PDA

View Full Version : Just curious??

eastkoot
10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Anyone one else notice when coming home from an evenings hunt as it's getting way to dark to count points let alone shoot, you pass vehicles just going into the hunting areas ??? What do these guys do in the dark ??? Passed 2 tonight @ 7:15 Koot time in a snow blizzard.. What the Heck?? Other than get plate number and look for gut pile in the morning..

KodiakHntr
10-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Lot of guys work night shift logging....

hillclimber
10-09-2009, 07:25 AM
do you know for sure the guys were hunters? like kodiakhntr said maybe they were working night shift logging. maybe they were going back to camp.

was the vehicle going slow, like road hunting, or was he going faster?

10-09-2009, 08:48 AM
As we headed out in late afternoon evenings to dark, local natives are just heading in. They love those 3 million candle power Costco lights, they are allowed to pit lamp don't forget. Some stupid judge doesn't understand the hazards of shooting in the dark ..... so they have the green light.

One example, last season near Merritt, 1 hour before dark, 6 vehicles with 3 to 6 people in each, just heading in for the evenings entertainment. They were for sure not loggers, what a challenge, blind it with the light and take out the entire group, cows, calves, bulls, bucks, does and fawns. It's all about management.

CT

burger
10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
As we headed out in late afternoon evenings to dark, local natives are just heading in. They love those 3 million candle power Costco lights, they are allowed to pit lamp don't forget. Some stupid judge doesn't understand the hazards of shooting in the dark ..... so they have the green light.

One example, last season near Merritt, 1 hour before dark, 6 vehicles with 3 to 6 people in each, just heading in for the evenings entertainment. They were for sure not loggers, what a challenge, blind it with the light and take out the entire group, cows, calves, bulls, bucks, does and fawns. It's all about management.

CT

You have first hand experience that this is what they do? The entire group? Do tell? I know they pit lamp but this is a pretty broad statement and does paint a poor picture. Just my .02 .

FLHTCUI
10-09-2009, 09:14 AM
:shock: someone made a statement and now the fallout begins...

Shooter
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Just yesterday morning I was heading in to my spot. My spot was a fair ways back and needed to go through some decent area to get to it but I had a spot in mind that I wanted to be at for first light, so I was blowing past the other areas in the dark when I came across a guy lighting slashes up. Now it was "legally" shooting light as it fell withing the 1 hour before sunrise. Actually it was almost exactly 1 hour before sunrise and it was pitch black with stars in the sky. He was driving slow and kept turning into the slashes so he could light them up with his high beams. I was saw him from a ways away and watched him do it a couple times and after I passed him I saw him turn and also scan the opposite side of the road a couple times. Whats your guys thoughts on that?

bigwhiteys
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
They love those 3 million candle power Costco lights, they are allowed to pit lamp don't forget. Some stupid judge doesn't understand the hazards of shooting in the dark

No they aren't allowed to just pit lamp... Only the Tsartlip band on Vancouver Island has this privilege.

Actually it was almost exactly 1 hour before sunrise and it was pitch black with stars in the sky. He was driving slow and kept turning into the slashes so he could light them up with his high beams.

An accomplished road hunter no doubt...! That's advanced road hunting strategery.

Carl

digger dogger
10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
what happend to the elk in the chilliwack valley? was that legal? and i think the only band to use a pitlamp "legally"' to kill, is the tswassen band.

bigwhiteys
10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
and i think the only band to use a pitlamp "legally"' to kill, is the tswassen band.

As far as I know it's only the Tsartlip band from the Island.

Carl

digger dogger
10-09-2009, 09:51 AM
you are probably right big w. i heard it was the twsassen band but i could have been misinformed. natives are supposed to follow the seasons in the regs and put in leh like everyone else.

Ciskman
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Wasnt sure if i should open this thread with a title like "Just Curious"!:lol:

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Anyone one else notice when coming home from an evenings hunt as it's getting way to dark to count points let alone shoot, you pass vehicles just going into the hunting areas ??? What do these guys do in the dark ??? Passed 2 tonight @ 7:15 Koot time in a snow blizzard.. What the Heck?? Other than get plate number and look for gut pile in the morning..

