

WD-40 is one of the better wad plastic fouling removers for shotgun barrels I've used. Spray some down the barrel, then run a wooden dowel with some 000 steel wool, chucked in a drill, through it a few passes. Barrel comes out like a mirror!:-D

elkster
01-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Gatehouse,
hose are some nice boars for sure. The question is? How do you make a silk purse outta the the guy with the pig. He He !!!.