PDA

View Full Version : Planning Moose/Elk trip in the peace, need advice!

RustyRipper
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Myself and my hunting partners are planning a combo trip for moose and elk, near pink mountain. I've never hunted the elk up there and was wondering how I should go about it as it will be the last week of october. Is it too late for any sort of calling? or will they still come in to cow calls? or is it just a spot and stalk sort of deal. We saw lots of elk up there last year but we weren't hunting them, and as it goes when you're not looking for something they always turn up and when you are they're nowhere to be found. Ive been reading a lot of the threads on here of nice bulls taken so far and I really wish I could be up there hunting them now too, however the lot of us cant get the time off until the end of the month. Any advice would be much appreciated.

bridger
10-06-2009, 11:40 AM
last week of october usually is tough calling as the rut has wound down. a lot of times you can bugle and get an answer then stalk the bull. not much chance they will come in. should have snow up there by then make finding them easier.

RustyRipper
10-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Would the bulls be in bachelor groups by then? I suppose that would make high grading easier. Anyone have any reports from up yonder? good numbers of elk around compared to last year?

BlacktailStalker
10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
They'll be feeding heavy, recovering from the rut, likely in less pressured areas (have fun finding those areas)
I'd spend a lot of time behind the glass and set up in the afternoon where you see them head to bed in the a.m. They'll be on a pretty set pattern if not pushed.