PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years of Waiting- My 1st 4 point!

Cyrus
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I enjoy reading all the hunting stories and seeing the pics of the game you guys get so I will add mine.....

I travelled north from Kamloops to my fathers and headed out Friday in Region 5 trying to get that elusive buck. Left the house a little later than I wanted to as I wanted in my area by daylight but it didn't matter as we didn't see much. I told my dad prior to heading out this was the year I was going to hold out for something big and that if he wanted a meat buck to go ahead and take one as I was not going to. There was a wet dusting of snow on the ground and it looked like it was going to be miserable. We headed into our area and took a tour in the truck to see what was around. Never saw nothing until about 830. I was watching a cut block through the binos and all of a sudden saw deer popping up one by one from their beds. 12 in total, 3 were bucks (2 spikers and maybe a 2 point) There were also some others hanging out by the bush line and figure thats where the big guy might be. As they would not come out further we preceded to try and flank them. However by the time we got around to them they had all started to enter some thick bush. Saw the 2 spikes together and would of had an easy 25 yard shot at either as they were too curious to leave. However I decided this year after that i would hold out for at least a 3 point or better. My dad also passed as it was early in the day yet.

We continued on and did not see much for about aabout 3 hours. We decided to walk a cut block where I had taken a 3 point the year before (my biggest to date) I walked the ridge while my dad parked the truck and walked the road. I saw lots of sign but came out to the end of the ridge with nothing to see but a moose antler shed and a grouse. I then decided to walk through the cut block and see if I could spook one napping as I had seen a ton of beds. I heard what I thought was something run but did not see anything. I thought nothing of it and continued on. I located the area of last years deer kill and was hoping to see another one but no such luck.

I met up with dad and we walked back to the truck. My dad wanted to turn around out of the area but I said lets just go through again as you never know.....Within 30 yards of where the truck was parked I looked over on my dads driver side and noticed a large deer. I said, "dad is that a buck" quickly realizing it was a large doe......my dad then said, "theres a big buck right there!!!!" I looked over and saw about ten feet away from the doe a very large bodied deer with antlers over the ears. I quickly got out of the truck, loaded up my 300 WSM and put the scope on it. The antlers were tall but did not see how many points as I didn't want to waste time as he was one hop away from heading into the sticks.

He was standing broadside about 120 yards away on a bit of hill, perfect shot! I put the crosshairs behind the front shoulder and realized that this deer had a lot of mass to shoot at. I then let him have it. As usual when shooting big game no kick of the gun was felt nor the sound heard when I let it go. The buck dropped like a rock and I knew he was down for the count. I reloaded another round in case he got back up again but soon realized he was done. I high fived my dad and we were both jumping up and down, reminded me of when I was 12 and got my 1st ever deer with my dad. Other deer sprung up from their beds and started running everywhere. I said to my dad, I knew it was a buck and I saw antlers but I took his word on it that it was the one I wanted this year! He then said its big!!

I walked up to the deer and quickly saw he was a 4 point and a pretty good one at that! 20 years of hunting and hoping to get this guy! He was one heavy fella too, weighing 175 lbs on the meat hook! Very happy with this guy!

He was about a 100 yards from where I took my 3 point the year before and was about 40 yards east from where I had walked. It was obvious they were bedded down when I had walked by and did not see them or spook them.

Here are a couple of pics (hope they work),,,,,behind one you will see my "wall of shame" as I like to call it. This guy will be going on my wall!

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/cyrus747/?action=view&current=deer1.jpg

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/cyrus747/?action=view&current=deer2.jpg

kayjayess
10-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Congrats man. beauty buck!

KB90
10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Congratulations Very Nice Deer and detailed story! I hope that I don't have to wait as long as you did for a 4 point but only time will tell. What area of region 5?

jrjonesy
10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Great deer and great mass on his antlers! Congratulations!

Big7
10-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Nice buck...congrats on your first 4 point!

quackquackbang
10-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Awsome 4 point man congrats!!!

BCrams
10-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Great buck!! Quite exciting, expecially with your Dad!

rifleman
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
nice job man, that is a decent 4 point for sure.

10-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Great Muley!

Cyrus
10-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Congratulations Very Nice Deer and detailed story! I hope that I don't have to wait as long as you did for a 4 point but only time will tell. What area of region 5?

My secret area near 100 Mile. Thanks for the comments guys!

Shermdog
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
beauty buck!!! Im finally headin out this weekend lookin for a big boy north of kamloops!!

d6dan
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Good going Cyrus, Nice 4pt.. Now you have to start holding out for bigger ones?. congrats

Cyrus
10-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Good going Cyrus, Nice 4pt.. Now you have to start holding out for bigger ones?. congrats

No passing on any of these guys! I have gone the odd year with just wanting to find a spike let alone a big one, just got lucky!

FORKHORN
10-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Nice Buck and great story Cyrus!!! Hard to pass one like that.

slicky72
10-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Great buck! Good job...

Rattler
10-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice buck, congrats.

nano
10-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Congrats to you!!

Phil
10-07-2009, 08:12 PM
That's a nice buck! Good work, but how do hunt hunt with that blindfold on? Ah, kidding of course.

kennyj
10-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Awesome buck.Getting a head mount?

Cyrus
10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Awesome buck.Getting a head mount?

no, just the antlers.

mitchell
10-07-2009, 08:57 PM
nice buck would make sweet european mount pm me if your interested i got beatles

martyonthewater
10-07-2009, 10:19 PM
great buck, nice and heavy