PDA

View Full Version : Pemberton Update Trip

hunter11
10-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I went up to pemberton on Saturday morning hoping to catch a nice 2 point or even a 4 pt but to my surprize I only saw 3 does and 6 fawns which drove me nuts. Also saw 3 grouse, 2 moose, 1 bear and a rabbit but no BUCKS!!!!!! I went all over the place but no sign of fesh shit or prints.
I was hoping to see some more bears but only saw one on a farm and could've been a grizz.

So I'm wondering if the forest fires drove them up north or to the east? I'm not sure what's going with the deer in pemberton? I've heard that mid Oct to end of Oct is more promising but I don't want to head up there and waste my time.

Does a hunter really have to go to region 3 or 4 to actully see some bucks?????? I've also debated on heading up the Coq.Hwy maybe a better chance.

If anybody has some great opinions or tips that would be much appreciated.Thanks and good luck to you all. Cheers.

Islandeer
10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds like a very good trip. Lot's of game. Be patient ... :biggrin:

Steeleco
10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Be patient. My son and I went to our spot on Friday and saw not even a grouse till Sunday noon. Then they were everywhere. Just because you didn't see them dosen't mean they're not there.BTW we were hunting within eyeshot of the large fire (3000+Ha) that burned all July, and the animals were still there, when they showed up that is!!

hunter11
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Oh I'm happy I at least saw animals but not even a spike buck showed up! I have tried for deer up there every year hoping to shoot one during the fall as I see a few nice bucks there in the spring.

I am now wondering if I should head to Coq.Hwy or Merrit or even Princton for better oppt. Dunno need to check the web and see if there's more info out there. Thanks guys and hopefully everybody fills their freezer this years. Cheers.

Gateholio
10-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Been saying it for years- There are NO deer in Pemberton.

Although we have Rosie elk now!:mrgreen:

slashhunter
10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
2 moose
moose in pemberton!!!!

sparkes3
10-06-2009, 06:08 PM
i almost hit a moose on the way home from meager creek this spring.and i sat and watched two for about an hour last fall both times io was within 15 minutes of town

TyTy
10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Seen moose sign on their winter range in april along the lilloett river, didn't know they were actually up there until then. Have heard from the local natives that they will travel all the way to north end of harrison. Also, an interesting fact is that the griz population around pemberton does not come to the rivers for the salmon runs. Good blackie habitat and population there. For deer, look to the soo river, anderson lake, or travel the 70km to the north end of harrison (port douglas).

hunter11
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully it heats up at the end of the month! We can't give up and let our antler friends win! Goodluck to all.Cheers.

Gateholio
10-06-2009, 08:34 PM
There are moose all along the Hurley, down to Meager and through the meadows. There is also a decent population in the Soo Valley and also towards Mt Currie and Lillooet Lake. I've seen moose through Owl Creek area, too.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Mt Currie is a well known spot to bag a doe in heat. Double bag that is.

Kevin So
10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
was up in region 3 last weekend and same thing 7 doe, 1 fawn, one 2x? young buck but too late in the day to try a shot. Going to Pemberton this weekend and will see if the bucks are as illusive as in region3.

One Shot Willy
10-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Go up the Hurley FSR, there are plenty of deer. You can also go into mackenzie basin, there will be a lot moving through there in lat oct and Nov. I have never had a problem getting a dear. If you not sure about the area, go to spuds sporting good in Pemberton they will help you out

hunter11
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
One shot Willy I've bumped into the guy who owns the Spud Valley Store on Hurley he said that the deer and bear hunting has been brutal this year. He hasn't seen f all. Usually alot of bears are around and a few bucks if you bump into them by accident. I don't know were your hunting but I went all over the place in pemberton, birken, blackwater, hurley, lilloet, across from the hurley and didn't see any bucks. I don't understand I can see moose but no bucks! What a joke. Out early in the mornings and still nothing. I guess I have to blame it on the fires or something.

Like I say I'll try it in Oct.24 and see if the deer are moving more. Thanks and good luck to all.

10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
One shot Willy I've bumped into the guy who owns the Spud Valley Store on Hurley he said that the deer and bear hunting has been brutal this year. He hasn't seen f all. Usually alot of bears are around and a few bucks if you bump into them by accident. I don't know were your hunting but I went all over the place in pemberton, birken, blackwater, hurley, lilloet, across from the hurley and didn't see any bucks. I don't understand I can see moose but no bucks! What a joke. Out early in the mornings and still nothing. I guess I have to blame it on the fires or something.

Like I say I'll try it in Oct.24 and see if the deer are moving more. Thanks and good luck to all.

thats because those guys won't get out of there truck to look for them

slashhunter
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
i heard of a moose swimming across anderson lake probaly 8 years ago, it swam over to the south side but was shot by a native when it reached land.....

MichelD
10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I've seen moose up and down that valley for years. Some big Bullwinkles too!

coquitlam
10-07-2009, 06:13 PM
last year when I was on the hurley and in the valley hunting .The only thing I could find that wash fresh were wolf tracks everywhere

harbinger
10-07-2009, 10:04 PM
You should definately try Merrit in late October, MUCH better odds of success than in Pemby. The hunting here is not what it used to be...:icon_frow

Kevin So
10-12-2009, 11:56 AM
was up in region 3 last weekend and same thing 7 doe, 1 fawn, one 2x? young buck but too late in the day to try a shot. Going to Pemberton this weekend and will see if the bucks are as illusive as in region3.

Just got back from Pemberton, up and down the Hurley a couple of times and there was no action. Hiked into a cut areas, nice and cold, some large deer tracks and many smal bear tracks but totally skunked. Talked to a couple other hunters and also the same report. didn't hear any shots either except some rapid firing of what sounded like a shot gun, probaly someone unloading their fustration of getting skunked :lol:

hopfully i'll have better luck next weekend.

hunter11
10-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the update Kenvin So. I'm hoping it'll be better end of Oct. Maybe the snow and cold should push em' down. Good luck and Cheers.