PDA

View Full Version : Antler Mounting Kit

Cyrus
10-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I got a nice 4 point mulie on Friday (biggest to date, will not be added to the wall of shame that has all my 2 points and spikers!!) I was wondering where I could get an antler mounting kit that is decent in Kamloops? This one is going to go on my wall! Are they difficult to mount? I don't want to screw up!

Kye
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm personally not a big fan of the mounting kits that I found when looking. I made my own by getting a plaque from Michael's and staining it then using a stainless bolt and mounting the skull plate to it. It worked well and gave it a clean look.

Cyrus
10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm personally not a big fan of the mounting kits that I found when looking. I made my own by getting a plaque from Michael's and staining it then using a stainless bolt and mounting the skull plate to it. It worked well and gave it a clean look.

What did you use in the center where the hide is still left over?

3kills
10-07-2009, 06:46 AM
peel all that hide off and let it sit out side for a bit and let the birds and bucks pick all the meat and stuff off...i used a mounting kit last year on a buck i got and it worked but not as well as they made it look like it would work..u can get them from whole sale sports and i think walmart even carry them...

bsa30-06
10-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Have seen them at walmart aswell

stitch
10-07-2009, 09:47 AM
have yopu already cut the antlers off the skull? I do all my skulls myself and they turn out great. If still attached to the shull I recommend removing the hide from the bone. Remove the lower jaw bone and then boild for a few hours removing the skull every hour or so to pick the meat off. I then give it a soak in bleach and water for a few minutes and you have yourself a great looking skull mount.