PDA

View Full Version : 7 day opening any bull area 6

bighorn
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
my 15 yr old daughter and her little friend got there hunting licences this spring.we put in for a leh for moose but got squat.
so were going up for the any bull opening.
i've never hunted moose past the rut,so i'm looking for some pointers on hunting these moose after the rut.me and my two little partners are not lazy,and we have a quad a powersaw and about 2500 ft of rope and there excited.
i don't want your hotspot,mind you if you told me i promise not to repeat it.i would just like some pointers on what they like and what they do after the rut
thanx

tinhorse
10-08-2009, 03:32 PM
hunt blocks that provide good food and cover. The newer blocks sometimes produce but it seems like after the rut the bulls like a bit of cover so blocks 5+ years old with some varying terrain and gullies/rolling hills. The drivinng method is always good as well to cover lots of ground and look to see if you can find fresh tracks. Do lots of glassing and if there is no snow look to some higher areas. I like the area around babine lake out of burns lake. Grizzly FSR and many others around there. Lots of moose and some mule/white tail deer. Good luck

ElliotMoose
10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree, hunt the cut blocks that are a bit aged. These will be recognizable by the fireweeds and grasses that will be over a foot high now. This makes for excellent feed for these animals. When you first enter a cut block, glass the edges closer to the timber as this is where these animals will usually be, providing a quick escape if a predator were to come (such as you). The more ground you cover, the better!

Chris

plumbob
10-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Try to get out around the barge on babine and above the north road area as that has been good up there.Be prepared for busy as we get lots of people thinking the same way when no LEH comes through.Good luck

mxracer328
10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
yup, hunt cut blocks, send me a pm and ill let you know where its pretty active

bighorn
10-08-2009, 06:10 PM
thanx you guys all and any help is appreciated

bighorn
10-09-2009, 11:31 AM
thanx for the pm's you guys, much appreciated,every little bit helps.i was thinking on going in to area 6 from fort st james,over to babine lake then up the right side and just keep heading north,what do you think?don't know for sure though,still checking out my maps.

Bowtime
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
The east side of babine lake is good. Not as much pressure throughout the year. But No matter where you go you will be much more successful if you walk!!

30-06
10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
nice little camp spot right between Borel/Anzuz Lakes. If You Head Up Just Outside Of Fraser Lake And Go Along Francois Lake. Then You Can Hunt Both Region 7 (immy/calf/any buck/youth doe i believe) and Any Bull. We Usually Do That Trip And Cabin In That Spot. But Got LEH for 7-23a (Didnt See A Thing But A Caribou and A Bunch Of Grizzlys)

markgb98
10-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Leaving from the Fort are you going up the cunningham and across to babine?. We went that way last year and got a nice bull opening day It was on the 20th of oct I was still able to call him in. get's busy up that way but tons of roads to hunt and lot's of fresh or year old blocks. you might even get lucky and see the white moose ppl have been seeing out there. Good luck on your hunt if I don't fill my tag this weekend I'll be out there somewhere