PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Joke - Deer Hair dying qusetion

Mulehahn
10-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I am new to this site, but have learned that a joke is required for all newbies. I am sure everyone has heard this, but everytime I read it, it makes me laugh.

One day a man went into the dentist's to get a tooth pulled. When the dentist told him he needed to give him some anesthetic he refused. The dentist told him this again and he refused saying "I have experienced the 2 worst pains in the world, I don't need anesthetic". So the dentist pulled the tooth and the guy just sat there and didn't even flinch. When this was done the dentist says to the man "What were those pains ?". The guy says "the first when happened while i was out hunting, I squated down to take a crap and got my balls caught in a bear trap". The dentist asks him what the second one was and the guy says "when I reached the end of the Chain"

Now for my question. My cousin just came back from a successful deer hunt near PG, and he saved me some hair for my flies. Does anyone know of a reliable, permanent method to dye these hairs for patterns such as a micky fin. I have plenty of patterns I can tie undyed, but would like to expand my repetoire. Thanks in advance.

Chuck
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I'll dye hair for flies and jigs. Using just white hair for the purpose, I've never attempted to dye the short dark hair, so I don't know what it would even look like dyed. Go to Wal-Mart and ask a clerk to show you where the "Rit dye" is kept. That's all you'll need. Get a few old quart jars with lids that seal real good. Dump a pack of the colours chosen into each jar. I prefer red and blue, but there are others. Add very warm water to each jar and fill to about 2/3rds full. Put the lids on each jar and give them a shake to mix & disolve well. With the hair still on the dried out hide, cut from the skin side appropriate chunks of hide to roll up and stuff into each jar. Set aside for at least two days to soak in the dye. Then just carefully remove each from its jar separately and rinse well (outside is best for this) with cold water hose. Hang up someplace to dry out. Put lids back on jars tight and save for next time. That's all. Colours are strong when white hair is dyed.

Mulehahn
10-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the imformation. It is greatly appreciated. I will try it soon.

M.Dean
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Good joke, makes you kinda squirm in your chair! Welcome aboard!

spreerider
10-11-2009, 07:06 PM
i have heard of people using hair dye from walmart the kind women use, but i haveonly ever died sheeps wool.