PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bull Moose down in peak of rut

tomahawk
10-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Just got home from our moose LEH, I had been lucky enough to draw 2 bull moose shared hunt with my son, bro and buddy. My bro and I headed up first to set up camp and cut access to the old logged area that we had expected to hunt. This old area has produced 26 LEH bull moose kills for us since 1981. After setting up camp and loading our cutting gear on the quads we had high hopes of making good progress in cutting the old trails back into this area which is several KM's from any vehicle or quad access. However it didn't take us long for us to realize that the old area is beyond hunting anymore, it is just too heavy with under growth, this was a sad realization for me especiallly but after a few hrs of feeling bad about it we decided to find something new. So we jumped into the truck and headed back for camp. As we rounded the first curve in the main road this bull was standing on the road and didn't want to get off as he was rut crazed, so my bro helped make up his mind for him and one well placed shot later he was dead in his tracks. The first ever moose taken on a road in over 40 yrs of hunting for me. Easy to clean and retrieve but lacking in challenge or excitement. I'll take a bush kill any day!!
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09002-1-1.jpg

We got it back to camp and the rain started so we strung a tarp and skinned and quartered it and then hit the warmth of the tent for some r&r and a few brews.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09008-1.jpg

Next day my son and buddy arrived and we told them that we had to try different area's to hunt. For the next several days we explored the surrounding terrain with the help of aerial photos I have from 1984 we found some great swamps and meadows hidden in the bush away from vehicle traffic. We decided to concentrate on these hidden gems for our success. We found rut beds
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09041-1.jpg

and despite the FULL MOON

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09050-1.jpg

we had close to 30 bulls answering and coming our way in the 7 days we hunted. We had them fighting close by with crashing antlers and huge loud grunting wars and some that just let out one grunt and never were heard again. The second day we had the meat hanging in camp we noticed that the hides and head were gone, then the next day some of the meat was torn at and the trees the meat hung from were scared with 1\4 " deep slashes. We set up a sting and found a wolverine was the culprit. It was full grown and about 50 lbs or more and not willing to share what it believed was its meat cash. He did get the back straps of one hind and several lbs of various other cuts.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09037-1.jpg

So we took the meat into a cooler and proceeded to continue hunting. On day 6 my buddy called in and tagged this 2 point which dropped in the middle of the swamp.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09023-1.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09024-1.jpg
He went out into the water with a rope in his hand and I held the other end, when he found out that the moose was floating and not stuck on the bottom he lassoed the antlers and I winched it with the quad up the banks and loaded it on the quads for removal to camp.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Moose09031-1.jpg

We got it skinned and into the cooler before the wolverine could get any part of this guy. That gave us about 800 lbs of dressed meat and ended our hunt despite still having an LEH for another big bull. No sense taking more than we can use in the coming year, especially if we score on my buddies Bison LEH in Nov.

Great hunt, good meat and best of all awesome company with good companionship and lots of laughs. Lots of steaks, roasts and burger!!

quackquackbang
10-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Awsome story and nice pics!!!8)

irishbandit1
10-07-2009, 09:30 PM
WooHoo,way to go guys.My partner and I also scored on our leh moose hunts this year.Great to have a full freezer of moose:wink:Congrats,Steve.

bigwhiteys
10-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Sounds like a fun hunt...!

That gave us about 800 lbs of dressed meat and ended our hunt despite still having an LEH for another big bull. No sense taking more than we can use in the coming year

That shows class and an appreciation for the resource... Good on you!

Carl

budismyhorse
10-07-2009, 09:39 PM
great photos of the quarters hanging! awesome job.

kgs
10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
sweet pics and congrats

killman
10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Congrats on the Moose guy's!

blackbart
10-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Good on you for knowing your limit and playing within it!. Wishing that more of us could follow in your footsteps when it comes to restraint.

Have fun on the bison hunt. The moose will seem small once you have the pleasure of dealing with one of those beasts.

PGK
10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for leaving one out there Tom! Real class! Mind if I ask what unit you were in?

burger
10-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a fun hunt...!

That shows class and an appreciation for the resource... Good on you!

Carl

Exactley what I was going to say. Awesome to read that line. Made my night. Only 7 more sleeps for me.

ElliotMoose
10-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Yes where abouts is this region? 30 bulls ive never heard of this before haha
seen about 5 dandies this weekend though ;)

bridger
10-08-2009, 03:29 AM
congrats on a great hunt always nice to read stories where guys appreciate our hunting opportunites. thanks for sharing

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks for leaving one out there Tom! Real class! Mind if I ask what unit you were in?

No problem PGK, we were in 7-7, the only place I've moose hunted since 1981.

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Yes where abouts is this region? 30 bulls ive never heard of this before haha
seen about 5 dandies this weekend though ;)

7-7, they are rutting hard right now!

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Good on you for knowing your limit and playing within it!. Wishing that more of us could follow in your footsteps when it comes to restraint.

