PDA

View Full Version : overdue koot elk report

trigger
10-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Let me start this thread by taking my cap off to all the succesful hunters this year. Elk are one of the smartest animals, and in my mind can be the hardest to hunt.

Having said that, here goes.

I returned from my elk hunt in the kootneys on sept 30th with an unfilled tag. I met up with hunter1947 as i always try to every year. Wayne was excited to have a partner to go after some of the many bulls that he had been spotting over the last couple weeks he had been there. I showed up on the 12th of sept. First things first was to set up camp.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/elk/IMG_1511.jpg
over the next few days we had spotted many elk in the distance, and then we would stratagize how we would go about getting close enough for a shot.
On day three wayne and i called out a beautiful bull. One wayne figured would go 320 or 330. I ranged the bull at 450 yards. I have been practicilong range shots and i was very confident in taking a shot like this, had the right shot presented it self. He only ever offered me a neck shot and at that distance i turned it down.
We hunted this bull for the next 2 days. I had the ultimate set up.
This was my chance. I walked in early in the afternoon, to find the bull (AKA dragon) bugling back and forth with another bull. Around 530 i could here the bull approaching tree line when a cow elk stepped out of the trees. It was all coming together. Dragon was hot on her heals. Just a few more yards and hes mine. Next thing i know. BOOOOOOOM ...................BOOOOOOOOOM...........
i look at what just happened. The cow elk is wabbling away. i had just witnessed someone poaching an elk. Wayne 300 yards behind me thinking i just got my bull of a life time. We both felt very empty over this. I saw the guys. Identified them as some guys we had talked to and headed out and called the COs. Next day we found the guy and he got what he deserved. Not enough in my mind. his 16 year old son was with him. Pretty sad.
Anyways i ended up seeing dragon a couple more times but he iluded me every time.
To make a long storey short, i had an awesome elk trip. saw over a hundred elk. wayne got some great footage. I met some great guys. it wont be the last time i get skunked.

so again to all of you that have been succesfl on ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK congrats.
heres some pics
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/elk/IMG_1515.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/elk/IMG_1521.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/elk/IMG_1519.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/elk/IMG_1518.jpg

Brambles
10-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Too bad about the asshats, nice pics of camp, is wayne still over there?

bigwhiteys
10-09-2009, 09:32 AM
That sucks you struck out... What happened to the idiots?

Carl

bighornbob
10-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Just curious, isn't there a junior/senior season for anterless in the area??

BHB

Steeleco
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Good for you for getting justice done for the Cow elk, too bad you didn't get the Dragon, but at least you had a good time with good company.

Just think, had you not been there the Asshats would have got away with it!!!

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 11:26 AM
One would have to know the exact location to determine if it was a legal cow elk area as per hunting synopsis and LEH synopsis.

bearass
10-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I know were Wayne hunts.There are no cow elk draws up that high.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Maybe next year he will be hunting in a new place, with a couple of younger men and no other hunters around;)

riflebuilder
10-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Under 18 could shoot a cow elk until the 20th of Sept. So if the kid shot the cow it was legal.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Under 18 could shoot a cow elk until the 20th of Sept. So if the kid shot the cow it was legal.

Are you certain of this? I'd suggest you go back and read carefully and in particular, pay attention to map D7.

rocksteady
10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
ONLY if under the 1100 metre line and I KNOW Wayne is way up the hill from that mark...

hillclimber
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
sounds like you guys had a good time none the less about the poachers. hope they really get whats coming to them.

Elkaddict
10-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Didn't fill your elk tag? Meh, ,like you say, probably won't be the last time. Just remember, that ANY day out elk hunting is better than just about any day anywhere else:biggrin::biggrin:. Glad to hear you had a great time, regardless of the outcome.

tmarschall
10-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear the report. I know you had a good time with wayne out there. Did he manage to bag anything?

trigger
10-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Too bad about the asshats, nice pics of camp, is wayne still over there?
yeah wayne was planning on staying till either the 10th or he had decided if he wanted to stay till the 20th

trigger
10-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Just curious, isn't there a junior/senior season for anterless in the area??

BHB

yeah you are right, there is. But its in zone X and its under 1100 m or feet elevation. and we were definetly over that i think we were 4400 feetat some points

trigger
10-10-2009, 09:05 AM
One would have to know the exact location to determine if it was a legal cow elk area as per hunting synopsis and LEH synopsis.
wayne is a walking book of synopsis

RiverBoatFantasy
10-10-2009, 09:10 AM
He should have a very good opportunity to bag a big one during this cold snap.

RBH
10-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Good story about good hunters. Love the camp.

trigger
10-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Wayne has earned his name in camp "DRILL SARGEANT"

Let me tell ya, he drives a tough team. waking ya up with a spoon banging on a pot. He frikken works so hard. When i showed up the first day i absolutely exerted myself trying to keep up.
Its frusterating when guys like him and I were pounding away in the hills , and guys were driving down the road and getting there animals.
I hope wayne gets a good bull. He deserves it.

rollingrock
10-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Its frusterating when guys like him and I were pounding away in the hills , and guys were driving down the road and getting there animals.
I hope wayne gets a good bull. He deserves it.

I hear you! That's the frustrating part right there! One snowy morning I was pulling my arse in foot deep snow pounding bush. I was on a track of buck. Saw him a couple of times, but never got a shot. Then the bugger snuck on the main logging road not far away and was shot right on the road by another lucky road hunter. By that time I was in that bush for approx an hour and a half thinking the buck was going to be pushed to an open area so that I could get a clear shot. :grin:

Next time.

hunter1947
11-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Scott I was going through some of the past posts that I had missed when I was away hunting ,and this post almost brought a tear to my eyes http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif.

Scott you are one of the best hunting partners a person could have and if we are in there next year the outcome for you might be different.

Thanks for the compliments ,your story was very nice and the best pic of all that you put up is my pal trigger http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

trigger
11-05-2009, 08:20 AM
thanks wayner,

I got trig dog all wrilled up after we talked on the phone yesterday he was going crazy looking for ya. lol

Next year my man.

Mik
11-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Sounds like a great trip with great company. Maybe next year the "dragon" will be yours.