PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Slashes

300WinMag
10-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I would like to hear some opinions/advice on hunting slashes, such as the following:
(1) how many years after logging occurs before slashes are productive;
(2) how many years after logging occurs are slashes productive before becoming overgrown;
(3) what trees, bushes, and shrubs grow in the most productive slashes;
(4) what has worked best for you when hunting slashes (i.e. covering as many as possible, finding slashes with lots of sign and sitting on them (almost like stand hunting), walking the treeline above slashing, hunting slashes on south facing slopes, etc.);
(5) what elevations are best at different times of the year; and
(6) are slashes located in heavily logged areas with lots of surrounding slashes more productive than more "isolated" slashes.

Big Lew
10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
#1--Deer, including large bucks, can be seen in new slashes that haven't even started to re-grow vegetation. I have taken several nice bucks with my bow from logging slashes with hardly any living vegetation.
Deer are curious and will snoop around anything new. If a new slash has numerous rumble piles not yet burned, check around these piles carefully, I have taken deer and moose by them as they allow you a great chance to sneak up close.
All sizes and sex are often seen by logging crews even around working equipment.
#2--If the slash has a lot of hills and ridges, it can be productive for 10-12 years.
#3--Depends on your area, but usually should have deciduous re-growth and shoots, fireweed, and water.
#4--Walking the treeline above and the sides. South facing slashes if the foliage is not burnt, otherwise, wherever foliage is still lush and green. If there is a water source well inside a un-logged area, hunt the edge closest at first light.
#5--Isolated slashes more likely have the larger bucks, especially if they are on a steep hillside and have their own water source. Many slashes close to-gether have more does and younger bucks. Larger bucks will most often be at the top, close to rough terrain or timbered ridges (escape routes.)
#6--Select logging slashes near swamps, especially up high are great places to find very large bucks early in the season.

GumbyFromLumby
10-08-2009, 11:01 PM
#1--Deer, including large bucks, can be seen in new slashes that haven't even started to re-grow vegetation. I have taken several nice bucks with my bow from logging slashes with hardly any living vegetation.
Deer are curious and will snoop around anything new. If a new slash has numerous rumble piles not yet burned, check around these piles carefully, I have taken deer and moose by them as they allow you a great chance to sneak up close.
All sizes and sex are often seen by logging crews even around working equipment.
#2--If the slash has a lot of hills and ridges, it can be productive for 10-12 years.
#3--Depends on your area, but usually should have deciduous re-growth and shoots, fireweed, and water.
#4--Walking the treeline above and the sides. South facing slashes if the foliage is not burnt, otherwise, wherever foliage is still lush and green. If there is a water source well inside a un-logged area, hunt the edge closest at first light.
#5--Isolated slashes more likely have the larger bucks, especially if they are on a steep hillside and have their own water source. Many slashes close to-gether have more does and younger bucks. Larger bucks will most often be at the top, close to rough terrain or timbered ridges (escape routes.)
#6--Select logging slashes near swamps, especially up high are great places to find very large bucks early in the season.

Thanks for the tips. I will try these.

todbartell
10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
biggest consideration - make sure it has many roads going through it, so you can travel them in motorized vehicles

Shooter
10-08-2009, 11:12 PM
another huge consideration IMO is what are you hunting? Blacktail? White tail? Muley?

sawmill
10-09-2009, 05:16 AM
I like brand new slashes,the game gets to eat the tops of freshly falled trees which they can`t reach otherwise.Most trees secrete a toxin into the lower branches as a defence against browsing but the tops are clean.

takla1
10-09-2009, 08:18 AM
best slashes are the newer ones,2-5 years with mixed pine and spruce replanted .I try to find one with water or creek flowing thru,these make great travel coridors and the accompaning swales help hide their movements.Have hunted one particular slash like that,creek running down center of cut,for last 10 years and just about every yr killed our moose in exactly same spot,some yrs droped two within yards of one another.if you find a slash like that with big timber up top spend some time there ,you will see game!!

300WinMag
10-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

sawmill
10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
What the hell are you doing on the computer,you should be out in a slash right now!