Are you some kind of backroad police? Could be many, many reasons and none of them are your business quite frankly.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Just yesterday morning I was heading in to my spot. My spot was a fair ways back and needed to go through some decent area to get to it but I had a spot in mind that I wanted to be at for first light, so I was blowing past the other areas in the dark when I came across a guy lighting slashes up. Now it was "legally" shooting light as it fell withing the 1 hour before sunrise. Actually it was almost exactly 1 hour before sunrise and it was pitch black with stars in the sky. He was driving slow and kept turning into the slashes so he could light them up with his high beams. I was saw him from a ways away and watched him do it a couple times and after I passed him I saw him turn and also scan the opposite side of the road a couple times. Whats your guys thoughts on that?

Perfectly normal road hunting technique.

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I was with eastkoot when we saw some of those night birds - definitely hunters, NOT loggers or camo-clad nighttime mushroom pickers.

It's completely illegal to "hunt" (includes "search for game") with the aid of any illuminating device, so those slash-scanners were breaking the law.

Those ba$tards are guilty on all counts.

By the way RBF, reporting poachers is EVERYONE'S business. Obviously you condone poaching, so you're just as bad as they are. If you and your buddies can get away with it, it isn't poaching eh?

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I was with eastkoot when we saw some of those night birds - definitely hunters, NOT loggers or camo-clad nighttime mushroom pickers.

It's completely illegal to "hunt" (includes "search for game") with the aid of any illuminating device, so those slash-scanners were breaking the law.

By the way RBF, reporting poachers is EVERYONE'S business. Obviously you condone poaching, so you're just as bad as they are. If you and your buddies can get away with it, it isn't poaching eh?

As Porky Pig would say, b bbb bbbb bushit. Nothing illegal about a person driving a vehicle in dark with headlights.

You put a P in RAPP. Pollution.

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
As Elmer Fudd would say, b bbb bbbb bushit. Nothing illegal about a person driving a vehicle in dark with headlights.

You put a P in RAPP. Pollution.

Wrong. It's illegal to hunt with the aid of illumination. Searching for game is hunting. Busted. Need batteries for your portable spotlight? On sale this week at Crappy Tire.

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2009, 09:03 PM
What about looking at game at dark with night vision binos? For the sake of viewing pleasure?

Got your gun with you? If so, illegal.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 09:14 PM
By driving slowly and pulling onto a road, a person is committing no crime. Perhaps he was looking for a good spot to park his truck and go for a walk.

Porky said it best.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 09:20 PM

No I dont. I just dont care much for your commentary about anything. You remind me of a yappy dog that needs a good boot everyday.

Moose72
10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Are you some kind of backroad police? Could be many, many reasons and none of them are your business quite frankly.Not goin in to set up a camp and do a couple days hunting in the areas???

RiverBoatFantasy
10-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Not goin in to set up a camp and do a couple days hunting in the areas???

I suppose that reason would only occur to real men that are not afraid of the dark.

Moose72
10-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I suppose that reason would only occur to real men that are not afraid of the dark.Possibly. Might see me in the Chetwynd area late in the night on the 21st. Just lookin for a place to camp. Not poachin.

sawmill
10-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Wasnt sure if i should open this thread with a title like "Just Curious"!:lol:

O.K ,Now THAT`S funny!Took me a second to get it but it`s early in the morning.:mrgreen:

Little Hawk
10-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Constructive dialog.... PLEASE!

RiverBoatFantasy
10-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Constructive dialog.... PLEASE!

I agree, so here goes:

It is not illegal to drive a truck in the dark with headlights illuminated on any forest service, public, or private road. It is a safe thing to do. It is also not illegal for that vehicle to contain an unloaded, unrestricted weapon of any kind. It is also not illegal for that vehicle to contain high power illumination devices.

mcrae
10-10-2009, 07:27 AM
I agree, so here goes:

It is not illegal to drive a truck in the dark with headlights illuminated on any forest service, public, or private road. It is a safe thing to do. It is also not illegal for that vehicle to contain an unloaded, unrestricted weapon of any kind.

