PDA

View Full Version : Seen A HUGE Black Bear.

muleychaser
10-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I went out hunting Friday night with a good friend just outside of PG. It was more of a get out and bs kinda hunt as that particular area doesn't hold nothing much till later in the season. BOY WAS I WRONG!

I turn around in a cut block(that will be the only hint) and look up on the hillside and see a big Black object. First thing I think is moose, I raised up the binos and 400 yards away (rangefinder) was the biggest black bear I have ever seen in 20 years of being in the bush. He turned broad side and my jaw hit the floor board. We watch him for ten minutes as he made his way to the timber. I choose not to shoot cause I had 165 grain bullets and was in awe of this bear. Kicked myself the whole way home.

Saturday starts and I have told those close to me about this bear but you know what that is like unless you have the damn thing with you. We go back out Saturday night and I have my father in law with me. We went looking for him and right at last night like a ghost he shows up. I looked at dad there andf said so what do you think? He replies "You weren't kidding, I have never seen a bear that big!" I get to wthin 280 yards and it is that time of night where every minute that ticks by it gets noticeably darker. He stops behind a tree and offers me head and neck only. I steady the gun pulled the trigger and felt myself flinch!!!! He took off and we pulled out for the night.

Sunday morning at sunrise I am there to check for any sign of a hit ( after a sleepless night). Nothing.......but I did get to know his area better and found a bed that is nothing less than a perfect spot. If you didn't know where it is you wouldn't see him.

This bear has completely consumed me now. I am going to leave him alone this week and let him settle down but I can't wait to go back. This bear will be definately in the mid 7 foot range without a doubt! I also have no doubts he has called this place home for years from what I seen on that ridge. I just hope he shows himself again and maybe my next post will have pictures to back up what I just layed out there.

Toad Hunter
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Chase himn with HOUNDS!!!!!!

lightmag
10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
you will get him, you been getting out much? PM if you like.

Ride
10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Good luck, hopefully you can seal the deal. I was in a similar situation on Sunday, saw a great big blackie and let him go for some reason. Might have to go back for him. Can't seem to forget about him.