PDA

View Full Version : 3X1 in region 3

Bpower
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I got a chance to do a little scouting for an upcoming LEH Bull Moose draw near Clinton this weekend. I headed out with a couple of friends and covered a lot of ground, Saturday morning we passed up a small spike buck and didn't see any more game until the afternoon when this grouse showed up on the road. The gun I used was a .22/20 gauge combo, I got it with the .22 barrel.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/Painter75/HuntingClinton2009001.jpg

About half an hour later we came across four deer, all looked like does at first but after looking a bit closer the last deer in the group looked like a two point so I decided to take him. My shot happened just as he started to move and it resulted in the shot a bit further back than I would have liked but he didn't go far at all. There was a clear solid blood trail with bits of what looked like lung mixed in. It was about a 50 yard trail to where he stopped and was stone cold dead when we found him. I was a bit surprised when I saw his rack since one side had 3 points and the other side was a single spike.

When I opened him up I saw my 30/06 Federal Fusion 180 grain round punched a good hole straight through both sides of his rib cage. There was a bit of damage to his guts but I was able to deal with the leakage pretty good.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/Painter75/HuntingClinton2009006.jpg

The rifle I am holding in that picture has a bit of family history to it. It is a 30/06 Savage Super Sportster Model 45 that my Grandfather bought in the 1930's. He liked to hunt Mountain Goats around Blue River with it and even used the rifle as a crutch to hobble out of the bush for two days after he broke his ankle while hunting by himself. My father had it refinished in the 70's but didn't ever use it except to scare a bear away from his bee hives he had on our property where I grew up in Vernon. I was glad to be able to put the old rifle to good use this weekend and am hoping to run across a Bull Moose next month with it.

Wild one
10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Good job Ryan
I am glad to see you got your buck and I hope a moose is soon to follow.

nano
10-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Nice little buck congrats

d6dan
10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Nice little eater buck. congrats and good luck on the moose hunt:-)..

Buckmeister
10-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Which are you gonna eat first?? Grouse or deer? :wink: Both look yummy.

Steeleco
10-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Well done, now to find that elusive moose!!!

5 spike
10-06-2009, 06:30 AM
nice buck, love those antlers congrats

BCJunior
10-06-2009, 07:15 AM
congratz on the good meat
hope ya down a bull!

hillclimber
10-06-2009, 07:17 AM
congrats on the hunt. good luck on the moose draw.

cheers
stefan

Neckshot
10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Wow you really hit that buck hard. You knocked the spots right off it....

Bpower
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the congrats...

I'm not sure but it might have still had some milk on it's lips :lol:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/Painter75/HuntingClinton2009007.jpg

Yeah I know it isn't any trophy buck but it should be pretty good eating anyways. We did come across a trophy buck the day after I took this little guy but it was a bit to quick for my friend and plus he was shaking like a leaf since he had never seen anything as big as it in his 30 years of hunting. He claimed it to be a six point and I don't doubt it since I got a look at it from a distance and there was a massive rack on it.

Looks like we found a pretty good spot to hunt deer anyways, we saw more bucks than does in this particular area and my friend took a small Whitetail the day after I took mine.

jrjonesy
10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the buck!
Thanks for posting the story and pics. Sounds like a good trip.

Neckshot
10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Listen. I think way too much is made of trophy hunting. I am just giving you a big of grief but truth be told hunting is not about antlers. It is about getting out there and respecting nature and harvesting a animal in a humane way and eating it. Congratulations on a job well done.

Bpower
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Listen. I think way too much is made of trophy hunting. I am just giving you a big of grief but truth be told hunting is not about antlers. It is about getting out there and respecting nature and harvesting a animal in a humane way and eating it. Congratulations on a job well done.

Thanks, It was a great trip and I am sure looking forward to going back to the area in November. One of the guys I will be going with has a Doe draw in the same area and will be taking no shame in harvesting an antlerless.