PDA

View Full Version : My fist big game!!!!

bubba350
10-06-2009, 08:25 PM
So this is my second year hunting. Last year I didn't connect on any big game but had great success with grouse. On our first hunt this year my buddy connected on a Calf elk for his LEH draw. Next it was time for Moose and Mullie in the interior (Any Bull LEH shared hunt draw). We started out on friday morning and it was -3 and snowing. we got out of the truck and started hiking. I got into a large cut block and there are tracks everywhere Moose, Deer, wolf ect. so I walk in about another 500M to a bluff and out of the corner of my eye I see a Deer. I glass it and its a spiker! Instantly the buck fever kicks in and I start shaking. I raise my 30-06 can't hold it still, down to one knee.....not any better....so I belly crawl up to a rock and use it to support the rifle. I got him in my sights at 160 yard........but I am shooting at 15 degrees down and for the life of me can't think weither to aim high or low.......so I take 3 or 4 deep breath and ...... BOOM! all I see in the scope is a deer rump trotting into the bush. Argh! I missed. So i take the walk of shame and go check for blood. Nothing! oh wait ther is some hair and a drop of blood (yeah I didn't miss), and more blood. So I get 10 yards into the bush and ther there is a bed full of blood. And then I see him running off again so I sitdown and call my hunting partner on the radio. 45 minutes layer we start tracking ( thank god theres snow on the ground!) over a mile later in thick bush I see him standing there I finish him off and we dress him out. Now its a mile hike(3hrs) back to the cut block where we leave him. we go get the quad and go retreive him. I took the first shot at 07:15 and we were driving back to the cabin at 18:30(6:30pm) what an experiance! It was alot of work but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

P.S. Thanks to you guys on this site for all your help and advice. You guys are awealth of knowledge for a novice hunter....... THANK YOU

sorry the story was so long hopfully next week I will have a moose story for you.

Later Bubba:razz:

Pics to follow

bubba350
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/Itukutau/DSCN2852.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/Itukutau/IMG_0353.jpg

killman
10-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Congrats on your first Big game animal.

Good for you for following through and recovering that deer!

MRoy10
Great looking Meat on that one and even better story cant wait to hear about that elusive moose haha

10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Good work on the tracking and getting the job done! Congratulations!

r106
10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
good job. I hope I can get my first this year ( If I get any time off work )
________
Clear Trichomes (http://trichomes.org)

Phil
10-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Hubba Bubba! that's a fine looking meat buck! Congrats on your first kill and good luck on the moose hunt.

Steeleco
10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
If you thought the deer was hard work LOL, congrats. The harder the work the tastier the meat!!!

showtimebc
10-06-2009, 10:18 PM
good job bubba!

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/Itukutau/DSCN2852.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/Itukutau/IMG_0353.jpg

Nice skinning job Bubba ,congrats.Next time cut the neck a little bit closer to the head,there is lots of good stewing meat there.:grin:

Little Hawk
10-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Congrats Bubba! I know exactly how how you felt. My first deer (mulie doe near Tyaughton Lk) was a gong-show. Had a slowly leaking 2/ltr. wine-skin (full of water) hanging from a strap on my pack. When I raised my rifle to take 'the shot' it was still swinging back and forth causing my whole body to sway gently back and forth. I grit my teeth and tensed-up best I could but still couldn't hold my 'Old-Brit' still enough to aim good. The deer was about 80/yds uphill and I was out in the open and simply had to take the shot before she saw me.

I let one fly 'Boom'. Down it goes behind a log... then suddenly it's up again on its front haunches only. Shit! I chamber another round as I charge up the hill 10/yds or so then raise my rifle - wine skin swinging/rifle swinging back and forth - 'Boom!'... missed. Shit! Charged up the hill some more, chambered another round...

Long story shot, including the last one I finisher her with while standing over it, I'd taken six-shots to do the job.

Moral of the story: Don't have heavy shit dangling on strings from your pack.

BTW: Whether uphill or downhill, bullet trajectory becomes increasingly unaffected by gravity as the angle away from level-flight increases, ie. it will hit higher. A good way to practice this is to rent a hot-air ballon and take it out to the rifle-range on practice day. Bring long ropes and while teathered over the target area...

I digress.

rocksteady
10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Congrats on the first....

Also good on you for your ethics...

1) You took the time to get a good rest, cause you knew you were all over the place with your sight picture...

2) Going to look, even though you thought you missed...

3) Backing off when you jumped it, wounded..Waited suitable time...

4) You stuck on it til you finished it off and took your bounty out....

Congrats again, hopefully just your first of many to come..

Leaseman
10-07-2009, 07:00 AM
I second what Rocksteady says....:biggrin:

Big congrats..... now wait till you see what fun a moose can be......:roll:

M.Dean
10-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Looks like a fine buck to me! Congrats! Good for you on following up on your shot!

buckguy
10-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Congrats. Good on ya for tracking and recovering the animal. Lots of hard work, but that will make for some great memories.

jrjonesy
10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
I second Rocksteady's comments too. Excellent job and congratulations onyour first big game animal!!!

BCJunior
10-07-2009, 08:45 AM
i'm happy to hear you got him, sure looks yummy on the pole :D
it's always nice to have a good bit of snow to help guide you through.
good job man!

bubba350
10-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the great coments folks!!!!!

Brambles
10-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Congrats on your first deer, where was the first shot?

peterrum3
10-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I liked your story for a whole bunch of reasons. Took me back many years. Congrats.

RBH
10-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Buck Fever!! Better than sex! :biggrin:

Thanks for the great story.

tomahawk
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Awesome, way to go!

quackquackbang
10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Congrats on your first big game animal!! should be some good eatin there!!!8-)