Gotta agree with RBF on this. There could have been many reasons they were headed in. Maybe to set up camp, animal down in a crappy spot help coming in for retrieval, hunting a different area for the day headed back to camp,etc,etc...

I quite often arrive after dark in my areas to set up camp so I can be ready to go at first light. I don't think that makes me a poacher:biggrin:...

granpa's_303
10-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Pretty sure fair-chase doesn't include blasting a non-thinking beast while he is mesmerized by your headlights. Last year I was driving into a cut before sunrise, came around a corner and a big muley doe was staring at my headlights, I wanted to see how long she'd stare before she moved on (plus I didn't want to honk or make a lot of noise, I was planning on hunting near there) 8 full minutes 20 yards in front of me, before she bolted. Pretty sure that's an illegal kill, if hunting was that easy everyone would do it. That said, I always prefer to be ready and set to hunt during legal hunting hours which means getting to my destination before or after that. I too have seen guys I suspected of poaching, but I ain't no CO, so unless I caught someone in the act I'd mind my own business.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
In a couple of above posts I mistakenly quoted Elmer Fudd. It was Porky Pig. Correction has been made.

tootoowild
10-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I like the points ya made! You da man river!

BuriedByTheDead
10-11-2009, 12:58 AM
we hunt in Region 5 and weve seen guys go up the dirt road toke up and leave??? kinda lame but are you sure its not just something like that???

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2009, 04:01 AM
While I highly doubt this is what's going on...........it's not illegal to use a spotlight at night to locate game AS LONG AS THERE IS NO WEAPON IN THE VEHICLE.
Guys could be simply scouting for game focus on that area in the morning or evening.
Like I said...I doubt that this is what is going on.................:|

I know guys that have done this in the summer in an urban area. Cops were called and they were pulled over, vehicle was searched...no weapons found..and the officer was highly interested in what that had seen since he was also a hunter:smile:.

SSS

willy442
10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
While I highly doubt this is what's going on...........it's not illegal to use a spotlight at night to locate game AS LONG AS THERE IS NO WEAPON IN THE VEHICLE.
Guys could be simply scouting for game focus on that area in the morning or evening.
Like I said...I doubt that this is what is going on.................:|

I know guys that have done this in the summer in an urban area. Cops were called and they were pulled over, vehicle was searched...no weapons found..and the officer was highly interested in what that had seen since he was also a hunter:smile:.

SSS

Using a spotlight at night to view game falls under harrassing wildlife so don't get caught.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Using a spotlight at night to view game falls under harrassing wildlife so don't get caught.

So, have you heard of someone getting charged with this??

SSS

browningboy
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Back to the original thread, dude when I was going through Moberly Lake area it was about 11pm and there was the biggest hog of a mule on the side of the road, thought he was going to dart out front of me, but man what a hog, was at least a 190, wish I could have gotten pics!!
Always see buggers like that when not hunting!:-?

willy442
10-11-2009, 01:09 PM
So, have you heard of someone getting charged with this??

SSS

Yes more than one. Not an uncommon charge in the Northern Deer season.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-11-2009, 03:07 PM
The charge would be light.

yung buck
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Personally I dont have a problem with someone taking my plate # and reporting this behaviour to a CO if i was driving slowly at night in a slash....as said before, there are many reasons for doing this, and when the CO comes to check my camp out and see that I am doing nothing illegally, I would be GLAD to see that someone is keepin an eye out!

If you're not doing anything wrong, you got nothing to worry about!

muledeercrazy
10-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Personally I dont have a problem with someone taking my plate # and reporting this behaviour to a CO if i was driving slowly at night in a slash....as said before, there are many reasons for doing this, and when the CO comes to check my camp out and see that I am doing nothing illegally, I would be GLAD to see that someone is keepin an eye out!

I frequently drive slowly back to camp , beer in hand and gun in the back of the truck after a hard day from dusk till dawn hunting in the bush. I would be pissed right off if someone decided to call the co on me, its none of their business. I dont drive drunk, i just relax and swap notes with whoever is hunting with me, and drive slowly and relax on my way back to camp. In fact, i would take it as a personal attack on my character and probably write the guys liscense plate number down who i suspected had done this to me. Then i would look at getting even! I have also driven into my chosen hunting spot late at night and found it taken, only to have to try to pick another spot last minute. you guessed it, driving slowly at night with my truck lights on no less! Unless you see someone commiting an offense it is best to mind your own business.. Would you be glad to have the c.o.'s noteing your name and that you were suspected of poaching? Get a life, you obviously have very little hunting experience and no consideration! That said i am always happy to see the co, on the rare occasion they are around. I hunt hard, usually on foot, and am not a poacher. If you are ok with people randomly accusing you of poaching so be it, but dont let me catch you doing it to me!

PGK
10-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Many has been the time I have driven into hunting areas in the dark, the night before, to either get a jump on first light, or I got out of class @ 5:00pm and I'm going into setup camp for a couple days. We could make up scenarios all day long. Seeing a poacher behind the wheel of every pickup in the bush is really helping the hunting community :roll:

Paulyman
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM

I fail to understand which part of this is Harrasment to wildlife!

Gateholio
10-29-2009, 11:50 PM
I fail to understand which part of this is Harrasment to wildlife!

I'd say this falls under an "interpretation" of the law...Depends on what constitutes "harassing" wildlife.

It's an interesting question.

hotload
10-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Are you some kind of backroad police? Could be many, many reasons and none of them are your business quite frankly.

Every hunter needs to be as you put it "BACKROADS POLICE". I agree that there could be many, many, reasons to be in the bush at night, but, I totally DISAGREE that none of them are our business quite frankly. With an attitude like that, Let The Poaching Begin.

GumbyFromLumby
10-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Try calling a CO and telling him you seen people driving in the bush with their lights on. When he asks you if they were poaching and you say "I don't know". You are going to look real foolish. I don't think it's anyone business what someone is doing driving around at night unless you actually catch them poaching.

GoatGuy
10-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Seeing a poacher behind the wheel of every pickup in the bush is really helping the hunting community :roll:

I thought all hunters were beer drinking poachers that did nothing more than leaving a trail of empty beer cans on the roads?

Maybe it was another poster with the handle PGK that said that.

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2009, 05:41 AM
I frequently drive slowly back to camp , beer in hand and gun in the back of the truck after a hard day from dusk till dawn hunting in the bush. I would be pissed right off if someone decided to call the co on me, its none of their business. I dont drive drunk, i just relax and swap notes with whoever is hunting with me, and drive slowly and relax on my way back to camp. In fact, i would take it as a personal attack on my character and probably write the guys liscense plate number down who i suspected had done this to me. Then i would look at getting even! I have also driven into my chosen hunting spot late at night and found it taken, only to have to try to pick another spot last minute. you guessed it, driving slowly at night with my truck lights on no less! Unless you see someone commiting an offense it is best to mind your own business.. Would you be glad to have the c.o.'s noteing your name and that you were suspected of poaching? Get a life, you obviously have very little hunting experience and no consideration! That said i am always happy to see the co, on the rare occasion they are around. I hunt hard, usually on foot, and am not a poacher. If you are ok with people randomly accusing you of poaching so be it, but dont let me catch you doing it to me!

Drinking alcohol while driving is illegal.

Uttering threats, as you have just done, is a criminal code offence under S 264:

Uttering threats (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1)
264.1 (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1) (1) Every one commits an offence who, in any manner, knowingly utters, conveys or causes any person to receive a threat

(a) to cause death or bodily harm to any person;

(b) to burn, destroy or damage real or personal property; or

(c) to kill, poison or injure an animal or bird that is the property of any person.

Punishment (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1-ss:_2_)
(2) Every one who commits an offence under paragraph (1)(a) is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

Idem (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1-ss:_3_)
(3) Every one who commits an offence under paragraph (1)(b) or (c)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction

hunter1947
10-30-2009, 05:51 AM
It could be that there looking for deer ,just scouting the area out to see where the bucks are then they will go into the area the next day or so and hunt where they saw them at night http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif.

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2009, 06:00 AM
It could be that there looking for deer ,just scouting the area out to see where the bucks are then they will go into the area the next day or so and hunt where they saw them at night http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif.

And that is illegal, if they have guns in the truck. :smile:

hunter1947
10-30-2009, 06:06 AM
And that is illegal, if they have guns in the truck. :smile:

I say no ,if they have trigger locks on there guns and if it is a removable bolt and its out of the gun ,its the same thing as transporting your guns.

Many a times I travel back from my hunting area in the dark ,I have my rifle right beside me as for my partner ,bolt removed ..

I have never head of anyone getting charged when they are in the bush with guns present when they are traveling back to there hunting camp when it is early morning or latter in the evening when it is dark.

I all depends on how the hunter goes about it ,if you have a spot light make sure it is behind the seat and unusable.

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2009, 06:09 AM
If you're not searching for game, you're okay. But, if you are searching for game, it is defined as "hunting", and hunting after legal hunting times is illegal. :wink:

hunter1947
10-30-2009, 06:12 AM
If you're not searching for game, you're okay. But, if you are searching for game, it is defined as "hunting", and hunting after legal hunting times is illegal. :wink:

Tell me FD how would anyone know your searching for game ??? ,it would be hard to prove it in the courts.

muledeercrazy
11-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Drinking alcohol while driving is illegal.

Uttering threats, as you have just done, is a criminal code offence under S 264:

Uttering threats (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1)
264.1 (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1) (1) Every one commits an offence who, in any manner, knowingly utters, conveys or causes any person to receive a threat

(a) to cause death or bodily harm to any person;

(b) to burn, destroy or damage real or personal property; or

(c) to kill, poison or injure an animal or bird that is the property of any person.

Punishment (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1-ss:_2_)
(2) Every one who commits an offence under paragraph (1)(a) is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding eighteen months.

Idem (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:264_1-ss:_3_)
(3) Every one who commits an offence under paragraph (1)(b) or (c)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction

I was hoping the point was obvious enough. I have no intention of doing anything if someone wants report me for driving around on a logging road with my lights on at night! I thought it was important to consider that someone might be mad if they were offhandedly reported as a poacher.
I am not sure i undertand the point of your post.

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2009, 06:52 AM
I was hoping the point was obvious enough. I have no intention of doing anything if someone wants report me for driving around on a logging road with my lights on at night! I thought it was important to consider that someone might be mad if they were offhandedly reported as a poacher.
I am not sure i undertand the point of your post.

Should you threaten to "get even" with someone who has reported you, as you said in your post, you are uttering threats which is a Criminal Code offense. Clearer now?

Big Lew
11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree, so here goes:

It is not illegal to drive a truck in the dark with headlights illuminated on any forest service, public, or private road. It is a safe thing to do. It is also not illegal for that vehicle to contain an unloaded, unrestricted weapon of any kind. It is also not illegal for that vehicle to contain high power illumination devices.
One of the few times I was checked by CO's at a roadblock, I had a spotlight in my cab, and only because it was covered in dust and obviously not used recently, did I not get charged. The CO told us that it was illegal to have that light in our vehicle while in a hunting area.

Big Lew
11-03-2009, 10:21 AM

x2! regulations state "observe and report any suspicious activity"

leadpillproductions
11-03-2009, 10:23 AM

As for looking for animals with a light as long as there is no gun in the truck you can look for animals with a light . Ive had this talk with a co

Big Lew
11-03-2009, 10:25 AM

Good answer!

Gilmore
11-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Interestingly enough this is exactly how CO's and biologists have been counting deer in 2-11. Members of our local wildlife association were even invited to come for a ride-along to help with the counting. I guess they feel this sort of "harrasing" wasn't much harrasment after all.

