PDA

View Full Version : DONT do THIS,,,,

elkdom
10-06-2009, 11:57 AM
yesterday while cow calling and doing Bull chuckles in heavy thick timber, I called in 2 guys in full camo, they were walking/stalking me ,all the while, carrying one of those cloth fold up Cow Elk decoys fully deployed, they came at me through heavy undergrowth, directly coming to my calls with the Wind at their backs, which any living elk likely wont do, plus the fact my hearing is good, I could hear them whispering from at least a 100 yards away,,, I carry high quality Bino's and have a ton of hunting and guiding experience, I finally whistled and called "hey YOU" to their total surprise!

I pointed out they may be somewhat in danger doing that( COW Decoy ploy), in heavy timber during an ANY antlerless elk season,,,, but they shrugged off my concerns they may be inviting Personal disaster from a Rifle hunter with BUCK?COW? Fever, whom maybe don't carry Binos and shoot open sites and don't have really good sight and hearing!:eek:,,

what do you guys think of their hunting strategy???

sako_300
10-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Terrible - and they are asking to be shot/shot at.

Especially late season like this - most guys will settle for a cow if they see one just to put some meat in the freezer.

cloverphil
10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
common sense isn't always common

Stone Sheep Steve
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Future Darwin Award Winners:wink:.

SSS

elkdom
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Terrible - and they are asking to be shot/shot at.

Especially late season like this - most guys will settle for a cow if they see one just to put some meat in the freezer.

ABSOLUTELY suicidal in my opinion :eek:, they came to my calls THROUGH HEAVY TIMBER AND UNDERGROWTH waving the Cow Elk decoy like a Maple Leaf Flag on CANADA DAY!, then shrugged off my very polite explanation that they are playing a dangerous game,,:roll:

mxracer328
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
sounds like they wanna be hunted

elkdom
10-06-2009, 12:13 PM
sounds like they wanna be hunted

I do not hunt the "CHALLENGED Elk":redface::-?:-?:oops:,,,

neither do I want a Deep Freezer full of "STUPID" :-?

but in this particular instance, some one surely could have had filled their tags will a DOUBLE/DOUBLE of DUMMMMMMM!:shock:

Phil
10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Was one of their names Stu Pid? He likes to hunt with his good friends, Dum Azs.

Sounds dangerous and careless to me.

lunatic
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Just the good lord's way of eliminating the stupid people that slipped through by birth control not being utilized :biggrin:!

Seriously though......how dumb can people be? I used one of them decoys this year, and I was EXTREMELY careful of where I used it. I had to be 100% sure that there were no other hunters around. It is amazing how lifelike they look even at 10 yards.

curt
10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I wonder how successful they have been over the years hunting that way?? I would bet they have a very limited amount of success stories, they may want to consider a level 3 ballistic vest for future hunts:)

LYKTOHUNT
10-06-2009, 12:43 PM
It has disaster written all over it,for the ones getting shot and potentially for those doing the shooting, a life time of regret and pain

.300WSMImpact!
10-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I think they should stick to road hunting, I am sure that will produce for them, and it is warmer, maybe that is what you should have suggested

cloverphil
10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
should have asked them if they know what the bag limit is for dumb and dumber

jrjonesy
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
For their sake, hopefully they were just too embarrased to admit their stupidity and will take your warning/advice to heart.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I have enjoyed calling in hunters over the years. Good for a great laugh. One year I bugled in a father/son combo. When they got within a few hundred yards I quickly scampered up the hill in hot pursuit of the original bull they were chasing and lost sight of. I saw the bull all along from my vantage point. Never did get him.

When in doubt carry one of them "cow's ass" cloth decoys. Wear it like a hockey jersey. Every hunter knows that an elk does not walk backwards to a call and you will be safe.

jrjonesy
10-06-2009, 01:55 PM
When in doubt carry one of them "cow's ass" cloth decoys. Wear it like a hockey jersey. Every hunter knows that an elk does not walk backwards to a call and you will be safe.

You're giving many more credit than they deserve :grin:

BCJunior
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
LOL
thats all..
LOL

Chillybilly
10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
I bugled in a guide and his hunter last year. He was a little embaresed!

Gateholio
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Luckily, hunters shooting other hunters is a very rare thing in BC:grin:

Squirrelnuts
10-06-2009, 03:02 PM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/67/4706.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/4706.jpg/)

BlacktailStalker
10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Some people were put on earth to be a lesson to others.

wolverine
10-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Was one of their names Stu Pid? He likes to hunt with his good friends, Dum Azs.

Sounds dangerous and careless to me.

Rope and Wedge... man's simplest tools! Sweet Jesus some people are thick.

wolverine
10-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Yeah, you'ld think from some of the fights on this board that stat would be higher wouldn't you. ;)

BearStump
10-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Well at least you know that your calls sounded very real.

nano
10-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Thats why i wear my blazed orange hat!!!

303Brit
10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Sounds like awesome hunting method, if you want to leave with a GSW.

MikeH
10-06-2009, 06:30 PM
lol thats too much, ******s like that give us a bad name.

Geronimo
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Sounds like GREAT candidates for the "Darwin" award==give them time they will get it

Elkhound
10-06-2009, 08:08 PM
stupid people scare me. Not to mention bad hunters...who the hell tries to sneak up on an elk whispering that loudly and the smell going right to the elk? Unreal

Rattler
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Future Darwin Award Winners:wink:.

SSS

My thoughts exactly.

Chuck
10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
WOW! I can still remember a Nelson man accidently shot hunting elk, and he didn't even have a decoy, only a call. Sad, but true. Personally, I prefer to hunt where others never go.

buckguy
10-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Lest the dumb cull thier own ranks. You did well to advise them of thier stupidity, if they choose to shrug it off, then they will have to suffer the consequences of thier actions...While you were talking to them, you should have offered them a "bull antler" hat, helps to blend in....:roll:

gbear
10-06-2009, 08:34 PM
YIKES!!

I can't believe someone would do that. I have one of those decoys and really make sure if I set it up I am no where near it. The first time I set it up, it suprised me how real it could look.

elkdom
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
X2 on that thank God!, on the down side by the time you read the reg's count points, check daily bag limits quota's, usually the darned things(hunters) have retired to their HUM "V's" for a wobbly pop and you have to start calling them all over again!:lol:

In4TheHunt
10-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't have guessed that something like that was possible.
But walking through thick brush with a decoy and not taking it seriously when a veteran hunter says...."hey that is not a smart move"
is just stu pid "death wish much"?

granpa's_303
10-10-2009, 09:59 AM
anyone see that anti-smoking ad where the guy is walking in the woods with an antler helmut. he says "you think this is stupid"... (smoking is bad, blah, blah)... My point is you don't even have to have one days experience hunting to know what they were doing is sheer lunacy. If you accidently shoot a couple morons are you supposed to field dress them as to avoid spoilage?

Buckmeister
10-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I finally whistled and called "hey YOU" to their total surprise!

Maybe instead of getting there attention that way, you could have fired a shot into the air and then yelled out "Holy Crap!!! I thought you guys were an elk, good thing i'm a bad shot, eh?"