PDA

View Full Version : FSRs on weekdays -- OK to drive 'em?

seanps
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi all:

I'm relatively new to BC.

I understand some FSRs are active logging roads during the week, with crews taking a break on Saturday/Sunday. I'm thinking of driving some roads on the occasional weekday (so far, I've only done so on weekends).

Other than being extra cautious, anything I should know about being on a FSR during working hours?

Big7
10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Loaded trucks or any traffic for that matter on their way out of the bush have the right of way...pull over and give them room to pass. Most FSR's are radio "assissted" so it doesn't mean that you MUST have a radio to travel on them but it is definately safer. If you have or have access to a truck radio or hand held it would be a good idea to have the frequencies programmed into your radio. Also gives you a means of communication incase you break down or something. It also wouldn't hurt to check with the FS or local mills to see which roads are being actively hauled on.

Big7

seanps
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Would that be a VHF radio, or a CB?

Big7
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
VHF - I have one in my truck and a hand held...the hand held is an ICOM and you can pick them up for 3 to 400 bucks for a good one. I use both a ton - a very valuable investment. Go to your local radio/sat phone etc store and they should be able to help you. You may even be able to rent one for a hunt if you needed to.

Squirrelnuts
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Just a heads-up that not all work stops on weekends. If you're out there on a weekday, follow an empty in (or a load out).

For the most part, once you safely meet the first truck he'll radio following traffic to let them know there's a truck with no radio heading in. No need to only go out on weekends. Just be extra careful, go slow, stay on your own side and you'll be fine. That said, if you can rent a radio, do it.

T300WSM
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Also if there is heavy traffic on the road you can wait until you see someone going the same way and just follow them and they will call KMs for both of you. But most times just don't go to fast and watch and keep out of the way.

demlake
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Another tip might be to contact the Forest Service and ask which roads are okay without a radio. Some are a lot wider than others.

N-W-Redneck
10-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Another tip might be to contact the Forest Service and ask which roads are okay without a radio. Some are a lot wider than others.

Good advice!

Some are completely radio controlled for set hours on weekdays. (8am to 5pm around here IIRC) They are not wide enough for an offroad hauler and almost anything else with four wheels. And two wheels wouldn't even be noticed until he got to the end and had to hose off the front of his truck. :eek:

Your pickup might make him spill his coffee though. :biggrin: