PDA

View Full Version : Best pocket digital camera for hunters???

bearheart
10-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Looking for a small digital camera to take on hunts. It needs to work when temp is low ,my Nikon Coolpix , (at least 7-8 yrs old, hand me down from my kids) gets real sluggish when temps drops. Able to tolerate damp conditions also. I don't take underwater pics so waterproof not needed. I like good optics so I would favor Nikon or Canon. Something that fits in a jacket pocket would be nice. Thanks.

David Heitsman
10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Get a water proof Pentax. Am on my 3rd or 4th one now. Pics are clear, never worry about moisture ever on my Zodiac or whitewater rafting in the summer. Quite light and has good self timer. Easy to navigate the system on it. Always rides in my shirt breast pocket. Buy an extra battery as it uses a wafer battery.

BlacktailStalker
10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
I bought an Olympus stylus TOUGH 6000 for this recent past hunt, so far so good.
Waterproof to 10' and 5' shock proof, 10 mega pixel.
Was gone 2 weeks in temps ranging from -5 to +25, took over 200 pics and still had plenty of battery left.

10-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Get a water proof Pentax. Am on my 3rd or 4th one now. Pics are clear, never worry about moisture ever on my Zodiac or whitewater rafting in the summer. Quite light and has good self timer. Easy to navigate the system on it. Always rides in my shirt breast pocket. Buy an extra battery as it uses a wafer battery.

Bomber cameras, but not especially good optics due to small lens and waterproof cover... Go Canon or Nikon

RustyRipper
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Olympus for sure! I think its the stylus 720A or somethin (well mine is, the newer version is an updated number) 10mp, waterproof to 30ft, (you say you dont need waterproof but all it takes is one drop in a puddle and you're back to where you are now). It's shockproof from 6 ft dropped and crushproof, for stepping on it and stuff, and its freezerproof, cant remember the temp i think -30 or something. Anyway long story short, I bought mine 3 years ago and have yet to have a problem with it, been scuba diving with it, hunting in -32, dropped it tons and even ran over it once. I want it to break so I can get the new one but it wont! hands down best camera Ive ever owned, all my friends have bought it now too after seeing it in action. my two pence

martyonthewater
10-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Another vote for olympus here, Ive got an sw850 myself, as has been said, shockproof, waterproof and good to minus 15c with no issues at all. I love it and it takes great photos as well

Stone Sheep Steve
10-07-2009, 04:02 AM
I'm happy with my little Casio Exilim. Really small and takes good pics....but I would take a hard look at the Olympus water and shockproof cameras. I watched a guy from London Drugs doing a demo on them and he tossed one onto the concrete floor picked it up and used it.
Would be hard to beat for for a backpack camera.

SSS

slicky72
10-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Olympus for sure , I have an older model maybe four or five years. Has been out fishing the west coast, snowmobiling, atving , and hunting. Still has good battery life and takes great pictures for compact camera. Zero problems.

Twobucks
10-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Olympus - I have one of their rugged point and shoots. It takes great pics, it's light, shockproof, works well in cold temps, and the waterproof feature means you don't have to worry about it getting soaked when you do.

Mine's about 3 years old - there are newer models out there, but I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

If you're useing any camera in real cold temps (ie: not "coastal cold") keep the camera inside your jacket and you'll save battery life big time.

bearheart
10-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks, going to London drugs at lunch today and look at their Olympus cameras.

BCJunior
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Olympus sp-510 UZ
works like a charm ;)
it's afew years old now, n a little big
but WORTH it.
maybe try a smaller olympus, but they are very good cams

beanshooter
10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
i'll vouch for the olympus as well. I've had the stylus 770SW for a few years and it's been great. the only problems occur after i've had it in salt water and not rinsed it off after. even then, warranty got me a new one with no hassles. the shock/water proof is an awesome feature, just takes the worry out. I've even tossed it over a few small cliffs while snowboarding so buddy below could take the shot.

Spitzer
10-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Another for the olympus stylus, mine's been great in all weather.

betteroffishing
10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
stylus 1050 , the older one with out the slide. greatest little camera around

brenden
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Olympus Tough 6000. Got one last week in Kallispell for 219$. Everywhere else was over 340$. I wreck digitals steady but this one seems up to the task. The newest model is alll stainless and much cooler looking. Almost bought the pentax waterproof unit but the Tough was an awesome buy.

Brenden

BCHunterFSJ
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Just one more vote for Olympus...

Brambles
10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I have the olympus tough 8000, so far its a nice camera, a little lean on the optical zoom but for field pics its just fine. Some cool features and tough as nails.

My wife has the panasonic lumix F18, now that baby has optical zoom. Newer ones have even more.

hillman
10-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I am on my second Olympus. My newest one is the 850SW, and I am real happy with it.

This model is much simpler and the functions are more "intuitive" than the older water resistent models.

zaconb
10-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Stylus tough 8000, enough said :p