PDA

View Full Version : Target Bow

30.06 Hunter
10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I am in the market for a bow for target archery, 3d, indoor, etc. I have a PSE Masterflite 70lb that is a bit of a brute to shoot so I am looking for some recommendations on specs and accessories for a good target bow that is easy to shoot for extended periods of time. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I am in the market for a bow for target archery, 3d, indoor, etc. I have a PSE Masterflite 70lb that is a bit of a brute to shoot so I am looking for some recommendations on specs and accessories for a good target bow that is easy to shoot for extended periods of time. Any info is greatly appreciated.

are you looking to hunt with it or just target duty

Target duty bows
Hoyt Elite or Pro series bows
Bowtech Sentinal or brigadier
Mathews Apex 7
PSE MoneyMaker
Martin Scpter 4s

the list goes on and on

for a double duty bow I would look at something maybe a bit faster than these and perhaps a bit shorter in the A2A dept
Hoyt Alpha max series
bowtech gardian or commander
Mathews drenalin
PSE x force series
once again the list goes on and on

the question you have to ask yourself is ... "Does this bow feel Good in my hands"
try as many as you can ... any reputable shop will let you test drive a particular brand

danfloris
10-06-2009, 07:47 PM
i shoot a 2008 pse x force 6 it is a great bow i have one for hunting one or 3d....i chose the 70lb bow but im a bigger guy. it still is a bit of a grunt to shoot for 3 day shoots, but it is asmooth bow and fun to shoot very fast.

great for me anyways.

Bow Walker
10-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix XL set at 60lbs. My sight is a combo of Sure-Loc 500 Supreme sight frame/bar with a Classic scope and a Zeiss 4X magnifier. It's got a 28" carbon fiber stabilizer with 6" adjustable-weight side bars. My arrow of choice is the Easton Fatboy 500's cut down to 26.25" and fletched with 1.5" Blazer vanes. The points are Easton Fatboy 100 grain points, cut down to 65 grains each.

This system is customized by me for me, but the bow is one that is comfortable and can be shot all day or all night long. But you gotta try it to be sure you like it.

30.06 Hunter
10-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the info gentlemen. This will give me a god starting point. This bow I am thinking would be pretty much exclusive for target.
What are the main differences between bows marketed as target and those as hunting bows?

Bowzone_Mikey
10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
typically target bows are a bit longer in the axel to axel measurement, little bit larger brace height 7.5 inches or better and are typically slower on the IBO speed ratings ...but the most obvious differance is the paint job

Bow Walker
10-07-2009, 08:02 PM
What he said....is true.

30.06 Hunter
10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Seems they are a tad more expensive as well. Thanks for the info.

Foxtail
10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I am partial to the Fred Bear bows so I'm gonna point out their new dark horse option for some of their existing bows... Very affordable bows. I am also partial to Martin bows, I have a nice old Martin Lynx XR in Target candy apple red. Pretty much all newer bows are going to be more acurate than anyone that shoots them, even hunting bows. It all comes down to how the bow feels in your hand though and has nothing to do with price. If you find a bow that feels really good but is from a less known manufacturer or a "cheaper" bow, don't let anyone, especially a salesman try to tell you it isn't as good. If the shot feels good to you then it probably is good for you. Shoot as many as you can and don't worry about where the arrow hits... tuning comes later and is half the fun.

jessbennett
10-21-2009, 06:07 PM
take a look at the new carbon matrix from hoyt...... sweet peice of machinery right there.:eek:

30.06 Hunter
10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Thats one weird looking bow.

"The ground breaking Hoyt Carbon Matrix marks much more than an epic advancement in Hoyt engineering; it triggers a quantum leap for the entire archery industry.":shock::shock::shock:

Does this mean if I get one I will become a world champion?:razz:

It is sweet though and is something like what I am looking for.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Ground breaking lmao
... Funny thing ... Diamond(before Bowtech bought them) had Carbon Risers back in the 90s