PDA

View Full Version : deer grunts and other noises

gamer
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Wondering what sounds a deer buck makes. Grunted back and forth with a buck till he approached. I could not see him just heard him. He approached quickly and it sound like he was circling my position. Then I heard what sounded like a snarl( and I mean mad angry snarl), twice very close on my right, about 3-5 seconds apart. Then silence. Could that have been the deer catching my scent? Bear catching both our scents? Anybody else heard deer make sounds that you wouldn't think came from a buck? Hunted same area for a couple days after and only saw bull moose.

300wsm
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
never heard a deer do that...only snort for agression. i am thinking you wouldn't have heard it circling if it was a cat. my two cents is a bear or a wolf but both i think would try to stay down wind from you so as not to alert the prey. did the noise come from up or down wind?

gamer
10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
What little wind there was was coming at my face and snarl was to my right about 40 ft. away. Did see old cat tracks in the area, but , they looked small, maybe 2.5 inches wide.