PDA

View Full Version : Liver disappointment

10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Just got back from a trip to the Caribou where I tagged an eater buck for the first of the season.
Much to my disappointment when I went to package the liver ( I always keep the heart and liver on non rut bucks and moose) the liver had what looked like small white jelly like dots about 1/4 to 3/8 of and inch in it so out with them.
I have seen what I think are the same thing in actual moose steaks etc. but never seen this in such a small healthy looking little buck.
Have you seen this before, is the rest of the meat likely to have the same??
Thanks in advance
CT

RiverBoatFantasy
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I have never eaten liver so I could not comment!

MuleyMadness
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Small white jelly like dots??....I am not a large animal vet, but I have seen enough biology books to know you are likely seeing tumours of some sort or high levels of fatty liver tissue, which is an indicator of liver disease and damage. Never ever seen that on a healthy animal, and personally I think I would take them to a butcher, rancher, or best case wildlife biologist to have them looked at before ingesting the meat...I mean why screw around if you're not sure. Organ issues can certainly transfer from internal organs, celerbral fluid, etc to the meat (hence people getting mad cow, and other organ carried diseases) so get it checked...what's it gonna hurt?

10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Did he have a bottle of scotch with him when you shot him? IIRC there is a disease in rabbits that cause spots on the liver. Why do you keep the heart and liver from game that is not in the rut? What is wrong with those organs when they are in rut?

LYKTOHUNT
10-06-2009, 03:10 PM
THe meat is fine , dont eat the liver

500grhollowpoint
10-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't think it's fair chase when you shoot a drunk deer....

10-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Answer for why not in the rut, I have seen them (liver ) look like Cork .....
Nasty looking, not all by any means though.

CT

mark
10-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Answer for why not in the rut, I have seen them (liver ) look like Cork .....
Nasty looking, not all by any means though.

CT

Heart and liver from deer in the rut is absolutely fine!
Been eating it all my life!

Anyone that says different doesnt know what they are talking about!

Mauser98
10-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Liver is part of the gut pile and should be left for crows, ravens and other miscellaneous scavengers.

Mtn Wonderer
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't think it's fair chase when you shoot a drunk deer....

LOL<!!!!!:mrgreen:

Hidehanger
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Could be what is called moose measels...call MOE in your area and ask to get a copy of their wildife diseases booklet (small 4x5 inch green cover that their vet put together)...it has photos so you can see if that is it.

Hidehanger
10-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Could be what is called moose measels...call MOE in your area and ask to get a copy of their wildife diseases booklet (small 4x5 inch green cover that their vet put together)...it has photos so you can see if that is it.

I should have taken my own advice...I looked in my copy (page 26)...It may in fact be Hydatid Disease because moose measels don't seem to infect the liver (muscle and connective tissue instead). I would strongly urge you to take a sample to MOE for their vet to see...if it is Hydatid Disease, it does pose a risk to you and your dogs. It says that the cysts are not infectious, but the eggs from the worms that casue these cysts can infect people and caution in handling is warned...sorry, not trying to panic you or anyone, just suggest you check it out further...