PDA

View Full Version : almost succsessful hunt!

theK.G.B
10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
went out yesterday for my first black bear hunt. i went to mu 3-14 on Ainslie rd. N. Boston bar great weather mayby saw 3 hunters in 12 hours. a slight bitter wind was blowing. you could see lots of snow in the high alpine. we drove the road for about 40 minutes and decided to hike to the top of a cut block. no sightings in over an hour. look for track bear scat, nothing. so we move on. when we approach a 800 meter stretch of cliff on one side and rock wall on the other. and there he was. he had nowhere to go. i didnt shoot when i first saw him. he looked kinda small. so i waited about 10 15 seconds to see if he was alone or not. ( i remember my c.o.r.e. instructor telling me if your not sure dont shoot.)
he started and slow trot away from he. so i yelled "OI PRICK" he looked back and i knew he was older than 2 years. it was the 100% conformation i needed. But, he stared running. and my god. i NEVER knew how fast a bear could run. i took a shot with my slug gun. single shot cbc model 151 w/ 30 inch barrel. using winchester super x 2 3/4 hollow point. any way, i missed my shot. so i did a walk toward where i thought he was and came across the oddest thing. remember the cliff on one side and a rock wall on the other! i guess in a mad dash for safety he ran right off the cliff. i dont really know how to describe the condition of the cliff it was not straigh up and down, but really loose fine dirt on a roughly 60* angle. you could see where he took the leap of faith. about 8 feet down from the road was imprint on landing , but the next imprint was about 20- 30 ft down and just got farther and farther apart. he was at he rivers edge at the very bottom of the valley. i used 200 feet of rope plus another hunter(dan thanks for you help) winch cable 65 feet. he lowerd me into the valley. once i was outta line. the range finder said it was another 615 yards to the bottom. poor bear. i felt bad cause i didnt shoot him, but he died trying to survive. soo
i will take the cost of a blackbear tag and the cost of a game cutter and donate it to the bcwf. i will post pics soon of the daring rescue effort.
cheers and happy reading
jon

Blainer
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
That is an unreal scenario.
I don't believe you can fault yourself,as hunting is not an exact science and unforseen events occur.
Not the best way to start your first bear hunt,but unlikely to ever happen again.

Steeleco
10-05-2009, 07:31 PM
My appologies, I guess I wasn't paying attention when I read your tale the first time. That has got to be one of the most unfotunate stories I've read in a long time. Both for you and the bear. Mother nature can be a real Beatch sometimes.

hillclimber
10-05-2009, 07:48 PM
a strange day for sure. i know you said you feel bad but its just a bear. good on you though for recovering it and donating it and what not. tomorrow is another day!

theK.G.B
10-05-2009, 08:26 PM
That is an unreal scenario.
I don't believe you can fault yourself,as hunting is not an exact science and unforseen events occur.
Not the best way to start your first bear hunt,but unlikely to ever happen again.
i dont really fault myself. just seems like an aful waste to me