PDA

View Full Version : what a joke our system at work

markgb98
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
This is a story from my local paper. I have removed the name because it is erelivant. the person in question got nailed about ten years back for pitlamping a bunch of elk and leaving them in the bush. He lost his license for 5 years couldn't put in an leh for 10. Being that this is his second time through the ringer I think the most recent sentnce is a total joke. I havn't seen a moose yet this year but this guy goes out and drops 5 kinda frustrating if you ask me.

HERE IS THE ARTICLE

Hunting season is upon us and the following case illustrates that courts do not take moose poaching lightly.
of Fort St. James was sentenced in Fort St. James Provincial Court on July 14, 2009 after pleading guilty to four counts under the B.C. Provincial Wildlife Act.
The Vanderhoof conservation officer service received several tips from the public indicating that had harvested more than one moose during the 2007 hunting season.
was fined $1400 and also ordered to pay a penalty of $1300 to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. He was also prohibited from hunting anywhere in B.C. for seven years, including not being in the presence of others who are hunting. He was prohibited from possessing wildlife or firearms for the same time period.
Further, he received one year of probation during which he will complete 100 hours of community work, including the cleaning up of garbage and dump sites on Crown land throughout the Fort St. James and Vanderhoof areas.
Vanderhoof conservation officer Cam Hill is very pleased with the outcome of the case.

10-09-2009, 03:40 PM
That does seem like quite a small fine.

303Brit
10-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Tht does seem like a small fine! I do like the type of community work outlined, although I figure he should be good for at least 200hrs.

just my 303cents

theK.G.B
10-09-2009, 06:05 PM
why does our system only offer the time heals all approach. he is a re-offeneder and in no way responsible enought to hunt with in the regs. we hate bag limits and red tape. but we all respect the rules so we can be bitter about them for years to come. and aside from all that. he is a poacher, he doent follow the rules he'll just hunt unlawfully again.
i think a jail sentence would serve him better. perhaps four conts of animal cruelty, 4 counts of wrongful death. so on and so forth.......

boyd050
10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
why does our system only offer the time heals all approach. he is a re-offeneder and in no way responsible enought to hunt with in the regs. we hate bag limits and red tape. but we all respect the rules so we can be bitter about them for years to come. and aside from all that. he is a poacher, he doent follow the rules he'll just hunt unlawfully again.
i think a jail sentence would serve him better. perhaps four conts of animal cruelty, 4 counts of wrongful death. so on and so forth.......
hell , go watch a court near you..... even pedophiles aren't getting sentences they should be... we have what I call regressive sentencing, in a few years we'll be back to the "go sit in a corner and think about what you've done sentence" look what our G$%$ Damned senate did, they veto'd the bill to end 2 for 1 for remand time... putzs... so this sentence pisses us off??? write letters, become one of the doers, not the complainers, we canadians are sheeple..........

tomla1
10-09-2009, 07:52 PM
if it were up to me he would never hunt again, no possesion of firearms either. If he is going to poach he will do it with or without a hunting licence.

theK.G.B
10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
if it were up to me he would never hunt again, no possesion of firearms either. If he is going to poach he will do it with or without a hunting licence.
agreed!!! this person has no consideration for the law to begin with

markgb98
10-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I just got back from a drive and saw the person from the article out and about walking through a trail with a rifle, ::evil::evil: I used the 2-way in the truck and imidiatlt contackted the c.o hope they catch the *******

theK.G.B
10-16-2009, 05:50 AM
I just got back from a drive and saw the person from the article out and about walking through a trail with a rifle, ::evil::evil: I used the 2-way in the truck and immediately contacted the c.o hope they catch the *******
that guy is right out to lunch. be a damn shame is he step into a well placed leg hold trap. wooops! i meant doormat.

Bigbuckadams
10-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Absolutely pathetic, both the fine amounts & sentence. Was the reporter being serious when he/she wrote that the courts don't take moose poaching lightly?

FtStJames
11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Hrmmmmmmm I read that in the paper.

