PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger 10/22 Jamming

arcadia
10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I bought a Ruger 10/22 at WSS last year. I didn't fire until this year and have put 40 bullets through it. It jams a lot with the winchester Dynapoint 40 grain that I bought with it. They told me to try Federal Champion 525 in box high velocity 36 grain bullets. I tried them and no difference. I thought these were good reliable guns.

My question is this: Is this typical? Or, is my particular rifle? What should I do?

Dirty
10-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I have heard of the same problem. Try the remington in a yellow and green box. Lightinings or Thunderbolts? They are slightly longer and do not jam as much or at all.

husky30-06
10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
just make sure it is VERY clean and it should work.... my ruger does'nt jam but i do use the thunderbolts..... try those and see

fester
10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
the Federal 525's is what I used and they were fine. It must be very clean as above noted

arcadia
10-05-2009, 08:19 PM
just make sure it is VERY clean and it should work.... my ruger does'nt jam but i do use the thunderbolts..... try those and see

Thanks Bro! I'll try them. I would prefer it it work with all kinds of ammo though. It's clean. It's new.

trailhunter
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
how is it jamming?
How many rounds threw it total?
What magazine are you using?
Is the brass staying in the barrel?

Ive tuned my ruger in many different ways and ive had it apart many many times. And have added many aftermarket parts to improve how it cycles.
PM me with any questions

husky30-06
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks Bro! I'll try them. I would prefer it it work with all kinds of ammo though. It's clean. It's new.

thunderbolts are cheep and do work.... my gun has no mods and i put through about 500 rounds a year.....

500grhollowpoint
10-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Try a volquartsen extractor. http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC10EE/VC2EE

I just bought 3 for my 10 22's. Solves the problem, you can use any ammo again. I found with the stock one it was hit and miss.

Kevin So
10-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Did you clean it before the first shot? some time the factory oil in the barrel and chamber can cause problem. Reclean it with some good cleaner and try again. Hope that would solve it.:)

arcadia
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I will try all of your suggestions until it is fixed.

Thanks again,

arcadia:grin:

BlacktailStalker
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
The lubed ammo works better in mine. Also, the steel lipped clips seem to be more reliable than the plastic ones.

Jager
10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I had a lot of grief with mine too when I first got it. Mine required a serious cleaning to get rid of the factory goo. I also knocked down some machining burrs in the action with my dremel tool. It seems to work fine now but I can understand your frustration.

brotherjack
10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Mine needed a little "break in", and I hear that's pretty common. Buy a few hundred rounds of something loaded pretty hot (CCI Velocitors are ideal), and see if everything isn't a good bit looser and more reliable once you're done with that. That worked for mine (though I hear the extractor thing mentioned above is a pretty common necessity on some guns).

Also, play around with ammo a bit -- it's very likely that it will feed some things great and some not so great. Mine digests DynaPoints, PowerPoint's, Velocitors, and most anything else in the 40 grain/high velocity category with 100% reliability -- but it will start jaming in a heartbeat with the Federal 525's or other sub-40 grain or low-ish velocity loads.

YMMV.

Benthos
10-10-2009, 08:17 PM
i bought a new 10/22 two years ago. with the factory 10rd magazine, i've never had a jam, regardless of what ammo i feed it. i've also never cleaned it:roll:

however, i did buy one of those butler creek hot lips, and the thing jammed constantly, so it basically sits on the shelf. but, the factory mag is awesome.

must be something wrong with the gun if you are getting a lot of jams with the factory mag.

421fighter
10-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Just bought a new 10.22 today and took it to the range, without cleaning it. Lots of jam ups. It seems to double feed, and it is a real **tch to get the mag out with a jammed action. And, yes, I lock the action back, but the last time I had to do some jacknife surgery to get it sorted out. The real annoying part is, I bought it because the BSA .22 we were using was jamming, making it frustrating trying to get grouse if the first shot missed.I am going to try differnt ammo. Hope it works, as I bought an extra mag ( plastic) at the same time. Gonna get a good cleaning this evening, 'though maybe it was me that was taken to the cleaners? D P

trailhunter
10-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I found these fully adjustable mags to help big time with jamimg ...........these things are a little pricey but they are well worth the extra cash. You can take them apart to clean them aswell.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-machined-aluminum-steel-magazine-ruger-1022-p-212.html

trailhunter
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
how did my pm help?

Pioneerman
10-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a 10/22 I bought a couple years ago and no problems at all with all ammo I used, it works well with my stock 10 round clip and with my 50 shot banana clip. BUT, my buddy just bought one cause he was so impressed with mine and if he uses his 10 shot clip it is fine, but if he uses his new 25 shot clip or my 50 it jams. I used all of them in my rifle and no problems, but his only works flawlessly with the 10 shot clip

300WinMag
10-11-2009, 06:43 AM
I have tried a least a dozen different kinds of ammunition in mine. I have never had a jam with CCI Standard Velocity, but it seems to jam occassionally with all of the others that I have tried.

trailhunter
10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
All 10/22's are different from my experence. Thats why the adjustable mag works so well. There are 4 allin screws that you can custom fit tothe reciever on the gun. This changes the angle of the round as it comes outa the mag. Very slick set up.

look

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-machined-aluminum-steel-magazine-ruger-1022-p-212.html

hillman
10-11-2009, 07:41 AM
I don't have a 10/22, but if you go to the rimfire central (RFC) forum there is a ton of information on the 10/22 in every possible configuration.

I have a 77/22 and found the instructions there to disassemble and clean a 10/22 factory mag. Mine just needed a good cleaning after 15 years of use.

digger dogger
10-11-2009, 09:48 AM
i've had a few 10/22's they all worked better dirty after a good cleaning they would jamm a couple times but after a couple dozen rounds the jamming stops try letting it get really dirty and see if that help...werks fer me.dd

RambleOn
10-11-2009, 10:01 AM
If you open up the stock 10 round mag and tighten up the spring it does wonders. I found the same jamming issue, took the mag appart, quick clean, and back together with some good pressure. Not a problem since.

landphil
10-19-2009, 12:39 AM
I got a new 10/22 last year, it always feeds, it "stovepipe" jams on the brass from the previous round causing a missfire. cci stingers seem to work ok but at $7 per box i'm looking for a better option. It's had 1000 rds or so by now, so I'm thinking the vq extractor is my next step - will have to order one after hunting season I think.

bcwelder
11-17-2009, 08:43 PM
i have a buddy that has one too and he cleans his all the time and his always jams too!!i just bought a mossberg plinkster and i have put about 300 rounds through it and it has jambed on me twice! bought it for 200 bucks best in vestment i think.anyway just thought i would mention it.

wolverine
11-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I shoot Remington YellowJackets out of mine and have never had a jam, not even once.

Johnnybear
11-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Keep it clean (like any gun) and the spring thing with the magazine.