Gateholio
11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
One of the few times I was checked by CO's at a roadblock, I had a spotlight in my cab, and only because it was covered in dust and obviously not used recently, did I not get charged. The CO told us that it was illegal to have that light in our vehicle while in a hunting area.

I'd have asked him exactly what law prohibits a hunter form carrying a flashlight in his truck...:tongue:

steel_ram
11-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Burns Lake area, a few weeks ago a late model Dodge P.U. with lights on the roof and a fellow standing up between them semi-concealing something. It was to dark, and the lights were too startling to get a plate #, but once we got a glance of the occupants, we realized we didn't need to waste the CO's time.

Apparently the indidgenous peoples historically used latterns to attract game at night. The spotlights, rifles and vehicles are just the natural evolution of the process. The legal precident has been set by the supreme courrt. Until someone get's killed, the argument that it is dangerous is just a theory.

steepNdeep
11-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Pull you head out! Hypothetically saying that you're going to get even in a hypothetical situation is not even close to uttering a threat... if you're gonna try to be a geek ya gotta at least be right... :lol:

kyleklassen
11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Burns Lake area, a few weeks ago a late model Dodge P.U. with lights on the roof and a fellow standing up between them semi-concealing something. It was to dark, and the lights were too startling to get a plate #, but once we got a glance of the occupants, we realized we didn't need to waste the CO's time.

Apparently the indidgenous peoples historically used latterns to attract game at night. The spotlights, rifles and vehicles are just the natural evolution of the process. The legal precident has been set by the supreme courrt. Until someone get's killed, the argument that it is dangerous is just a theory.somebody was killed years ago out at nitnat.

GoatGuy
11-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Pull you head out! Hypothetically saying that you're going to get even in a hypothetical situation is not even close to uttering a threat... if you're gonna try to be a geek ya gotta at least be right... :lol:

Why bother it's warm and comfortable in there. :mrgreen:

RiverBoatFantasy
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM

The CO was full of beans. A light can be used for many things while in a hunting area such as changing a tire in the dark or finding wounded/dead game.

muledeercrazy
11-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Should you threaten to "get even" with someone who has reported you, as you said in your post, you are uttering threats which is a Criminal Code offense. Clearer now?

So, in my hypothetical situation i could possibly (because i did not state clear intent) be breaking a law. get a life! if you knew me you would know i am not at all likely to do this. I think i tried to explain to you how my intention was to communicate the very real possibility of someone being justifiably upset when they were falsely reported. If you want to get out the dictionary and figure out the diferent ways my post could be interpreted thats fine with me, but it doesn't prove anythign except you are distracted easily and have a lack of perspective. For the record i do not look for or harass wildlife after sunset.I am not much of a road hunter. Sorry if my post offended you, I just think that if you are going to accuse someone of criminal activity you should have some proof! (i am refering to the thread not your wild accusations). So yes, maybe my post wasnt appropriate. I dont think you can argue that i don't have a valid point. Are their any laws relating to false reports and invalid accusations? That would be a more valid contribution to this thread i think!

muledeercrazy
11-03-2009, 02:11 PM

thanks! things get out of perspective to quick sometimes ..

Kody94
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
The CO was full of beans. A light can be used for many things while in a hunting area such as changing a tire in the dark or finding wounded/dead game.

I keep a 15 M candle power light for warming sandwiches.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I keep a 15 M candle power light for warming sandwiches.

You could probably check for broken bones with that light:tongue:

SSS

Islandeer
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Apparently the indidgenous peoples historically used latterns to attract game at night. The spotlights, rifles and vehicles are just the natural evolution of the process. The legal precident has been set by the supreme courrt. Until someone get's killed, the argument that it is dangerous is just a theory.

And isn't that the biggest scam and or crock of shiiiitttte you have ever been polluted with. No offence to our "other" natives, but I don'y know how they don't crack a gut at what THEY know they are getting away with.

Such utter BS. :evil:

Islandeer
11-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh yah, I have one of those light things in my truck box. Sometimes around the fire after a few cocktails we use it to stamp out furry critters that are foraging in our camp. I guess I am a scurvey pit lampin SOB after all. :-D

steepNdeep
11-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Why bother it's warm and comfortable in there. :mrgreen:

Familiar place? It's usually reserved for politicians... :wink:

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//04/0/040fc9d7e75634b4962633af0338dabd.jpg

killerkevin
11-03-2009, 06:27 PM
I like to get off work on friday and head out for weekend hunting trips and can be driving through the bush up till' midnight untill I find where I want to be once hunting hours begin!. Clearly many hunters do the same thing and I think it is unreasonable to think anyone is poaching just for heading into the bush at night. But if ya hear any gunshots then it's on!.

Most hunters are ethical and I think we do a good job with protecting our wildlife. Other than the FN spotlighting which not only is dangerous but inhumane and I hope it is stopped sooner than later.

Islandeer
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/206063-lg.jpg

Holy CRAP!!!! :confused::confused:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Looks like you edited too late, Dean!!!:mrgreen:.

I'm blind!!!:eek:

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2009, 10:19 PM
It's a West Kootenay spotting scope.

steepNdeep
11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm trying to get a halo like the one in your avi Brent... but I've got a long ways to go... :D

steepNdeep
11-03-2009, 10:26 PM
It's a West Kootenay spotting scope.

The bush is too thick in the WK for spotting scopes... all those hippy chicks. :tongue:

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2009, 10:29 PM
The bush is too thick in the WK for spotting scopes... all those hippy chicks. :tongue:

Good place to catch Krestovan Krabs.

steepNdeep
11-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Good place to catch Krestovan Krabs.

Better have some Kwellada dressing to go with those...:shock:

wolverine
11-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I'd have asked him exactly what law prohibits a hunter form carrying a flashlight in his truck...:tongue:

Yeah, I'd like to see that law too.... that's bullshit.:tongue:

husky30-06
11-04-2009, 12:11 AM
son of a beach!!!!!!!!!:eek: what the hell?????? this is crazy...... if(such is the kamloops area) there has been a lot of poaching or shooting of animals with automatic weapons. would you guys not like the SOB's caught?????? If I saw someone heading into an area at dark then take a look at the situation...... I would take a plate number and report it if there had been some animals taken over the the days surrounding. NO? it is our responsibility to assist the the preservation of our forest friends? or do we leave it to our overworked and understaffed CO's.

killerkevin
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
it is our responibility by all means. But it is plain stupid to automatically assume anyone heading into the bush at night is poaching.

Gilmore
11-04-2009, 08:45 AM
it is our responibility by all means. But it is plain stupid to automatically assume anyone heading into the bush at night is poaching.

X2

If you see someone driving on a road in the dark....wait a minute are you not doing the same thing, maybe you're the poacher?

GoatGuy
11-04-2009, 10:23 AM

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//04/0/040fc9d7e75634b4962633af0338dabd.jpg

Funny you mention that. I was just thinking about all the special people from smelterland.

steepNdeep
11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Funny you mention that. I was just thinking about all the special people from smelterland.

Yeah, the meathead per capita ratio almost rivals K-town.

GoatGuy
11-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah, the meathead per capita ratio almost rivals K-town.

almost....:wink:

killerkevin
11-04-2009, 12:37 PM
X2

If you see someone driving on a road in the dark....wait a minute are you not doing the same thing, maybe you're the poacher?
hahaha exactly!

steepNdeep
11-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Funny, originally I was going to say burueacrats too, but thought of Jesse and decided not to lump him in there... :wink:

husky30-06
11-04-2009, 08:04 PM
X2

not just driving on the road int he dark, the difference I guess at that point is that I would be heading out of the bush for home...... but very true and if a CO stopped me or swung by the house to ask questions..... I would be fine with that cuz I was doing nothing wrong!!!!!!

Gateholio
11-04-2009, 08:32 PM
not just driving on the road int he dark, the difference I guess at that point is that I would be heading out of the bush for home...... but very true and if a CO stopped me or swung by the house to ask questions..... I would be fine with that cuz I was doing nothing wrong!!!!!!