Jelvis
11-13-2009, 05:53 PM
That was then this is now, it's 2010 people,
the past two elk poachers paid around 10 to 15 grand an elk, judges are lowering the BOOM, on elk poachers -- in the Wallet -- last two I saw --
Deer is different about 200 loonies -- check www.askanything -- +++ __
Moose not sure --
Jel 1,000,000.00 lol

wolverine
11-13-2009, 06:15 PM
The only sentencing that stands a chance working is sentencing that is either cost prohibitive and enforcable(pay up or go to jail) on the offender or sentencing that is seen and felt to be repugnant by the offender. Short, sharpe sentencing is where it's at. Into the lock up and work your ass off for 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week and make it meaningful work like cleaning up the roadside dumps etc. Let your imagination run wild.

Jelvis
11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
It will come here eventually, the jail time for wildlife offences --
check www. to see a hunter in either yukon or nwt got 75 days in jail for shooting a moose out of season -- 75 daze - yah seventy five --
In Europe it's all private owned by top people, they will punish you good
As the economy causes more unemployed some will be a problem.
A few years back in Kamloops they gave welfare recipients permits to shoot moose around Kamloops. Thingz change and will keep evolving over time.
Time healz everything --
Jel -- Income assistance recipients got a free tag to get a moose in B.C. How duz dat make u feel ?

dougan
11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
he will mosts likley learn his lesson and that is the goal! 7 years of knowing your buddys out hunting while your picking up trash ! how old is he ? 100hours of shamefull work for a or 60 year old man is punishment for sure. i agree the fine would be better if it were 5000$ and another 5000$ for the conservation fund.

j270wsm
11-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I live in the East kootenays and will tell a true story that happened here last year.

It was about a week before the end of sheep season, and some of the foreman at greenhills(local coal mine) were doing their morning checks of the mine site. They came across an area that was littered with ravens and decided to look around, they drove into a field and found half a sheep lying in the open. You guess which half was missing.

They called the CO's and started to figure out what happened.

Here is what happened.

One of their employee'sdrove him self to work in his personal vehicle and brought his rifle to work, later he went and got the rifle and shot the ram, before he did it he went to the warehouse and got an Olfa knife, extra blades, garbage bags, rubber gloves and a 45gallon drum. Then he got a Contractor to help him skin out the ram and put the head and cape in the drum. The guy then stole his father-in-law's( F-I-L is a boss) security card giving him the ability to leave property, he then drove to his house and dropped off the drum, and returned to work and pretended that nothing happend, but the guy didnt realize that his neighbor( who is a boss at the same mine) was up getting ready for work and noticed him pull into the garage close the door, open the door and leave again.

A few days later the town was talking about the sheep that was found, in the mean time buddy had already shown the ram to a few people, and even asked a couple of guys to help hide it. It didnt take long and buddy got caught, then fired, and moved to Grand Prarie, AB.

He was supposed to go to court in sept but managed to get it pushed back to the begining of October. A couple of days after the court hearing I was told that ALL he got was a $6000, and lost his liscence and firearms for 5yrs. Supposedly the company(TECK COAL) is planing to lay seperate charges, Hopefully they push for the full extent of the law.

Just to let you know the Ram was to be officially scored sometime after court was over. The guy who did my comp inspecton on my moose does scoring for B&C and P&Y, he told me that he had seen the ram and figured that it was going to score atleast 195".

I dont know about the rest of you but I think anyone that poaches a trophy ram should have got the max fine - either $50,000 or 6months in jail or the higher fine of $100,000 or 2yrs in jail.

I wasnt sure if you guys had heard the story so I thought that I would tell it.

sapper
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
This is a story from my local paper. I have removed the name because it is erelivant. [sic]
Hmm, really?!!? :???:
It seems you didn't quite remove the name.

silvicon
11-13-2009, 07:58 PM
the guy got away cheap.
however, considering the damage the indians do one can argue that this
sentence is excessive.
we have different laws for different coloured people.
think about this for a minute or more!
IF i need a gun to get an animal, it is only a 5 minute drive to get a loaner.
prohibited or not!

000buck
11-13-2009, 08:05 PM
1hour per pound of illeagaly harvested game, preferably working in the forests picking up.... no catching steaming piles of fresh grizz shat before it hits the ground,