PDA

View Full Version : Good morning All!!

Derekh
10-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Hope your all having a wonderful season thus far!! Im new here from Alberta and my passion is hunting! been doing it all my life! however being in BC im finding it a little bit challenging as to where to find whitetails, and mule deer! so i guess what im asking is if someone can point me in the right direction, not talking honey holes, just ideas of what zones to hunt! im currently living in surrey so where ever is somewhat close to there :) ive been studying maps since i moved here and im considering this year to be pretty much a washout until i figure things out!

Any help would be much appreciated! any little bit helps!

Thanks again
Derek

Salty
10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Welcome Derek.

In a nut shell, you need to get away from the people, and the further the better. Sucess can be had in region 2 in its outskirts but there'll be way more hunters than deer virtually everywhere. Head east, or head north if you want good deer hunting. Going east - the further the better except skip the okanagan valley - again, too many people.

Some closer areas I'd try if I was in your position would be north and east of Princeton, around Merrit but not Kamloops, or north end of the Fraser canyon. These will still see a lot of pressure. Again, the further the better for the most part.

Somewhere the MOE prints a list of success rates from last year vs. hunter numbers in the various areas. (Is that the hunting synopsis? i forget now). Anyways get ahold of that and study it, along with decent maps. The 'backroad map' series of books are excellent and at most hunting/camping type shops. Start there, and start exploring. G'luck :grin:

Derekh
10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Thankyou Salty!! I really appreciate it!!