PDA

View Full Version : Ek Cougar

Elkaholic
01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
My first cougar shot in the East Kootenays. 15 4/16 score.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1861&cat=500

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1862&cat=500

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1863&cat=500

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1864&cat=500

Thunderstix
01-05-2006, 04:34 PM
That is awesome! I would love to chase one of those babies down! Give us some details to accompany the great pics.

lip_ripper00
01-05-2006, 04:53 PM
that is so cool, beautiful animal:mrgreen:

Elkhound
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
That is awesome! I would love to chase one of those babies down! Give us some details to accompany the great pics.

I'm with Thunderstix on this one........details man

NEEHAMA
01-05-2006, 05:04 PM
i'm afraid of those things! holy shites! it's huge!!
are those things really out there?
i really have to stay out of the forest! i'm a road hunter for sure!

bsa30-06
01-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Great looking cat, i'm with neehama those things scare me.How do they score a cougar?

Jetboater
01-05-2006, 05:14 PM
they score the cat by the streak in your shorts when the cat trees and hisses at you apparently elkaholic has a good one.
Nice cat Elkaholic.

BlacktailStalker
01-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Nice cat! You have your own hounds ?

Thunderstix
01-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Great looking cat, i'm with neehama those things scare me.How do they score a cougar?
Skull just like a bear.

tomigunz
01-05-2006, 05:17 PM
i've been wanting to hunt cats for a while whats the secret to gettin a cat that size! Are u using dogs??

Johnnybear
01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
That's an awesome cat. I see a full body mount coming. Nice job.

houndogger
01-05-2006, 06:26 PM
What a beauty!:shock:

CanAm500
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Nice kitty!!!

black 'n blue
01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Nice cat!! I'm jealous......

Nait Hadya
01-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Wow, that's a great cat :biggrin: Well Done!

elkster
01-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Now that's what I call a cougar!!!:eek:

CHilko21
01-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Wow, that's a beauty of a cat:eek: . I'm hoping to go after one this winter myself, out behind Dugan Lake. I do a lot of riding out that way, and I ended up getting downwind of one and having my horse flip out. This is a gutsy horse, he'll chase black bears just like they're cows, he's pretty hard to scare, and he was just shaking. Cougars are scary critters, gorgeous though. Hopefully I can find one of the ones out Dugan way, get myself a nice trophy and rid myself of a potential problem when I'm out riding. Congratulations again on the gorgeous cougar:grin: .

Gus
01-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Real nice cat. Beautiful. I'd love to try to get one of them one day. You got to tell us about the hunt.

Elkaholic
01-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Yes there is a full body mount coming. Well the story starts on Dec 5. When my father in law treed this cat, and knew it was a keeper. At that was 2 days before I was able to go out, so I was pumped. So the first weekend after this we go out, we find the big guys tracks but 2 days old, so thats no good. But we do find another tom track to run so we do. We ended up treeing a small tom on a steep rock face and got some good video. The following weekend, we head out and the conditions had been just deteriorating, the snow was like sand. We check one area and nothing, we go to another area and hit paydirt, tracks every where including the big guy but again 2 days behind him. So we run the fresh ones. 10 minutes later the dogs are treed 50 yards off of the road. So we walk in, and we had a female with 3 kittens. What a sight to see, took tons of video and left them in peace. During the week we got a skiff so we head out. Find 2 tracks, run the high one, catch the cougar in 20 mins, a fairly nice tom in his own right, but not the one we want to shoot. We figured since that run was so fast we would go run the other one. Get down there and set out. 30 mins later the dogs burst back out to the start and go down hill towards a farmers feild. So we race down there, and the dogs had jumped the cougar and were tearing accross the feild. They go up the mountain and over a ridge and deep behind the feild where its a 2hr walk or see if we get permission to go on farmers road. He lets us go through, what a nice guy, and his road went damn near to the tree! We get up there, fat bellied female, jumped her off of a kill. Get some more video and pics and pack up and leave. Then for the next 4 days we get rain and no snow. Then we get our dump of snow on the night of the 30th, so 31st is our day we hope. My father in law heads out at 12pm as there was some people who found out we were after this one and were trying to beat us to it. So I get the call at 530 to suit up, so I get up call my brother and tell him lets go. We get out there and I cant beleive it when I see the track, not 1 snow flake in it. We set out the dogs and wait. 2 hrs go by and havent heard a peep from a dog. So we figured they ran outta the country, so we go over to the other side of the mountain and can hear them treeing like buggers, So im pumped. We go up as far as we can with vehicles and start walking. About 30 mins later we are at the tree, and there he is about 30 feet up sitting on a branch giving me a perfect heart shot. After tieing up the dogs and taking all the prep. cautions, I get ready to shoot. Cameras are ready as I shoot him, right in the heart and up he goes 10 more feet, then here he comes crashing down. Once hes on the ground hes bigger than I thought and im excited as hell. So now its time for the dogs to get their chew and all the pics and thanks to happen. This will probably be one of the only cougars I ever shoot, the rest I will shoot with my camera and enjoy their beuty. And thats my long story LOL.

Thunderstix
01-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Great story man! Now that is the kind of video footage that we would all love to see.

Gus
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a hell of a time. I got to try that some time. What type a gun do you use for that?

CanAm500
01-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Awesome story!!!Yeah, itd be pretty awesome to see a good couger hunt on video (like yours).

lip_ripper00
01-05-2006, 10:45 PM
thanks for the read!!It is nice when it all comes together. One day I would like to chase a cat. 2 THUMBS UP Steve

beeker
01-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I dont know a whole lot about cougars, but that appears to be a beautiful cat. I commend you on the patience you exhibited on passing up all of the previous cats, all the while keeping your eye on the big prize. Congratulations on a superb trophy.

Beeker

mainland hunter
01-06-2006, 11:44 AM
im hoping to get out for cougars soon for the first time. what'd you shoot him with?

Farmer
01-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Nice cougar and story. Good job.

Marc
01-06-2006, 11:52 AM
If you're treeing them you dont need a big calibre or powerfull rifle. A 243 win, 30-30 or a 44 mag . you dont want something to explosive that will blow a big hole in him at 10-25 yards.

johnes50
01-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Wow, that cats pretty big!!! Enjoyed the story too! You seem to have a LOT of cats up your way. When do we get to see the videos?

Johnnybear
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Awesome story. What an eventfull week. I had no idea that many cougars could be in one area. That story is as good as the old cougar hunting books on the Island (The Dewar family lived 1/4 mile from my shop).

houndogger
01-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Nice little Marlin 30/30 is all that is needed. Nice and short for running through the bush. Open sites. Great story, glad to here you ain't killing them all.

Elkaholic
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
There isnt alot of cougars around this area, or not as much as people say there is. The bigger % of hounders around here will shoot every cat they tree. While my father in-law and his family, they are pretty well known in the area, The Faiers's, most ppl prononce it ferris, they are 3rd gen hunters around this area and have a real good grasp on the population and say that this year there starting to rebound and have a healthy population once again.

elkmaster
01-06-2006, 08:52 PM
That's a great tom, when you find that big track then finally see a tom of this size in the tree its great.
I have hunted cats for over 30 years and have only come across a couple of toms that large in that time in the Elk Valley, when you harvest a cat around 200lbs and has a big pumkin, its the holly grail of cat hunting, again congradulations and the luck is on your side, make sure you buy some lottery tickets!

Clint_S
01-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Nice
Sounds like you had some good action and a nice tom at the end of it all. :-D

Iron-Head
01-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Congrats on the lion cant wait till i get one of them:rolleyes: :grin: