PDA

View Full Version : Buddy with expired PAL wants to hunt?

BigSlapper
10-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Folks
I know this topic has been discussed to death over the years, however I'm unable to locate specific threads ... I would like help in understanding legalities & logistics around taking a buddy out hunting. His PAL has expired but he has his hunters number and would like to purchase a hunting license/tags.
1. Can he hunt legally?
2. Can he use one of my rifles under my supervision?
3. What constitutes "supervision"?
Anything you can throw at me would be much appreciated! (yup I know! - silly buggar for letting his PAL expire! ... he's on it though)
Thanks in advance for your sage thoughts/advice!

Bigslapper

Angel
10-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Folks
I know this topic has been discussed to death over the years, however I'm unable to locate specific threads ... I would like help in understanding legalities & logistics around taking a buddy out hunting. His PAL has expired but he has his hunters number and would like to purchase a hunting license/tags.
1. Can he hunt legally?
2. Can he use one of my rifles under my supervision?
3. What constitutes "supervision"?
Anything you can throw at me would be much appreciated! (yup I know! - silly buggar for letting his PAL expire! ... he's on it though)
Thanks in advance for your sage thoughts/advice!

Bigslapper

1. yes, with your supervision is you have a valid PAL.
2.yes.
3.Hunting together, you kind of need to baby sit him, thats the best way to put it.

quackquackbang
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
yes he can use your gun as long as you are with him and you have your pal!!

35 Whelen
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Sure he can hunt. He will borrow one of your registered firearms, and MUST be under your immediate supervision; which translates into arms length away from you. You must be able to immediately respond to a problem.

If he has sent in his PAL for renewal....just print off a copy of the page showing his application is in the queue and he is in waiting. If he is stopped, he can say his application is in the process, and he can produce his expired PAL. Most individuals I know in enforcement, would not take any action against him. More often than not , he will be asked for his hunting licence , than his PAL..in my experience. UNLESS of course he has been prohibited or had his lic suspended. Then you are talking a criminal offence.

Hope that helps.

Squamch
10-09-2009, 06:46 AM
I have another question pertaining to the subject.
I'm waiting for my PAL/RPAL to arrive, my rifles are registered to my dad right now. If I go into the bush with a friend who does have his PAL, under his direct supervision, etc....can I take "my" rifle that's registered to my dad, since he's "loaned it" to my friend?