Have fun on the bison hunt. The moose will seem small once you have the pleasure of dealing with one of those beasts.

Thanks Blackbart, this is actually our 4th Bison draw in the last 12 yrs, hopefully we can find a 2-3 yr old bull for some great steaks, roasts and burger!

4pointer
10-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Congrats on the moose and nice pics! My group is heading up next week, i hope we are as lucky!

browningboy
10-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Way to go Tom, were you having fun on the beaver-bear rd? We used to hunt up there in the 90's and it was great, we had a nice slash called cub road, anyhow congrats bud.

ELKOHOLICBC
10-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Congrats on a great hunt. Thanks for sharing the story. Thats too bad about your old hunting area, but it sounds like your in a great all around moose spot anyways. Gotta love those ones that end up in the water.

nano
10-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Congrats nice bulls !!!

Little Hawk
10-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Great story Tom and thanks for posting it.
Funny how both of your moose were at opposite ends of the 'difficulty of harvest' spectrum; one on the road... the other in the drink! Ha ha! Way funny! Did you get any pics of the little bugger?

I was surprised to see your meat hanging so close to the ground and then not surprised to hear something was at it. No disrespect intended here.

About 5 yrs ago we had 3-deer hanging in camp (on the ground as your moose was) and the same chocolate griz that buddy and I bumped into on a mountain about a mile above our camp - who was then, as it turned out, on the scent-trail and making a bee-line for our camp - promptly relieved us of the largest muley we had hanging.

The irony of it all was, three days earlier when my buddies' cousin - a local guy from Lumby (our guide) - was skinning and hanging the same deer, I asked him (politely as I could) why he'd left the deer hanging so close to the ground?

He looked me in the eye and said with great confidence, "I've been huntin' these mountains for 25/yrs and NEVER had a problem with bears."

RiverBoatFantasy
10-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Great hunt. Happy to see your success. I learned so much about restraint and how not to hang meat from the armchair experts.

CooperSscat
10-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for sharing your successful moose hunt!

Too bad you didn't have a trail cam watching your dressed meat.

Jeremy

kennyj
10-08-2009, 08:08 AM
That was a great story and photos.sounds like you found some new hot spots.
kenny

jrjonesy
10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Great story and pics. Thanks for posting.

Congrats on the Moose!

huntcoop
10-08-2009, 08:17 AM
tomahawk, what happened to the wolverine? Is he alive to steal another day?

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Great story Tom and thanks for posting it.
Funny how both of your moose were at opposite ends of the 'difficulty of harvest' spectrum; one on the road... the other in the drink! Ha ha! Way funny! Did you get any pics of the little bugger?

I was surprised to see your meat hanging so close to the ground and then not surprised to hear something was at it. No disrespect intended here.

Hey Terry
They were totally opposite as to excitement as well, I'll take the swamp kill anyday, way more fun and I appreciate the meat way more!! Didn't get any other pictures of the 2 point other than one with his head buried in the edge of the swamp as I winched him out of the water.

The meat was hanging so close to the ground in the picture so we could skin and quarter it. Right after we had it dressed we raised the pole to about 20ft high and up went the meat so no animals(we were thinking bear though) couldn't reach it from the ground but, however that didn't stop the wolverine from finding it.

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
tomahawk, what happened to the wolverine? Is he alive to steal another day?

Hey HC, we didn't want to dispatch the critter unless he got testy with us, which he did twice. My bro was headed out for his morning constitutional in the dark and it growled at him and his toilet paper from about 30ft!! My bro hit the trail running and we went after him when it got light out. The other time he came to within 10 ft of the tent and ripped the antlers out of a tree but once he realized there wasn't much meat he left them on the ground. He's still kickin, season isn't open till mid Oct.

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Way to go Tom, were you having fun on the beaver-bear rd? We used to hunt up there in the 90's and it was great, we had a nice slash called cub road, anyhow congrats bud.

Thanks, I have hunted in that area many moons ago but this is not it.

BlacktailStalker
10-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Kudos for recognizing you cant eat more than you were entitled to.
Looks like some good eats, too bad you couldnt poke the wolverine.
Gotta love floating moose, is natures way of helping hunters :biggrin:

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Kudos for recognizing you cant eat more than you were entitled to.
Looks like some good eats, too bad you couldnt poke the wolverine.
Gotta love floating moose, is natures way of helping hunters :biggrin:

Hey Andy, we actually could have taken another LEH bull (cause the second one was a 2 point), both my bro and I are retired so we could have stayed till we got one (which would have been not too hard as they were rutting crazy) but enough meat is enough meat no matter how you say it. We both have taken many moose so its not an ego thing anymore, its what we can use that counts.

We did fire off 2 rounds on seperate times at the wolverine but it did nothing to scare him off.

Thanks goodness for floating moose, plus the cold water really cooled the carcass down fast.