Maybe they are heading to camp.Maybe they are doing something totally legal..To simply suggest that because you think they are going the "wrong" way they are up to no good isn't the clearest of thinking.

GoatGuy
11-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Funny, originally I was going to say burueacrats too, but thought of Jesse and decided not to lump him in there... :wink:

How about the WK 'trophy hunters' who hunt up the bull river?

What do you call them?

hahahahaha

husky30-06
11-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Maybe they are heading to camp.Maybe they are doing something totally legal..To simply suggest that because you think they are going the "wrong" way they are up to no good isn't the clearest of thinking.

respectively you were missing the point.... keeping a log for info when i hear about a poach in the area on a given weekend.. This is not to say that I do... but I have been meaning to. You see me in the bush heading up the road after dark...bring it on... call me in at least that will get the CO's up into the area. who knows they might actually catch someone. we have had a very large problem with poaching in the kamloops area. what would you suggest be done????????

Gateholio
11-04-2009, 08:40 PM
respectively you were missing the point.... keeping a log for info when i hear about a poach in the area on a given weekend.. This is not to say that I do... but I have been meaning to. You see me in the bush heading up the road after dark...bring it on... call me in at least that will get the CO's up into the area. who knows they might actually catch someone. we have had a very large problem with poaching in the kamloops area. what would you suggest be done????????

I won't call a CO and waste his time because I saw someone driving down the same road I was on at night, but I woudl call in if I actually had useful information. Keeping a log isnt' a bad idea, but making a hassle for someone and wasting a COs time with no solid evidence isn't a viable solution.

husky30-06
11-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I won't call a CO and waste his time because I saw someone driving down the same road I was on at night, but I woudl call in if I actually had useful information. Keeping a log isnt' a bad idea, but making a hassle for someone and wasting a COs time with no solid evidence isn't a viable solution.

i have several friends who are in constant contact with the local CO.... i hear from him most of the poaching activities in my hunting areas. I would then and only then call the info in. I once was heading up to an area to go sledding in january.... we past this pickup truck, heading down, that had a cow moose in the back. we rushed to catch up to make sure that was infact what we saw. we never could catch up, so we called it in to the CO's. they were able to find the truck due to the reports of suspicious activities over the past months. It was a local first nations, who takes out his white friends to get them game meat..... sucks ass!!!!! true it is out of season and obvious to be a possible poacher. but the point is that I will only call it in if absolutly needed.

Gateholio
11-04-2009, 09:09 PM
i have several friends who are in constant contact with the local CO.... i hear from him most of the poaching activities in my hunting areas. I would then and only then call the info in. I once was heading up to an area to go sledding in january.... we past this pickup truck, heading down, that had a cow moose in the back. we rushed to catch up to make sure that was infact what we saw. we never could catch up, so we called it in to the CO's. they were able to find the truck due to the reports of suspicious activities over the past months. It was a local first nations, who takes out his white friends to get them game meat..... sucks ass!!!!! true it is out of season and obvious to be a possible poacher. but the point is that I will only call it in if absolutly needed.

That sounds like a decent use of resources.

husky30-06
11-04-2009, 09:43 PM
That sounds like a decent use of resources.

thanks I guess....

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2009, 09:53 PM

So do you also consider the work of Wilderness Watch volunteers, who patrol the bush and keep a log of vehicles that they pass on to the COs, a waste of resources? More than one poacher has been busted because of their diligence.

Gateholio
11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
So do you also consider the work of Wilderness Watch volunteers, who patrol the bush and keep a log of vehicles that they pass on to the COs, a waste of resources? More than one poacher has been busted because of their diligence.

Actually, if you read the post you quoted, I said "Keeping a log isnt' a bad idea"

I am pretty sure that WW volunteers arent' calling the CO's to investigate every vehicle they see in the bush, though.

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Actually, if you read the post you quoted, I said "Keeping a log isnt' a bad idea"

I am pretty sure that WW volunteers arent' calling the CO's to investigate every vehicle they see in the bush, though.

But you insinuated that husky was wasting the COs time without solid evidence.