PDA

View Full Version : Found a dead horse on side of FSR -- should I do anything about it?

brotherjack
10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
So, last night after work, I had a little over an hour before sundown, so I hit a spot just down the road from my house and went for a little hike. I made a long loop off into the bush, coming back out about 15 till last light on the back end of a clear cut that you can't seen most of from the road. Nothing in the cut, and hadn't seen or heard anything move all night, so I slipped back into the treeline and made my way back towards the road.

As I was about 50 yards from the road in the mostly gone light, I notice a big funny looking white rock off by the edge of the trees, about 30 yards from the edge of the road. What the heck? I don't remember there being a rock there... Bino's up -- and it's a dead horse; white in color with a few dark-ish spots; dead long enough be all bloated up. I walked close enough to get a better look, and there's tire tracks coming/going from the spot -- making me think someone dumped it there (but it's a good spot to turn around at, so it could have just been guys turning around there, too).

Anyway -- is that something I should just chalk up to another unexpected thing I've seen in the bush, or should I call that in to the RAPP line? Or maybe just the RCMP? I dunno....

Thanks,

RiverBoatFantasy
10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
No sense beating on a dead horse.

Hahaha. Call in the RCMP. That would be funny to watch the complete waste of resources deployed for a dead pony.

I'd sit there and hunt bear, coyotes, or wolves.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to thin out some yoties. Go set up a blind before the stink gets too bad.:-)

SSS

ElliotMoose
10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I would definately recommend calling the RAPP line or even the local conservation officer. Might provide some farmer with closure in the odd chance that he doesnt already know. Takes about 2 minutes and could never hurt! Also if it is that close to the road they will come pick it up, ridding us of the disease hazards that come with the carcass bugs!

Chris

takla1
10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
funny we came across a dead horse as well last week in 5-2.set up camp and that evening the wind changed and what a stink!turns out we set camp not more than 100 yards away from the carcass!talked tho the farmer the next day and he was pissed,the nabour he fueds with brought thier touble horse along his fence line and shot it there!just in time for the farmer to be out gathering his cow/calfs!

Spampy
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
The CO might be helpfull.
RCMP? Not likely unless the CO wants them.

brotherjack
10-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, I called it in. The guy said, basically, yeah, the was possibly a violation if someone dumped it there -- but unless they could prove it was dumped there (and who dumped it), then there wasn't a whole lot that they could do about it, and given that they have bigger fish to fry (and a rather small budget with which to fry them), they were going to let it pass.

So, my conscience is clean, and I know where to go shoot some 'yotes real-soon-now, if I get so inclined.. :)

2slow
10-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I have seen an instance of a horse being dumped on the fsr when it has been hit by a car on the main highway. This could have been the same kind of deal especially if it is close to a reserve area as they seem to let their horses run a bit wild in some areas.

BlacktailStalker
10-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Horses die all the time.
I saw remnants of guides pack horses this year.

Angel
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
never hurts to call it in.

Jimsue
10-08-2009, 01:25 PM
....and so the cowboy says " ok ok lady its your moose, but can I have the saddle "

J_T
10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
When we own animals we should have the compassion to put them out of their missery. Ourselves! A number of years ago, I had a buddy that had to put his horse down, we treated it well, took it out into the bush, brushed it down, shed some tears and left it with a bullet between the eyes. If someone had walked upon that, what would they have thought. Perhaps this is the same situation. Maybe not the best location. But I'm not sure the RCMP need to be brought in.

brotherjack
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Maybe not the best location.

Yeah, no kidding -- it's just a few yards off the road, in plain view, about 2 1/2 klicks up one of the most heavily hunted roads in the Cranbrook area...

I didn't call the RCMP, but I did call the RAPP line (see above).

I guess the only concern here that's not addressed, is if it was someone's horse that turned up missing (ie: stolen) recently or somesuch..

Steeleco
10-08-2009, 02:20 PM
BroJack, are there cattle in the area? Reason I ask, is we too found a horse a few years back in similar circumstances. This one had a broken leg and a hole in it's head. We suspected the ranchers had to put it down because of the leg. Maybe something similar happened to this pony??

wolverine
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to thin out some yoties. Go set up a blind before the stink gets too bad.:-)

SSS
Damn. Exactly what I was thinking. Beat me to it. Just make sure that as that sucker bloats that you don't stick a round in it or your in for a stink fest like none other.... mind you .... might just bring in more yotes.!!!!

wolverine
10-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, I called it in. The guy said, basically, yeah, the was possibly a violation if someone dumped it there -- but unless they could prove it was dumped there (and who dumped it), then there wasn't a whole lot that they could do about it, and given that they have bigger fish to fry (and a rather small budget with which to fry them), they were going to let it pass.

So, my conscience is clean, and I know where to go shoot some 'yotes real-soon-now, if I get so inclined.. :)

See, they needed to bring in Horatio Caine.... he would stick his fingers up it's arse and be able to tell you by the smell who killed it, time of death, who owns it, do a DNA profile on the spot, print the hooves for a CODIS match and tell if the killer was going to strike again... damn he's sooo good! :)

Ltbullken
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Quite honestly, who cares? If it was feral, an invasive, damaging, competitive species, that shouldn't be there in the first place, is removed from the ecosystem. If someone dumped it, that's probably not the best place, but is it really causing a problem? Scavengers will get a meal... Is there a herd in that area? Is there a feral herd in that area?

aletheuo
10-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Too much other press on this kind of thing and doesn't go any good. It might even be legal to dump a horse carcass and much cheaper than having a vet take care of it for you. Plus it's very environmentally friendly. God's recycling. If you just get a backhoe and burry the thing all the meat goes to into the ground rather than feeding the furry critters.

In the old days it was seen as the perfect opportunity to have some bait. As previously stated, take the opportunity to try out the wizzm on some yotes when you see 'em.

brotherjack
10-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Is there a herd in that area? Is there a feral herd in that area?

No, I have never seen a horse in the area that didn't have a saddle and rider on it (and I have spent a LOT of time in that area over the last 8 years).

Krico
10-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Just grab some KY and make sure nobodies lookin

browningboy
10-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Did you cut the back straps off?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I think you should have shoved two sticks in its ears, taken a picture posing with it and said that you shot your first immie in the Koots!!:lol:

SSS

landphil
10-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I think you should have shoved two sticks in its ears, taken a picture posing with it and said that you shot your first immie in the Koots!!:lol:

SSS

If white moose are rare, how rare is a white immy moose? Is it legal to shoot an albino moose? They might be "spirit moose" or something :p

deerslyr
10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
when i worked on the old bc rail in lone butte one winter a guys horse got hit by a northbound train. then a southbound engineer gets on the radio and says i think i just killed his dog too.
How's that for a bad day. NB freight kills your horse, SB freight kills your dog that was on the track eating your dead horse.
Nasty mess we had to clean up.

1/2 slam
10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Flog it.....................:biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2009, 08:38 PM
It wasn't a horse, it was a 6 point bull elk sleeping beside the road. BJ hasn't seen one for so long, he thought it must be a palomino.

Ruger4
10-10-2009, 07:38 AM
It's not a rancher or a responsible horse owner. We have more respect and pride in our stock than to leave them on the side of a road. If we knowingly have to dispatch a horse it usually goes 6 ft under. If it happens ( and it has ) on the range , on a trail , on a hunt , then they are left as mentioned to feed the other wildlife, but no chance would it be left on the side of a road. That said you made the right call in reporting it.